He's been acting so weird lately

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what's going on. I've had my cat for almost 2 years now and he has always slept with me on my bed. But recently, about 2 weeks ago, he's stopped doing that. Now, he sleeps on the floor right outside my room. My door is open but he refuses to come inside. What's weird though is why he's sleeping right outside. I mean, I can see him clearly from my bed but he won't come in. Even when I go and get him and put in on my bed, he runs away again.

But every morning he does come in and takes a nap on my chair. But he gets really tense sometimes for no apparent reason. He'll be sleeping one minute with all 4 paws in the air, and the next he'll be staring at things that i can't see which scares me a little bit. He gets this really really intense look in his eyes.

Today, he decided to attack my curtains. But, his claws got stuck on them so he was dangling in midair for a few seconds. Before I could get to him and help him, he fell down....pulling the curtains down with him. After making sure he wasn't hurt, I started to yell at him. (I kinda felt bad about that doing that) I've never really yelled at him before, but I was so mad cause it takes a really long time to get my curtains up and now thanks to him, I have to do it all over again.

After he got over the yelling, he comes back inside and just stares around my room focused on something that's invisible to me. I don't think it's a bug cause bugs never bothered him before. And if it was, I would have seen it too by now. He's focused on one particular spot.

What do you think is going on?

He's really freaking me out with the staring

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you have ghosts in your bedroom and he's afraid of them.

Honestly, I haven't a clue unless something happened to him that spooked him.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a ceiling fan that you've recently turned on? Years ago I had a cat that could have cared less about ceiling fans, on or off. One day my husband picked him up and Orfie looked right above his head and saw that fan running, panicked, and he never came into my room again if it was on. He regularly came in if it was off.

Definitely sounds like something has spooked him. What could he have seen outside that window? Is it a first floor window?

I've also had cats look at "something" right behind me or over my head, and I just wait to be attacked by whatever. But nothing is ever there. Who knows what "dimensions" a cat is seeing into?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Maybe you have ghosts in your bedroom and he's afraid of them.

Honestly, I haven't a clue unless something happened to him that spooked him.
lol, I hope not.

Originally Posted by threecatowner

Is there a ceiling fan that you've recently turned on? Years ago I had a cat that could have cared less about ceiling fans, on or off. One day my husband picked him up and Orfie looked right above his head and saw that fan running, panicked, and he never came into my room again if it was on. He regularly came in if it was off.

Definitely sounds like something has spooked him. What could he have seen outside that window? Is it a first floor window?

I've also had cats look at "something" right behind me or over my head, and I just wait to be attacked by whatever. But nothing is ever there. Who knows what "dimensions" a cat is seeing into?
I don't have a ceiling fan.

I don't think he could have seen anything outside cause my curtains were closed unless he saw through a crack or something. It was on the second floor.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I have no idea if it could be anything like this or not. But when one of our kitties got sick - a disease, not a cough, not vomiting - the first thing he did was start turning around if he was asleep in a room we went into. He'd just turn his back to us. Then he'd start leaving the room we were in. That was it. Thank goodness hubby said, you know, he's acting weird, I think we should take him to the vet.

I have NO IDEA if this could be that kind of behavior. But sometimes it's just weird changes in behavior that can signal an illness you can't otherwise see. Tuxie kept eating, he was playing, no problems with the litter box.... it was just that small change in behavior.

Laurie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I have NO IDEA if this could be that kind of behavior. But sometimes it's just weird changes in behavior that can signal an illness you can't otherwise see. Tuxie kept eating, he was playing, no problems with the litter box.... it was just that small change in behavior.
I have to agree. Any sudden change in behavior in my household is usually narrowed down to a few things: someone is sick, we've added a new pet, a stray has shown up outside, or we've changed our routines and its thrown the cats off. I've had cats spooked by something, but they usually forget about it in a few days at most.

Watch his food and water intake, and his litter box very carefully for any changes. If this doesn't stop or you notice other small things, you might want to consider a trip to the vet.

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I have to agree. Any sudden change in behavior in my household is usually narrowed down to a few things: someone is sick, we've added a new pet, a stray has shown up outside, or we've changed our routines and its thrown the cats off. I've had cats spooked by something, but they usually forget about it in a few days at most.

Watch his food and water intake, and his litter box very carefully for any changes. If this doesn't stop or you notice other small things, you might want to consider a trip to the vet.
My cat is behaving like LDG's kitty. He's eating, drinking and using the litter box. I don't notice any changes. He's just as active and playful as he ever was. It's just this strange staring that I'm worried about. I think I am going to take him to the vet if it still continues for another week, just to be on the safe side.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ixi

My cat is behaving like LDG's kitty. He's eating, drinking and using the litter box. I don't notice any changes. He's just as active and playful as he ever was. It's just this strange staring that I'm worried about. I think I am going to take him to the vet if it still continues for another week, just to be on the safe side.
Probably a good idea to get him checked out, just to be sure

Might not hurt to get yourself checked also, cats can sometimes sense if a person is sick and doesn't know it. Any chance you are having trouble sleeping and maybe disturbing him at night without realizing it?

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Probably a good idea to get him checked out, just to be sure

Might not hurt to get yourself checked also, cats can sometimes sense if a person is sick and doesn't know it. Any chance you are having trouble sleeping and maybe disturbing him at night without realizing it?
I do toss and turn a lot but I don't think I'm doing that more than usual. Before, he would just glare and meow at me to let me him I was disturbing his sleep, lol.