Xander doesn't like his wet food anymore

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got Xander he wouldn't eat much wet food. He would have a few bites and would only eat certain brands. Over time I got him to eat more and more, where he was having 2 regular meals of it per day with Riley, and he would eat most of the brands (I rotate with about 7 brands/flavors).

Lately he has gone back to being picky about which ones he will eat, and now will only eat a few bites of 2 flavors and won't touch the rest). He is still eating plenty because he's eating more of the dry food than before.

My question is, should I offer him some "cheaper" brands of wet, just to ensure that he gets more wet? I don't want him to end up eating only dry but he seems to not like most of the wet anymore.

Thoughts?

p.s. He is perfectly healthy, had his checkup recently, still has an appetite for his dry food, treats, etc., just doesn't want his wet anymore.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several, probably most, of my cats don't like anything high quality - and I am limited in what the pet store an hour from here carries. They often eat a fair amount of "junk" wet food - as IMO high quality dry & junky wet is better than no wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Several, probably most, of my cats don't like anything high quality - and I am limited in what the pet store an hour from here carries. They often eat a fair amount of "junk" wet food - as IMO high quality dry & junky wet is better than no wet.
That's what I was thinking. He will still somewhat eat 2 of the brands but tends to more lick the gravy from them and eat only a little of the actual food. I may get him some meow mix and FF to offer part of the time so that he still gets some wet. I just have to make sure Riley doesn't eat it since the MM may have been a factor in him being sick last fall.

Luckily Riley is still a skinny boy since he's been eating twice as much since he eats what xander doesn't

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guys don't really like the pate style, but the Friskies Special Diets have a few flavors they looovvveeee! They go nuts for the Beef & Chicken, as well as the Ocean Whitefish, and the plain old Salmon special diet. I try to keep an even balance of fish/non-fish.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with Fancy Feast. Have you tried the Max Cat cannned? Mine hate any of the gravy ones - they like the solid.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd go with Fancy Feast. Have you tried the Max Cat cannned? Mine hate any of the gravy ones - they like the solid.
Yes, Max Cat is one of the ones he has stopped eating. He will eat Avoderm select chicken chunks with gravy and he will eat Nature's Variety (the homestyle stew kind).

He has stopped eating Max Cat, Evo, Wellness and California Natural (which used to be his favorite!)

I may try some of that Halo stew kind, has anyone tried that?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No one here liked Halo. I found it nasty looking too....it's similar to consistency to Merrick's (well, it's like stew), but nastier.
I'm a spaz about the way it looks, if it grosses me out, I have a hard time feeding it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Riley used to love Merricks but won't touch it now. Xander didn't like it at all. I don't blame him though, its one I always thought smelled awful

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger is my most picky girl and she will ONLY eat MM tuna and shrimp, so that's what she gets, because at least I know she's getting SOME wet food in her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Ginger is my most picky girl and she will ONLY eat MM tuna and shrimp, so that's what she gets, because at least I know she's getting SOME wet food in her.
I think it's those shrimp in that, seems to be the MM that's the favorite around here, too!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to think Nabu can read labels.
If the can doesn't say Purina, he's not eating it.
He is SO picky. He's going to be 12 in May, and I've long since decided to just give him what he wants. Fancy Feast and Friskies are his favorites. He's so bad he must have something in gravy for breakfast, or he doesn't eat well the rest of the day. So it's gravy in the a.m. and loaf style at night.
He has a dry food of his liking to snack on during the day. My other 2 aren't picky like he is.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I think it's those shrimp in that, seems to be the MM that's the favorite around here, too!
Actually, a lot of times she leaves the shrimp - it's the "gravy" that she likes best, but she'll eat most of the meat since it is very finely shredded.

The scavangers usually finish the rest of her plate, but she's the smart one: she sits and eats until it's nearly all gone, then when she's done, she's done. She knows there's no way she can save any for later, not with the others who tend to prefer a smorgasborg selection for dinner, and like to come and go over a matter of a few hours, nibbling here and there.

Baby Bonnie is known to travel from plate to plate to plate, eating a little bit of everyone's dinner, then going around again. So I never bother to give her one of her own - she'd rather eat everyone else's!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine used to eat the nutro/max pouches then the recalls hit and well that ended that

they only eat a gravy, shredded, diced type food they won't touch a pate/loaf style.. period.

I went the fancy feast, proplan, friskies route, it's where we still sit to this day and probably always will, i tried other higher end foods but nope they wouldn't touch it, i could mix it...offer a thousand and one flavors and they would walk away lol

Their are still certain flavors, types that only some will eat, others won't

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he would go back later and have another bite except that Riley waits till he's gone and runs right over to finish it for him
He's getting quality dry so I'm not too worried about giving him some cheaper wet.

I'll buy a variety this weekend and see if he will eat it.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The new cats will only eat Natures Variety and Pro Plan dry mixed and then the Pro Plan wet chicken entree. I would like to try another dry and move to a better brand of wet food, but they turn their picky noses up at all the other stuff we have tried to give them.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've made me feel better about my failure to get my guy to eat high quality wet food. There's a great pet store nearby that carries all the good brands, and I've tried them all during the past 8 months since I adopted him. With some (e.g., Weruva), he'll eat the gravy but none of the actual meat. All others, he hates. He holds out for Fancy Feast or Meow Mix--the latter is his current favorite and the only one where he eats it all--gravy and meat. In FF, he gets the pate--mainly beef and chicken. (I tried raw, too, because he seemed to like raw hamburger, but when I introduced the cat food mixed with the hamburger, he rejected it completely and now won't touch anything raw!)

Oddly, he ONLY likes high-end dry--I feed Fromm and Taste of the Wild--but he doesn't eat much dry at all.