Pet Planet - For People In Alberta And Southern Ontario

triv85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been rather sick of the popular pet store chains in my area (Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario). The quality and customer service isn't always helpful, and the wide selection of food (most of which is full of garbage and dreaded by-products) has always confused me. So many of the products, both food and litter, I have been looking for have not been found.

About a month ago a new pet-store opened up by our place called Pet Planet. At first I thought it was a small, local pet store. I decided to check it out... and, pardon my french, but holy CRAP is the selection amazing.

First off, I haven't been able to find a single place in town that sells Orijen dry food. This store has about 3 different sizes of bags of this food! Two flavours! And for dogs as well! The wet food selection? Absolutely NO sign of meat by-products! Zero. Zilch. They have Natural Balance, Almo Nature, and plenty others to dig through. They also have SWheat kitty litter in various sizes as well as other healthy non-clay litter. The customer service is excepional. I threw question after question after question at the lady I spoke with and she knew exactly what she was talking about. Very friendly too.

They're primarily out of Alberta, Canada. I think some stores in Calgary and others in the area surrounding. They are expanding into Ontario now, but I'm not sure if there are other stores in the province besides here in K-W. I would look at your area on Google maps and do a search for Pet Planet.

I hope everyone finds what their kitties need and deserve! Good hunting!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's excellent information. Let's hope the personnel they have in any other of their stores are as knowledgeable as the one in yours.

Luckily, I live in a really, really small town where there are few stores but we do have a pet store. The lady is amazing and started ordering whatever I wanted and now has other customers using the same good products. I'll support her and buy from her just because she supported me but I love hearing about such a good store. Thanks for letting us know.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always nice to see another pet store making its way into the competition.
I personally can't stand the 2 Petsmart stores by me. The selection for cats is very limiting, cheap and not very thrilling. The store is really mainly for dogs. I have purchased many cat products online, instead.

I'm just north of Toronto and I'm very lucky when it comes to choice for food, though. Between Global Pet Foods and Pet Valu I have found everything that I need. The one Global store I frequent will order in anything I need so I'm always asking her about new products. I love store managers like this.

I recently came across By Nature canned food and looked up where they sold it. To my surprise, I found they sold it at a large human health food store near me - Nature's Emporium!

So, if you have a large health food store in your area, check out if they carry any pet products.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

It's always nice to see another pet store making its way into the competition.
I personally can't stand the 2 Petsmart stores by me. The selection for cats is very limiting, cheap and not very thrilling. The store is really mainly for dogs. I have purchased many cat products online, instead.

I'm just north of Toronto and I'm very lucky when it comes to choice for food, though. Between Global Pet Foods and Pet Valu I have found everything that I need. The one Global store I frequent will order in anything I need so I'm always asking her about new products. I love store managers like this.

I recently came across By Nature canned food and looked up where they sold it. To my surprise, I found they sold it at a large human health food store new me - Nature's Emporium!

So, if you have a large health food store in your area, check out if they carry any pet products.
That is a good idea! i should check one of those out myself!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have such a hard time keeping my mouth shut when I see people at the checkout in our grocery store with horrible cat food.

I hope more and more pet food stores get staff that know good food and can help provide their customers with more knowledge about the quality of food they are feeding their animals.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We recently discovered the Pet Planet too, and were really impressed. The manager was great, she sounded knowledgeable and took the time to listen to us and try to find a product that would work. Pet Valu have been good too, but I'm pleased to see another high standard store open up. It's always good to have options.
Apparently, the chose the KW region to start up in Ontario! We were kinda chuffed about that.