Am I crazy for doing this again? Can't help it:(

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone:

I don't know if you all remember that i have helped and spayed/neutered lots of cats in the neighborhood and I've had also found homes for lots of them. Well, after I spayed that last stray cat my Mom made me promise that I wasn't going to do it again, because caring for them is not easy for us, we have 6 already, but last week a pregnat black and white Mamma cat came when I was feeding my kitties. I went outside to clean some bowls and she must have smelled the food because she was at the door and she looked at me and just cried and cried. She is soo pregnant but soo thin!

I got inside and just cried, I know I'm getting myself in trouble but I can't ignore that, she is pregnant and she is hungry! It is weird how these Mommy cats keep finding me and asking me for food. I went to my Mom and told her and she felt sorry for the cat and she agreed with me, so I've been feeding her. I can't keep the Mommy cat, so I don't know what I'm going to do, but I will help her and I will try to help her babies. I will try to find homes for them and I will then try to catch her and get her spayed. I just wish she had her babies here instead of having them in a weird place that I can't access. I don't know what to do about that.

Thanks for listening

Tamar

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont think you are crazy for doing this again....Its a never ending thing for me.. Some cats just show up when they know theres a feeding cat lover in the neighborhood.. Maybe if you set her up a box and a blanket she will have her babies close by... Does she let you pet her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best is probably if you have a brave and good surgeon-vet who does the spaying right away now.
For an experienced vet surgeon it is not any big deal.
although it may be an ethical question, especielly if you have possibility to get the kittens decent adoptive homes.
But most less experienced vets refuses.

Your course is ok, and I think you will succeed whatever you do. She felt you are a good helper, and she will rely on you as long as it goes.

Many warm hugs to you, and some also for your mom who allows you to help.
Many good

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I just can't see her go hungry while she is pregnant. I have a vet that spays feral cats, she is a wonderful vet. No, she doesn't let me pet her, I don't think she has had any contact with humans.

I know that some people do it, but I can't let the vet do an abortion on her, I just can't do it, I respect the people who can do it, but I can't. Besides, she is too pregnant, I thknk the babies are due any day. I will prepare a box and blanket just in case, but I think she will go hide them, she doesn't trust me enough.

I will let you all know what happens

Tamar

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bless your warm heart!
I swear, strays have a radar for cat lovers! I hope momma and babies do well and that you're successful in finding homes for the babies and spaying mom afterward. Maybe you can place a box farther away from your house, but still somewhere where you can access it? Maybe mom will be more cooperative with that? Good luck!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are awesome!!!and ofcourse your not crazy to do it again! you have a warm and caring heart!bless you for caring for animals that noone else cares for

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

The best is probably if you have a brave and good surgeon-vet who does the spaying right away now.
For an experienced vet surgeon it is not any big deal.
although it may be an ethical question, especielly if you have possibility to get the kittens decent adoptive homes.
But most less experienced vets refuses.

Your course is ok, and I think you will succeed whatever you do. She felt you are a good helper, and she will rely on you as long as it goes.

Many warm hugs to you, and some also for your mom who allows you to help.
Many good
I wouldn't dream of letting some "spay happy" vet do an abortion/spay on any of my cats. Besides, that's just sick and heartless. Very unimpressed by this statement.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our experience has been that if you put the food out regularly, she'll bring the kittens when they're old enough to eat it.

Many would try to trap her and if you have an extra room, put her in there so it is much easier to socialize the kittens.
If you're unable to trap her before she has the kittens, or you don't have the room or time or resources to foster her/the kittens, then it really is best to let her raise them, and try to trap them around 10 weeks old and get them adopted out by people who understand they're not necessarily "people ready" and will need a little work.

Otherwise, you can try to find fosters for them, so then they'd be fostered and in a network that adopts out.
We used http://www.petfinder.com and contacted all the rescues within a several hour drive. We e-mailed 23 places, got two responses, and one of them was willing to take the momma and the kittens (we managed to crate her just before she went into labor).

You're an

Laurie