TCS and Firefox issues?

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone has noticed me missing of late, this is why! I've used Firefox exclusively for at least two years now, maybe longer, and have never had as much trouble as I have now, I guess for about two weeks now, maybe? Occasionally on any site that I visit, I get the message from FF that "Cannot find" the site, and it asks if you've typed in the address properly, are you sure that its still a site, yadda, yadda, yadda (if you use FF you've probably seen it. But for the past two weeks or so, there have been hours at a time that I cannot connect to TCS for the love of money, just get the same message over and over (mind you, its going from either a bookmark or my history, not manually typed in). I've done it both with other tabs open, and as a single tab, with the same results. Has anyone else had any issues with this, or have any ideas what might be up? FWIW, when it can't find TCS, it finds other sites just fine, and I have not made any changes to any software or hardware, aside from the FF upgrade that I applied Saturday, but didn't change this issue.

Anyone?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem here - I use firefox, and don't have any problems...
Have you tried to update it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

No problem here - I use firefox, and don't have any problems...
Have you tried to update it?
Yup, Just this weekend, no help....as a matter of fact, the time between the original post and this one.....that's where I've been.....no mans land, lol!

For those who don't use FF, this is the notice I get

Address Not Found
Firefox can't find the server at www.thecatsite.com.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of "www.mozilla.org")
* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had any trouble using FF, either. Could it be your firewall? Has that been updated recently?

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I haven't had any trouble using FF, either. Could it be your firewall? Has that been updated recently?
Nope, my firewall has been disabled for about three months now....yeah, I know, bad thing, lol!

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had no problems with Firefox either. Have you tried using a different browser to see if it is a firefox issue or something else.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have tried IE (and remembered why I haven't used it since we got this particular machine, IE is terribly slow on it!) and have logged in.....sigh.

thanks guys....any more ideas??

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problems here, either. Open firefox, try to come to TCS, when it doesn't work go to Tools>Error Console. Look through the errors on there for anything that pertains to this site.

What ad-ons, if any, are you using? If you're using adblocker plus you may have accidentally added TCS to the block list somehow.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

No problems here, either. Open firefox, try to come to TCS, when it doesn't work go to Tools>Error Console. Look through the errors on there for anything that pertains to this site.
Am about to sign off and head for bed, will check that tomorrow when I get a chance (since we have an early morning, may not be until tomorrow evening, lol!) Unless it gives me the error again before I sign off, and it just might.

Originally Posted by strangewings

What ad-ons, if any, are you using? If you're using adblocker plus you may have accidentally added TCS to the block list somehow.
That I'm pretty sure isn't it.. mostly because if was the case, it would be all the time, but I'm not using the adblocker plus, just the basic blocker that comes on FF.

Thanks!!!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first one is from your adblocker, the second I'm not sure if it would cause your issue.

When/if you have time tomorrow, try going into tools>add-ons and disable your blocker and see if TCS loads up. If so, yes TCS accidentally got on the block list - not sure how, but stranger things have happened.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The first one is from your adblocker, the second I'm not sure if it would cause your issue.

When/if you have time tomorrow, try going into tools>add-ons and disable your blocker and see if TCS loads up. If so, yes TCS accidentally got on the block list - not sure how, but stranger things have happened.
Took me a couple of days, actually, lol! But I was partially right, I don't have an ad blocker installed, just the pop up blocker that comes with FF....and TCS is on the sites that pop ups are allowed on......but I sure was hoping!

Any other ideas?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't just you. I frequently get that here, not only with Firefox but also with IE 7.0 too. In fact I spent about 5 minutes getting that message before I could reply to this thread.

My Firefox Error Message:

Address Not Found

www.thecatsite.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
My Internet Explorer Message
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information
I also frequently get Database errors when accessing the Arcade. I made a post about that, but I don't even think anyone replied to it.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It isn't just you. I frequently get that here, not only with Firefox but also with IE 7.0 too. In fact I spent about 5 minutes getting that message before I could reply to this thread.

I also frequently get Database errors when accessing the Arcade. I made a post about that, but I don't even think anyone replied to it.
Thank God I'm not the only one....I think! At least that means that its not just my machine and OS, but that's not good either if there's several of us!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I wonder if both of you are using the same ISP? I am not an expert on the issue, but I do know it can be anywhere between your browser and the site. Have you tried pinging the site to see what happens along the way between your computer and TCS?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on a satellite ISP via WiFi and the only time I get that error is when the TCP/IP protcol hiccoughs or if my connection flicks out (due to wind or rain usually).

I know that doesn't help you

I've used FF exclusively for as many years as it's been available and the only issues I've ever had with it loading were on the ISP side.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Not the same ISP. I live in Canada and use mts.net which is my local telephone company. I believe Kittencrazy is in the USA.
Yep, Southeast USA , FWIW.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get errors with FF, too, though it's a different error. I don't recall the exact wording but it's something about the connection to the server has been reset, try again? With me, though, it happens on other sites, too. Not often enough in any case to get too upset about it. My theory is that FF is timing out too soon while waiting for a response from the server, but I can't figure out how to change it so I can test my theory.