Any Dieticians here? Or has anyone seen one?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've battled weight for most of my life, and will post a whole thread on my weight journey but in this post, I was wondering if we had any registered dieticians on here, or if anyone here has had experience with them.

Could you share whether you are a dietician or if you've gone to see one and how it worked out for you?

thx

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I've battled weight for most of my life, and will post a whole thread on my weight journey but in this post, I was wondering if we had any registered dieticians on here, or if anyone here has had experience with them.

Could you share whether you are a dietician or if you've gone to see one and how it worked out for you?

thx
Well, my first thought would be to talk to your regular doctor first, and rule out any medical conditions if you haven't already. Then talk to the doctor about nutrition and such, and if he (or she) would refer you to a nutritionist or dietitian.

My doctor didn't send me to a nutritionist, but flat out told me what he wanted me to do (he's a holistic doctor) based on my health. I've never been great at losing weight and keeping it off. So far, I've lost 27lbs and haven't been gaining any back.

Good luck!!!

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been to see a nutritionist as part of an Eating Disorder Program. She gave me some basic guidelines which were very helpful, but different from what I'm used to hearing. She would give me meal plans using things like, "For lunch, have 1/2 fat, 2 protein, 1 carb." I had a list of fat, protein, dairy, and carb servings that i could refer to.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While not a dietician my college degree is in nutrition! For weight loss it depends on how specific you need to be. Do you want general eating guidelines or follow a strict plan of what exactly to eat in a given day??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

While not a dietician my college degree is in nutrition! For weight loss it depends on how specific you need to be. Do you want general eating guidelines or follow a strict plan of what exactly to eat in a given day??
I'm looking for general guidelines because strict plans tend to not agree with me.

I do know for a fact that I personally need to watch my portion sizes, as well as eat more fruits and veggies. I tend to not put alot of effort into what I eat, I used to but now its physically difficult for me to cut up/peel/slice veggies and I've never been a big fruit eater.

My main downfall is carbs. I like them. I like bread, tortilla chips, pasta, etc. and generally those are quick easy prep.

I do not keep regular chips in my house. That is my major downfall, I cannot stop eating them... I'll munch till the bag is gone. So we don't keep them here.

Prior to having the physical issues with the prep of food, I did pretty well. My family does not really like alot of the foods I like so I would make 2 meals at dinner time.... if they were having fish sticks and fries, I would have steamed fish fillet on rice....if they are having mac and cheese, I would have whole wheat noodles and some soup as a sauce (with veggies mixed in).

Now that I think about it, maybe I should start buying frozen veggies or canned over fresh....that would be easier on me for prep.

thx for any tips