My pets may need help!

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having a dilemma. I'm currently living in an apt and have been waiting for about a year to get the money I need to start looking for a house. My apt wants me to renew my lease for at least 6 months or go month to month. My bf gave me the option of moving in with him so I think that is what I'm going to do.

He said ok to the 2 kitties but he is really unsure of my 2 guinea pigs and 2 rats. I don't want to give them up and feel really bad. The rats I saved from being snake food and I adopted one guinea pig via petco and another was given to me. If I was to get my own house I would take them with me, but it doesn't look like it's gonna be anytime soon.

I am not sure what I should do with my guineas and rats. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The prob with that is its $55 more a month and who knows when I will get the house. Otherwise I could do a 6 mo lease but be stuck here til november.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a package deal! Where you go your pets go with you. Shame on your boyfriend for telling you that you can't bring them with you.

Sorry to say, but if it were me, I'd ditch him just for that!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why doesn't he want them? How much trouble could they be? You'd think he'd be more hesitant about the cats. I agree with the others that posted, you made a commitment to your pets when you got them. Pay the extra $55.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He rents a house. I'm sure it would be different if he owned.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally landlords have more issue with cats than anything that can be kept in a cage.

(My former landlord called the rats 'non-pets' because they couldn't make too much mess. (little did he know.) )

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In exchange for $660 per year, you're willing to give up your pets?
The only reason I would ever give up one of my girls is if I were in a situation where I had no other options (ie, I was going to be homeless or something), but not to save a little bit of money.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Offering another opinion:
Has he had much dealing with either the rats or the guineas? I mean I'm sure he has dealt with them some at your house but has he ever actually DEALT with them?

He may just not know much about them, he may believe like so many that ANY rodents are nasty creatures that are not fit to be kept in a home (not that I feel this way, I just know some do.) A lot of people are just not educated in all types of pets or just have never been near them. If I had never had a dog I would be very hesitant if someone asked to move in with me and bring their pitt bull just because of the bad wrap they have been given via media. But since I have been more educated in dogs I know it is all about owner, temperment, etc not just breed.
My mom threw a fit when I brought home a hamster because she thought they were nasty and didnt want them to be in her house but she ended up loving the little guy in the end.

I believe before you take drastic measures like break up with him or accuse him of not loving you enough or anything like that you need to sit down with him and ask him why he isnt sure about those pets. Maybe it is something you can work out and show him they are not how he thinks.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell him you and your pets are a package deal. He should know that anyway. If he doesn't want you to bring your pets, then I would pay month to month until you can afford your own place.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they don't all go - I wouldn't go. What kind of boyfriend would make you give up your pets? IMO, not one worth bothering with.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree renting from month to month as Trout's Mom says. I had two piggies a few years ago and loved the heck out of them. They both lived to be around 5 yrs. old. I know I could never have given them up so I understand how you feel. Keep saving your money and keep those little cuties, all four of them. Good luck to you.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

I agree renting from month to month as Trout's Mom says. I had two piggies a few years ago and loved the heck out of them. They both lived to be around 5 yrs. old. I know I could never have given them up so I understand how you feel. Keep saving your money and keep those little cuties, all four of them. Good luck to you.
I also don't understand your boyfriends logic - it sounds like an excuse, as you only need to register with the landlord cats, dogs and fish (because of the aquarium)... It sounds to me he has a personal problem with the rats and guinea pig...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister told me last night that her bf is renting the place.
I told her to find out if pets are even allowed.
If not then stay at her place. She is going to talk to our lender tomorrow about getting a house.
We are waiting for the money from my grandparents house to come in so she will have a down payment.