Has anyone tried an emulator?

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am talking about arcade hardware emulators. They are quite fun as you can play anything from arcade games to old nintendo 64 games. I currently am using Project64 and FinalBurn Alpha. With FinalBurn, I can actually play all the old Capcom Street Fighter games from the arcades. With Project64, I can actually play games such as Rogue Squadron, GoldenEye 007, and a bunch of others. There are emulators for other systems such as the classic Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and even some for those cool arcade games like Gunblade, Daytona, and the others built off the Sega Model 2 hardware.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex-boyfriend had several emulators in his computer. I think I only used the one for Sega Genesis because I wanted to play The Lionking.

Luckily my old 8bit Nintendo is still working so I don't have to get an emulator for NES..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now, I wish they had an emulator for the XBox 360, at least it be more reliable than the actual console...lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering that most people's pc are about the same power, that will take a while. Generally pc specs have to be double the original console for it to work. As for more reliable... well I remember when they were working on 64, dreamcast, and psone emulators... Reliable is not the word I would have used back then.

I've used several emulators, including a few for the lesser known consoles/computers.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it's technically an emulator, but I use Dosbox. It emulates an old DOS ~6.0 prompt. I use it to play old games from the pre-Windows 2000 days. I used it to play some old games like Might and Magic 3-5, Bard's Tale, or one of the XCOM series. I have had great results in general with Dosbox.

The only other emulator I ever tried was an Apple 2e emulator.
I used it to play Wasteland, which is a game I used to play back in the 80's on my Apple. It seemed to work OK, but you had to actually swap disks (by unmounting and remounting the disk files) so I didn't use it much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Considering that most people's pc are about the same power, that will take a while. Generally pc specs have to be double the original console for it to work. As for more reliable... well I remember when they were working on 64, dreamcast, and psone emulators... Reliable is not the word I would have used back then.

I've used several emulators, including a few for the lesser known consoles/computers.
I meant, more reliable than the actual XBox 360 console is, what with it's 40% failure rate

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

I meant, more reliable than the actual XBox 360 console is, what with it's 40% failure rate
And as I pointed out, it will be a few years at least for technology to even allow it. I do understand where you're coming from with 360s, I have one that had a heat issue that I hope I can save. With them it's pretty much deal with extended warranties and Microsoft or learn how to fix computer problems. Though, if you get into modding you should be able to prevent some of those issues, too, simply by fixing some of the mistakes Microsoft made before the console goes belly up from heat or something else easily fixable.

A little tip if anyone plans to open the case, you need a torx #10. This usually isn't in torx kits unless you have a very large one.

For the time being, most 360 games can also be found on PS3 and PC.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use emulators for Dos games, NES, and SNES. I still use my Nintendos but there are games that are hard to find (like FFII, I use a fan-translated version) that I use on emulators.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been doing VG emulation for ages... quite fun. I started out on my old intel 486 dos machine around 1996 or so running Nesticle and Genecyst (nesticle was fine, Genecyst was fine for RPGs). Our Wii is also totally full of virtual console titles from NES to N64.

I've also done DosBox and Virtual PC on powermac (and intel macs, for that matter), and I've run Basilisk on my intel iMac... and I've also got an asus eee PC running macos 10.5.4, but that doesn't really count as emulation... lots of similar technical challenges for the user, though.

My biggest problem with game emulation is that I always feel like the original controller is really the best option for control input... so I've got a pretty awful collection of random USB gamepads that I've accumulated over the years. Always wanted to get one of those USB adapters for a playstation controller, but I've never gotten around to it.