Genettas, new breed?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not liking this very much. TICA has already approved experimental status.

On one hand if I say this shouldn't be allowed, I'm a hypocrite, because bengals were once experimental status. On the other hand, seeing "dwarf" bengals turns my stomach a little. I suppose there will be many that find them cute.

Munchkin bengals. http://www.pawstruk.com/Home.html

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like the idea of breeding Munchkins - so breeding Genettas I don't like anymore than that! To me, it so often seems like everyone is in it for the $$$. And to top it off - did I understand right that these people breed Bengals, Fennec Foxes, Savannahs, & the "new" Genettas? I don't like that one bit....

devanagara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are we sure these aren't Photoshopped? The cats on the front page REALLY don't look believable to me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been against the breeding of Munchkins for a lot of reasons.......and this one is the worse! I agree with you 100% Nial - it makes me want to throw up.

Sorry but when you start crossing Munchkins into other breeds, you are asking for big time trouble. This is one of the reason that I do not like TICA's "ethics".

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tear up seeing those cats pretty much.

Bengals should NOT be bred mixed with munchkins and in "dwarf" form like that.

The whole thing about bengal is to have the super athletic, wild cat stalking motions, strong muscular feline.

Mixing them up to get the small legs goes counter to everything the breed is about (from my point of view anyway). I'm really upset now. *sigh*

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a Back yard breeder with a website to me... There is a Genetta Cat in there for sale for $250, or $450 if for breeding? Who would advertise a breeding cat on their webpage, and with this price tag?
And then they are breeding and selling foxes?
Seriously - pretty disturbing to me - I hope it doesn't become a breed.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, look, GoldenKitty45, they say they may start using ocicats, oriental shorthairs and savanahs in their breeding program for genettas.

Actually, if they want a cat that looks more like an African genet, they will need the OSh for the head shape and longer tail. I guess they want the ocicat for the spotting and possibly all the colors the oci would bring in. Not sure what the savanah would bring in. The breed standard describes a cat that is different - wedge face with a dark mask, very long tail, large rounded ears and short legs.

Right now, they are a ways away from having a domestic cat that looks like a genet. They will need a group of breeders that is dedicated to develop this without getting sidetracked into just producing munchkinized bengals.

Personally, I don't particularly like munchkins, tho the breed does seem to have dodged the health problems that affect shortlegged dogs like the dachshund. So I guess it's becomes personal preference.

Does the world need another breed of cat? Well, there are people who would say we don't need any purebreds at all.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible.
Muchkins have enough defects already.
Genettas will have a lot of problems also.
It makes me sick they come up with all these new breeds that have problems.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are only a small number of Ocicat breeders in the US - and so it may be hard from them to get breeding Ocicats. I know one or two that breed Oci's that I'd never get a cat from and they are crossing their Oci's with Bengals (as they breed them too) - its obvious from the look on the Oci and Bengal kittens! I can tell the difference and I'm new to Oci's.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sam, I agree on the cats on the home page. Did you look at the other pages - ie. the studs? I'm not so sure those can be written off as photoshopped.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's all say a prayer that that does NOT happen! I've already alerted the Oci breeders about it. One of them is alerting her OSH breeder friends.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Let's all say a prayer that that does NOT happen! I've already alerted the Oci breeders about it. One of them is alerting her OSH breeder friends.
Good!

Didn't CFA impose a moritorium of sorts on recognising new breeds to avoid the munchkinizing of other breeds? I can't remember where I read that. Does anyone else know?

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, FerrisCat.

I thought I read something more specific on this. Like - what if some one wanted to breed a short-legged, flat-faced, bob-tailed, hairless cat with folded ears? and this was to prevent that kind of breeding just to have something different. Maybe, it's only wishful thinking on my part.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the studs looked more "real" to me. It still makes me sad that people breed these munchkin cats. I'm glad the NZCF took a strong stand against them.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just looked at the pics on that website and now feel very sick, I've said before that I know nothing about breeding but why anyone would breed cats to look like that or buy one is beyond me. I am so against this munchkin thing, it seems so cruel to me to purposely produce cats with short legs when a cat is supposed to be athletic, the thought of my Emmy and Jupey not being able to jump as far as they do makes me sad.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I tear up seeing those cats pretty much.

Bengals should NOT be bred mixed with munchkins and in "dwarf" form like that.

The whole thing about bengal is to have the super athletic, wild cat stalking motions, strong muscular feline.

Mixing them up to get the small legs goes counter to everything the breed is about (from my point of view anyway). I'm really upset now. *sigh*
I hope it is photoshopped, those poor things look crippled.