Ethoxyquin - Now I'm scared

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So now I read that even the good food has been processed with this carcinogenic stuff - ethoxyquin - Is this something to be avoided at all costs or something we just have to live with?

I did read that Wellness CORE doesn't use it, but that they use natural preservatives. Here are my questions:

1) are the "natural preservatives" better ?
2) is it true that Wellness doesn't use ethoxyquin?
3) is there a reliable list of all companies that refuse to use this stuff, or can we trust the companies to be truthful about this anyway?
4) Other things I read about - BHA & BHT? Is it possible to avoid all of these, or is this just an impossible task?

I currently have a bag of Diamond Naturals on order with small local shop - I think I need to follow through and get what I said I'd get - I'm sure it's still much better than the toxic waste in my cat canister right now. I would consider a switch a while after that, though.

Somehow I can somewhat accept that I live in a toxic world, that it's just out of my control, but I still have this idea my cats don't have to.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I am scared too! The Taste of the Wild is the only Grain free food Kody will eat (really the only kibble he will eat at all now) and it seems that it must contain ethoxyquin from the sound of things.

Anne

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm scared too, and very mad. I thought I had found a good food that my cats loved (Taste of the Wild), then I hear about this. What really makes me mad is how they're so sneaky about it. If they don't personally add it, they don't have to tell us it's in there. So what that means is that regardless of what we see on the ingredients list of ANY food, we have no idea what's really in there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The truth is WE truely Have little idea outside of AFFCO definitions and standards what is in the food... the Fish thing has gone on for yrs ... IMHO it is another reason not to use an all fish food ...

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Copy/pasted from the Taste of the Wild site under FAQ :

"Do you use any chemical preservatives?
Chemicals are not used to preserve any of our formulas. We use mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) to preserve the chicken fat in our pet foods. Added ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and rosemary extract in some of the formulas also have preservative effects. "

link: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/faq/

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

Copy/pasted from the Taste of the Wild site under FAQ :

"Do you use any chemical preservatives?
Chemicals are not used to preserve any of our formulas. We use mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) to preserve the chicken fat in our pet foods. Added ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and rosemary extract in some of the formulas also have preservative effects. "

link: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/faq/
Right THEY dont add them ... this does NOT mean there are NONE ... as per Affco they DO NOT have to tell us what the providers of ingredients used ... It is a WE did not add it so who knows

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, TOTW does contain ethoxyquin, so I guess so would the Chicken Soup and the other Diamond foods--but so far I only find Wellness and Flintridge that state positively that they do not contain it (and Flintridge has corn in their catfood).

So, do we know for sure that Evo, Instinct, Solid Gold, or any of the other grainfree (or even non-grainfree) foods, DO NOT contain hidden amounts. I really want to know, even if it is a moot point--Kody won't eat any of those!

Is there anything besides the Wellness lines that I could feel good about and try to force Kody to eat? Should I even bother, or are all of them hiding it?

Anne

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To date only Eagle pack is fully on record that they use the alternative ... Wellness is known for using the alternative ....

Call and ask ... most will say WE do NOT add anything but natural ..

This is not the ONLY hidden issue..

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, you would have to trust that they're telling the truth. Make sure to let them know that you're interested in whether their *supplier* uses it. It also wouldn't hurt to ask how their fish (meal) was shipped.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll probably tell you the same thing TOTW told me, that what their supplier uses is "Proprietary."

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

They'll probably tell you the same thing TOTW told me, that what their supplier uses is "Proprietary."
Natural Balance told the truth.

Although they claim that heat dissipates it.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This has been an issue within the rat community, the use of this poison to preserve the food. This is exactly the reason I have to order my ratkids food.

I will now have to worry about the catkids =(