Jake went CRAZY for purina

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have a bag of purina kitten chow that I first bought when I got Jake and didn't know what foods are better.. it's almost full so i've been giving some of it to Jake, he eats 80% wet anyway so i'm thinking it's not a big deal. Normally, he eats royal canin for kittens. But OMG he goes crazy for it. He purrs and gets SO excited, I've never seen him this excited except for when he gets some chicken off my plate...Why is that? Is it the same with cats as with people, that most things that taste so good are bad for you?
He is just acting like this stuff is the best treat he's ever had...

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so cute! It probably does taste really good and I'm sure he thinks it's a treat because he never gets it.

Right now my cats are falling all over each other for the wet food I've started feeding them. It's the high-end wet food, which apparently most cats who've been eating low quality stuff don't like. But I guess since they never get wet food at all, they're excited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anjhest

That's so cute! It probably does taste really good and I'm sure he thinks it's a treat because he never gets it.

Right now my cats are falling all over each other for the wet food I've started feeding them. It's the high-end wet food, which apparently most cats who've been eating low quality stuff don't like. But I guess since they never get wet food at all, they're excited.
That's interesting because at first, Jake LOVED his wet food and would not eat any dry at all. That's completely the opposite from what I hear normally happens with cats, what I hear is that dry food is made to be tastier, and cats like it more, but it's not as good for them. He still likes the Authority chicken and lamb that he gets a lot more than royal canin, the dry...So it appears that it's not just Jake who likes wet food more than dry, your kitties do too
To me it seems common sense that they would like the wet more because it's so much smellier and it resembles real meat that a cat would eat in the wild..

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now, I'm not sure about Purina, but I remember reading something on a thread around here that some pet food companies spray their foods with animal digest or something like that to make them smell irresistable. That must be what they do to Science Diet kitten food cause it REEKS but Siddha and Bodhi both LOVED it when I brought home the bag from the shelter. Thankfully, I have transitioned and it is OUT of the house!

All I can say is.... GROSS!!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are crazy for Purina Cat Chow! I give it to them for treats. I'm sure it's sprayed with something that cats find yummy.

devanagara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also give Mony a cheaper kibble as treats...it's cheaper than buying those small packages of treats. She gobbles it up like I've never fed her before.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow so it's not just Jake!! Man i guess it's the equivalent of eating a honey bun or snickers bar for humans...loaded with sugar and all kinds of crap.

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

wow so it's not just Jake!! Man i guess it's the equivalent of eating a honey bun or snickers bar for humans...loaded with sugar and all kinds of crap.
Doubt it is that bad, my older girl loves this stuff and its one of the few foods that she can keep down without regurgitating.

I settled and bought the healthy choice version and I just add some of the vitamin/malt paste to it and she is happy as a pig in slop.

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting - I just read an article that included this idea. They said that the kibble is sprayed with rendered animal fat just before it is packaged, precisely to give the food that "fresh bag" smell that animals love. The fat is from sources deemed unedible for humans. It's not that it's good, it's given that smell to attract animals to something they otherwise might not eat.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yelloweyes

Interesting - I just read an article that included this idea. They said that the kibble is sprayed with rendered animal fat just before it is packaged, precisely to give the food that "fresh bag" smell that animals love. The fat is from sources deemed unedible for humans. It's not that it's good, it's given that smell to attract animals to something they otherwise might not eat.
That sounds gross. Just like they make cows eat meat and other junk by disguising it with other tastes....

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i use purina for cat treats, a small bag lasts a very long time, and they love it just as much. there are a few cats though that have problems handling some of the ingrediants in it so they have to get a differant type of treat which is just a differant brand of food.