Left Out In The Cold

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got lost the other night trying to get to a friends house. I ended up knocking on the door of a house with the same number on a street with a similar sounding name. This pudgy white tom cat came over to me and started rubbing against my leg and wanting to be let inside and I thought "awwww. I didn't know S___ owned a cat" and then I got a close look at the cat.

His eyelids were swollen and inverted from the cold wind. This caused his eyelashes to rub against his eyes, irritating them and trapping bacteria. I couldn't even tell what color his eyes were because the was so much mucus/infection over them and all around his eyes was stained brown from it. His left ear was black from frost bite and ready to fall off. His fur was oily a dirty.

But he was soooo sweet and friendly. I put him in my truck and took him down to the SPCA. Washed his face, gave him food, etc. We took him to the vet the next morning and now he's on eye drops, antibiotics, ear drops, and we're soaking his frost bitten ear till the dead flesh falls off.

I was thinking about it last night while laying in bed and I almost started crying. He's obviously not feral, he's comfortable with humans, he sought out my attention when he saw me. Someone owned/owns him. What kind of person just leaves an animal outside around d here in the winter? It gets down to -40c. What happened to that cat is horrible animal cruelty. And he still loves people.

He's doing better a week later, thank goodness. I can't help but wonder how many other cats are wandering around in this cold still.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That poor, poor baby
. How could anyone just leave their animals outside in the freezing weather? He is so beautiful too. Thank god he found you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Awww.... poor baby
That's so sad!
Is he still at the SPCA?
He's still there. He's got to finish his treatments and get neutered. I took him out of the ISO kennel and he stays in my office now so he can have peace and quiet.

We got a call about him recently. His name is Bailey and he's 9. From what I've been told, his owners were on vacation and they had someone just checking in on him and feeding him while they were gone. This person neglected to tell them that Bailey had escaped till 2 days before they were to arrive back.

I don't know if they're telling the truth. It makes sense. Bailey is very affectionate, it doesn't seem like anyone was ever abusive toward him.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatyaBella

He's still there. He's got to finish his treatments and get neutered. I took him out of the ISO kennel and he stays in my office now so he can have peace and quiet.

We got a call about him recently. His name is Bailey and he's 9. From what I've been told, his owners were on vacation and they had someone just checking in on him and feeding him while they were gone. This person neglected to tell them that Bailey had escaped till 2 days before they were to arrive back.

I don't know if they're telling the truth. It makes sense. Bailey is very affectionate, it doesn't seem like anyone was ever abusive toward him.
Oh, that's great news!!! I do think it makes sense too, after all, if this was an unwanted kitten, they would not go through the trouble of calling for him. Are they going to pick him up?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, such a beautiful boy! You were his angel! Some divine force got you lost so you could rescue him. I guess HIS prayers were answered!!!
So you volunteer for the SPCA - too many coincidences for me!!!!!

If that were my cat, the so-called catsitter would get a serious verbal lashing...

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad!The poor boy
and he is so handsome! If I were those owners I would be pretty ticked off at the person "caring" for my cat!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Oh, such a beautiful boy! You were his angel! Some divine force got you lost so you could rescue him. I guess HIS prayers were answered!!!
So you volunteer for the SPCA - too many coincidences for me!!!!!

If that were my cat, the so-called catsitter would get a serious verbal lashing...
You are his guardian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bailey's owners arrived in town yesterday and we're going to be releasing him back into their care after he's finished his antibiotic treatments.

I'm gonna miss him
I was getting used to him being my lunch break buddy. He had little "conversations"

"My new books finally arrived in the mail this morning"
"Mmmraaww."
"Yeah, but express shipping is expensive."
"Merowww. Mmiirrrmmm"
"Well, unlike you, I can wait."
"Mmmraw."

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy! How horrible that he went through what he did

If I were his family I would sue the person who was supposedly looking after him.