My cat has lost his voice

sweetbay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago one of my cats was somewhat hoarse; now he has completely lost his voice. He's eating and swallowing fine. Virus, or a sign of something more serious?

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sweetbay

A few days ago one of my cats was somewhat hoarse; now he has completely lost his voice. He's eating and swallowing fine. Virus, or a sign of something more serious?
Found this link, similar question with the answer by a Vet:

http://www.vetinfo.com/cvoice.html

Does your cat have any other symptoms? sneezing, coughing, not as active? runny nose, squinty eyes?

Cats can get laryngitis.

Is your cat an outdoor cat / exposed to other cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetbay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is exposed to other cats -- in fact he just got clawed on the back of the neck by a stray tom. No other symptoms. His vaccinations are all up to date.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sweetbay

He is exposed to other cats -- in fact he just got clawed on the back of the neck by a stray tom. No other symptoms. His vaccinations are all up to date.
So he's an outdoor or indoor/outdoor cat? Have you ever considered making him an indoor-only cat? He'd be a lot safer that way. As an outdoor cat, despite being vaccinated, he's still exposed to ill and diseased strays; who can pass on viruses, cause injuries to him (eg: the scratch he received could becoe infected or turn into a serious abscess; keep a good eye on it for signs of redness, swelling, pus...if you see these, to the Vet pronto!), can get hit by cars, can get lost, can be poisoned by sickos out there who don't appreciate neighborhood cats roaming around the neighborhood and peeing/pooping in their flowerbeds, etc etc.

snowlilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This very same thing just happened to my cat today. Did you ever find an answer? My cat was always very talkative and now nothing. I feel so bad for him.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As this is such an old thread I don't think you'll get an answer from the original poster. But maybe others will post with their experiences.
What else is your cat doing (runny eyes, appetite etc) and how long has he been like this?