I feel so guilty when I buy cat products at

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Places that don't support adoption and don't have at least 1 or more rescue cats in their store that they foster until the cat gets adopted out.

I think all pet stores need to do that and if they don't they are not worth my money!

I always buy from places from pet smart because they never sell dogs and cats and ALWAYS have a bunch of shelter cats on display

I was in a rush today and bought a bag of cat litter at the malls pet store i feel so guilty because they have so many kittens and puppy mill dogs i was so disgusted with myself!!!!!!!!!! I will try NEVER to do that again!

After all the effort i go through to help homless/feral unwanted cats i go and do something like this! SHAME ON ME!

Also the place i have bought my cat food from for years use to keep shelter cats one or two at a time and then adopt them out from their stores well i have not seen a cat in there store for over a year, maybe i should start looking for another food store.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I have such a negative response to pet stores!

When a new pet store opened downtown that had puppies in the window (UGH!), I changed my route to work so I wouldn't have to look.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some places do not have cages to house kitties for adoption - but do instead have adoption days on weekends, too....so many places without the facilities to regularly house adoptable kitties do promote adoption in other ways.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to ask one of the workers at the store if they have adoption days. Or maybe there's a sign somewhere there that says so and not easily seen?

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The local PetSmart in my area is that way - they have adoptions every weekend. They also do have kitties in cages throughout the week that are for adoption, but you would have to know they are there. I always visit them!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My petsmart does the same thing with adoptions. I hate pet stores though they don't know how to treat small animals properly (although pet smart is a little betteR). I used to have hamsters, which are solitary animals and fight to death if put together. Well my local pet supermarket had about 20 hamsters put all together in one cage on display. I was revolted. Some hamsters were clearly sick and some were even dead. And then to top it off, after a month or so i went by there and saw 2-3 rabbits, 2-3 guinea pigs, about 20 syrian hamsters and dwarf hamsters all together in the same cage...It's the most unsafe thing i'd ever seen. The rabbits jump without minding the hamsters and could kill the hamsters before they kill each other. I was like OMG that is sooo terrible!! I posted on a hamster forum about this and everyone told me to report the store but I never did it- I just never shop there anymore....They also don't do adoptions at all...Grrr I just HATE pet supermarket SO MUCH!!!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This week-end, we went to visit my DH's mother. We stopped at Rite-Aid for a couple of things. There was a pet store a few doors down. DH asked me if I wanted to go. Part of me did....but a bigger part knew that it would be very hard for me...depressing in fact, because I can't take them all home and give them the same spoiled life that my cats have. I truly beleive that pets need/deserve to have a wonderful spoiled lifestyle.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart sells animals, thus is no better than any other petstore even though they do have adoptions there. The care the animals they do have depends a lot on whether they have a knowledgeable and caring employee to push for the animals to be properly (or at least reasonably) cared for - this isn't Petsmart's doing.

There's a pet store the next town over that the mother and daughter who own it are very involved with getting a shelter in this town built.... I really question why they act as if they care because I remember years ago seeing all the sick poorly cared for animals in their store!
They even had a kitten running loose in the store with tapeworms...

Buy you pet food online if you don't want these places to have your money, find alternative stores for litter (I use chicken feed from a farm supply store), and shop around/make toys/support the members on this site that do.

I've been in to one pet store I liked, and even she had a few issues with her store. But was way ahead of the rest... and even the OKC zoo on care.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm confused, so it's okay to buy an animal from a breeder but not from a petstore? Why is that? It seems the same to me. That's why even though I really want a devon rex cat i am trying to say no to myself, because there are too many shelter animals that need love, a purebred is going to find someone who fancies it quicker and easier....
I think it's okay to sell animals at pet stores as long as they are cared for properly especially the small animals...Pet smart does a fairly okay job, at least my local one. They actually provide good instructions to people buying who buy the hamsters, birds and reptiles, in writing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

They actually provide good instructions to people buying who buy the hamsters, birds and reptiles, in writing.
I haven't looked too closely at the rodents or birds, but the reptile care sheets are poor at best. Even most of the care books they sell are 5-10 years behind, and this tends to be where Petsmart and Petco get their information. I have yet to walk into a Petsmart and not find something wrong with their reptile care - the very obvious being cage sizes, caging reptiles together, and temperatures (even 1 degree off from an accepted temp range is dangerous!).
When you keep these animals you know and understand how they must be properly cared for, the general public does not and this is why pet stores get away with it.

As for buying from a pet store vs. breeder. Breeders have strict contracts that must be signed and good breeders usually guarantee the animal's health. Pet stores often are stocked from BYBs or mills - you rarely know what you're getting.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well compared to other places, pets mart does a good job with rodents. I really don't know anything about reptiles.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well compared to other places, pets mart does a good job with rodents. I really don't know anything about reptiles.
I could probably pick their care for rodents apart, too - though I'm to the point where I don't believe any animal should have it's meals come strictly from a box/bag in a dry form.
I mentioned the OKC zoo in a previous post - their reptile and fish care was horrible, but most people don't know you need to monitor humidity and temp, or that putting a young tortoise or turtle in an aquarium in a high traffic area with no where to hide is downright evil (petco makes this mistake too).

The biggest problem I tend to see with any animal in a cage is substrate issues.

But the main issue still stands, if you feel guilty and don't want to support these places, plan ahead and make accommodations for that. It's not easy, but it can be done. For example, I just spent $50 a few hours ago to order insects, half of that was shipping and it pains me to pay that much but I have no choice. I won't buy insects from that local pet store or bait shops due to price, quality and quantity issues, and not wanting to support that pet store.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Milly (9 week old Raggie) from a pet store which had just opened up in our high street. I know I shouldn't have gone in their but I also know that if I hadn't, I don't know where she would have landed up... so in a way I am glad that I did go have a look... she was in a cage and was soooo sleepy and I just couldn't resist! It took tears and borrowing to get the money to take her home with me!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i'm confused, so it's okay to buy an animal from a breeder but not from a petstore? Why is that? It seems the same to me. That's why even though I really want a devon rex cat i am trying to say no to myself, because there are too many shelter animals that need love, a purebred is going to find someone who fancies it quicker and easier....
I think it's okay to sell animals at pet stores as long as they are cared for properly especially the small animals...Pet smart does a fairly okay job, at least my local one. They actually provide good instructions to people buying who buy the hamsters, birds and reptiles, in writing.
The problem with buying a pet at a pet store, is not only how they treat the pets inside the store - it begins much before that. Most of their pets are coming from back yard breeders, who have a whole bunch of pets that are treated like baby machines. These pets are treated very poorly, in subhuman or (subpet) conditions.
They can't really get pets to sell from a reputable breeder because of the cost, and because a reputable breeder cares and assumes the responsibility for their babies for life. A reputable breeder spends lots of money with the care of their animal, from shows, veterinary care, structure, time, etc. All done seeking to achieve the betterment of the breed. Most of them make no profit from the breeding - it is a hobby, and a passion. They would never sell their pets to a pet store. While a pet store can sell you a pet for $300-400, (paying the BYB half of that, as they run at 50% margins at least), a reputable breeder will sell kittens for around $1,000, so $2,000 for the customer. This makes the sales of a pet from a good breeder nearly impossible.
For a backyard breeder, they are there for the money, and not for the quality of the care or the breed. The more pups and kittens they have, the better.
Have you ever been to a backyard breeder? I have - when I didn't know any better, with my cousin, to buy a puppy. The conditions were so bad, it was disgusting.
SO, by buying a pet at a pet store, you are indirectly promoting backyard breeding, increasing the problems with strays and abandoned animals in shelters, since the pet store is not going to get the pet back if you can no longer take care of it, like a good breeder would.
If you are going to get a kitten from a pet store, go to Petsmart and adopt one... You can also buy a retired cat from a reputable breeder, fro much less $$$ than a kitten.
I hope this helps to clarify your question

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't they have laws against that?? I mean aren't back yard breeders breaking the law?? And how do pet stores get away with it??
I thought that breeders were required by law to adhere to certain standards like breeding animals so that the gene pool of the breed has enough variation to avoid getting wiped out by some genetic disease, or like making sure they are not inbreeding...isn't it against the law to break those standards?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

don't they have laws against that?? I mean aren't back yard breeders breaking the law?? And how do pet stores get away with it??
I thought that breeders were required by law to adhere to certain standards like breeding animals so that the gene pool of the breed has enough variation to avoid getting wiped out by some genetic disease, or like making sure they are not inbreeding...isn't it against the law to break those standards?
Nope - no laws against it, from time to time animal control will intervene in extreme conditions, but by far not nearly enough. It is up to us to not stimulate or promote their business. Pet stores get away with it because if they are inspected, what is seen are the conditions inside of the store, and not on the breeding facility. As far as caring... Well, they are making profit, so that's what they care bout if. (in general)
Backyard breeders and puppy mills let their animal breed on their own, so there is little to none control over the standards of the breed, and health of the off springs - if you buy an animal from them, you are running a big risk of getting a pet with health problems.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's sooo terrible, leaving the animals to breed on their own? OMG. But at the same time, maybe we need to think about lowering cost of reputable breeders' expenses so that their prices can be more affordable. Average people who go to a pet store surely wouldn't spend $2000 on a kitten...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's sooo terrible, leaving the animals to breed on their own? OMG. But at the same time, maybe we need to think about lowering cost of reputable breeders' expenses so that their prices can be more affordable. Average people who go to a pet store surely wouldn't spend $2000 on a kitten...
I don't think this is the answer - the answer is to not buy pets at pet stores of BYB, period.
The demand for pets at pet stores are much higher than reputable breeders can supply, so they will always end up getting their pets at puppy mills (Large scale BYB farm). Most responsible breeders will have a few litters/year, while puppy mills will have many many more. Also, the reputable breeders are not selling their babies for profit, but to cover their costs with a good breeding program; cutting cost would make impossible for them to carry through their programs, and the last thing we want to see is the end of responsible breeding.
IMO, if you can't afford a pet from a good/responsible breeder, you should adopt a pet; there are millions who need a home out there...

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know what you mean.I hate to go into pet stores that sell animals! it really breaks my heart to see the animals caed up (most of the time in too small cages) and thier eyes look so so sad!
The last one my husband and I went into had these 2 kittens that looked so sick! they were very lethargic and when I asked the owner why they were just lying around and not playing or interacting he claimed they just were!and they are tired
....yeah right!So we bought the both of them ( I know it is bad to give them buisness,but this was to save these kittens) and then we got them vetted and fixed and adopted them out ourselves.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I don't think this is the answer - the answer is to not buy pets at pet stores of BYB, period.
The demand for pets at pet stores are much higher than reputable breeders can supply, so they will always end up getting their pets at puppy mills (Large scale BYB farm). Most responsible breeders will have a few litters/year, while puppy mills will have many many more. Also, the reputable breeders are not selling their babies for profit, but to cover their costs with a good breeding program; cutting cost would make impossible for them to carry through their programs, and the last thing we want to see is the end of responsible breeding.
IMO, if you can't afford a pet from a good/responsible breeder, you should adopt a pet; there are millions who need a home out there...
Yes in a perfect world that's the best solution. But I think people are never responsible enough to have this kind of mentality, here on this site yes but in the real world, people don't care.....I really think there should be dtrict regulations about this, explicitly stating how distant relatives need to be in order to mate, size of the place per animal they need to be kept at, health, etc....There is just no other way that I can think of! Because obviously a few responsible people who don't buy at these puppy mills and BYBs is not enough to stop it from happening...