Broke a tooth!!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, man!!!!

My dentist had warned me that this molar was in fragile shape and that it would give way sooner or later. Well, it just broke! oh, boy -dental work. Great. Just great.

Probably have to put a crown on it, his tech told me on the phone.

Wish me luck that I eventually won't need something more drastic.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ouch! Are you in pain? It sure sounds painful...

Hopefully the crown will do the trick. I know they can get expensive, but it's worth taking care of! I have a co-worker whose brother neglected to go to the dentist over several different things and ultimately ended up having pieces of his jawbone shaved off because infection had gotten into his bone.

So just think about that and the expense won't seem like such a bad option.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes!! I broke a tooth last summer but my dentist was able to just put a filling over the area. He said I would probably eventually need the tooth pulled because of crowding. It had been a tight fit around that tooth to where I couldn't floss well there. But a few weeks after he fixed the tooth I noticed I can floss there with no problems! I'm hoping that the part that broke off was what was causing the problem and I can keep all my teeth!!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! Are you ok? I don't know which is worse, tooth pain, dentists working on teeth or the bill !!
Good luck and

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yup same problem here... I lost my crown in one of my molars about a month ago but since I've had root canal, the dentist suggested that I not remove the outer tooth which is still left and at my next appointment (which is tomorrow) he'll do an extraction... yesterday whilst eating my morning chocolate muffin (I know... fattening and really bad for my teeth!), the entire outer tooth crumbled! The dentist now cannot do an extraction because there is nothing above the gum to remove... he'll have to open the gum to remove what's left of the tooth, and from the xray, there isn't much! Grrr !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippy-pops

yup same problem here... I lost my crown in one of my molars about a month ago but since I've had root canal, the dentist suggested that I not remove the outer tooth which is still left and at my next appointment (which is tomorrow) he'll do an extraction... yesterday whilst eating my morning chocolate muffin (I know... fattening and really bad for my teeth!), the entire outer tooth crumbled! The dentist now cannot do an extraction because there is nothing above the gum to remove... he'll have to open the gum to remove what's left of the tooth, and from the xray, there isn't much! Grrr !
Oh, wow!!!! major, major work!!! My dentist filed off the rough edges yesterday and I have an appt. next week for a temporary crown. He told me that he would work with me on the cost, which I greatly appreciate. I have been going to him for at least 15 years. I do have dental insurance, but the more extensive the work, the less the ins. covers!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't want to say it when you first posted...but... Does he have to do a root canal?

All I can relate it to is breaking off my front tooth in gym (someone tripped me, I landed facefirst on a bench, breaking one of my upper front teeth 3/4 of the way off).

I had to have a root canal done, then we put a plaster cap type on it. It lasted ummm 12yrs or so.... I chipped it a good one from chewing on pen lids... NOTE: do not chew on penlids. From there on it started breaking off little by little. Not to mention that cuz its plaster, it discolors from coffee/tea/pop/cigarettes.

Anyways, I got it redone in 2005. When I can afford it, I'd actually like to get it removed and have an implant put in, or a partial plate because I'm missing another tooth which is making my other teeth shift.

anyways.... I hope it goes well. Your dentist sounds pretty good with reasonable payments

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww. I hate having dental work done, and it usually costs quite a bit.
Although it's an expense you'd probably rather not have, good dental health is important and will make life more enjoyable. My mom had to get a bridge, and it was pretty expensive without insurance, but she was able to enjoy eating after she got it. I think it's worth it.
I hope you heal up quickly and no root canals are necessary!