What are the chances that Keller will have a deaf kitten?

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only tom cats I saw around the time Keller got out were a grey tabby and a yellow and white tabby. Is there a chance she could have an all white, deaf kitten?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she's white she'll probably have some white kittens, because white covers everything else... Percentages, well, you'll have to talk to someone else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just afraid she will have a deaf one like herself. I wouldn't be able to trust anyone to take care of it and have to keep it for myself
. My husband is hoping there is not one

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keller is a Siberian, but not the best specimen
She was the runt of the litter and deaf. Her previous owners bred her once anyway. She came to me after she contacted ringworm and they didn't want the rest of the cats and dogs (they also bred Chihuahuas) to get it. After ringworm she had a nasty URI. Then my husband lost his job...a bunch of circumstances that just got in the way of her spay. Here we are!
She is a wonderful girl, a great personality, and doesn't mind the kids making all kinds of noise

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My friend in Alabama bred snowshoes and one of the moms was deaf.
She never had a deaf kitten ever and was a very good mom.

That is good to know. I hope that Keller doesn't have any either.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

its quite likely that some of the kittens may be deaf.

statistically

65- 85% of white cats with blue eyes are deaf
40% of white cats with one blue eye are deaf
20% of white cats with non- blue eyes are deaf

some cats may be only deaf on one ear, this is invaribly on the same side as the blue eye.

If she has two copies of the W gene that leads to cats being completely white (one from her father, one from her mother) all of the kittens will be white, if she has only one copy statistically 50% of the litter will be pure white. The non- white kittens of the litter shouldn't be deaf.

Try to contact her former owner and ask him if there were deaf kittens in her previous litter- this may help you predict how likely deaf kittens will be.

A deaf cat shouldn't really be used for breeding- I know that this wasn't intentional but I'd still like to stress that you should get her neutered as soon as possible. Be aware that cats can come into heat 2-3 weeks after giving birth, so don't let her escape again. You should consider getting her spayed when the litter is weaned, which would be when the litter's about 6 weeks old.

Christine

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My friend in Alabama bred snowshoes and one of the moms was deaf.
She never had a deaf kitten ever and was a very good mom.

Hi,

snowshoes aren't all white, so you can't compare this with white cats- the genes involved are not the same.

Christine

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be spayed as soon as possible, we have the money set aside already. I really hope we luck out and get no deaf kittens

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I think we still have a week