Pet Peeve! Catnip treated beds/furniture

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My three cats get very aggressive at the very hint of catnip and it really annoys me when I see the cutest bed for sale, but it's packaged or treated with catnip. I've passed up quite a few cat trees and beds for this reason.
Why not leave that decision to the buyer?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand. Being one who makes and sells cat toys and beds, I've learned a couple things. First, the majoity of people buy things because it has catnip. It's easier and less costly to infuse the catnip scent as you make it, so if you sold it with catnip on the side in a scent proof container, it would actually cost more to give the buyer the option. If I were to mass produce (which I don't), I would produce products with the highest potential to sell at the least cost.

As a small time manufacturer, I offer things with catnip, but will custom make to exclude it. Doing this for about 5 years now, I've only had 1 person ask me to make something without catnip. I also do dog squeaky toys and I've had some people ask me for the toy without the squeaker. I make those to order as that is the exception and I can't afford to stock up quantities of them if I never sell them. It's just not practical to do it any other way.

Using the words of marketers, you are too small a niche market. Manufacturers can't afford to cater to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Using the words of marketers, you are too small a niche market. Manufacturers can't afford to cater to you.
I always knew I was special!
I suppose I could buy the bed and just run it through the washing machine, but that's hard to do with a carpeted cat tree.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I always knew I was special!
I suppose I could buy the bed and just run it through the washing machine, but that's hard to do with a carpeted cat tree.
That's exactly right!! You could also try to spray the tree with an odor neutralizer.