Toys for the Killer Kitty

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need suggestions for toys for our new boy. He goes for the kill with the toy mice/furbies/balls that we have, and has managed to skin and gut several different types already. This far the ones that have faired best have been Fat Cat cotton toys but even those are full of puncture marks.

I am worried he will choke (or have someone else choke) on the parts that he tears off the toys. Last night he sneezed through the night because he had some fibers from one of the toy mouse he had finished off, and I could not flush them all out.

He is absolutely hilarious when he runs around with the toys, hides them, and then goes for the kill but what can I get for this overly eager 'mouser'? What would work? I went to pet shop and all furry mice had parts like eyes/tails that come off too easily PLUS guts that were too easily dug out. I don't dare to buy foam balls because he will probably chew them to bits. What do you think of real fur toys? He seems to prefer the soft mouse-like ones over rubber ones. What else might work? He is one duracell-bunny and needs toys.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Balls are great, so is the TurboScratcher and DaBird...
My kittie also love a shoe string that I have made into a toy by tying the unused collar bells to it

Boxes, make a castle out of them, and they love it - paper bags...
Mine like the cheap toys, luckily!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Balls are great, so is the TurboScratcher and DaBird...
My kittie also love a shoe string that I have made into a toy by tying the unused collar bells to it

Boxes, make a castle out of them, and they love it - paper bags...
Mine like the cheap toys, luckily!
That makes me think that I gotta dig up the krinkle tunnel from somewhere. All my other cats are kind of spooked by it but I bet Pyry won't be.

We have Bug Catch and we already do at least 2 extended Da Bird and string sessions a day. Pyry is great though because he plays on his own. That is what I am looking the suggestions for - how to get him toys that he can kill safely... He finds all the toys and, well, destroys them. He needs something sturdier.

He is so cute when he runs from one cat bed to another with the mice in mouth, buries one, dashes after another, digs up the first, kills it, shows it to his brothers who are dumbfounded, then runs the whole house through (trying to get someone to chase him), jumps into another cat bed, furiously digs his next prey and kills it.

He is like a little terrier when he rips toys apart. And the GREAT thing is, he is ONLY ripping the toys (or scratching pole). No furniture or garments are destroyed... So, I really want to keep him supplied!!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe a kitty kong? I have one of these and mine aren't so fond of it...it is wrapped in a tough canvas w/ crinkle "legs" and the body is made of 2 balls. It seems pretty durable.

Maybe some hard plastic balls w/ bells...also I have a mini tennis ball w/ bell that my cats love and is VERY heavy duty.

Art

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Rosie Cat" by Kookie Kitty has held up the best so far and was a big hit. I have a sweet 16 month old male that goes crazy with the soft furry toys. He growls and runs off with his prize. Then he "kills" it.

I take tweezers and pluck the small parts off before I let him have any toy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i made Chip a denim pillow filled w/catnip out of the cutoff portion of some jeans i was hemming. very tough stuff, denim - maybe make him some toys from denim?
it's my experience that home-made toys are tougher & longer-lasting than store-bought ones. plus, no 'bitable' parts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

Maybe a kitty kong? I have one of these and mine aren't so fond of it...it is wrapped in a tough canvas w/ crinkle "legs" and the body is made of 2 balls. It seems pretty durable.
I looked this up on the net - never seen it in the shop but I will check. Is it like rubbery thing in canvas? Canvas and denim certainly would sound like more rugged options.

Originally Posted by Skimble

"Rosie Cat" by Kookie Kitty has held up the best so far and was a big hit.

I take tweezers and pluck the small parts off before I let him have any toy.
I could find only Rosie the Rat?? Is it that one? By the looks of it Pyry would love that but it might need some plucking for sure. I wonder if that is available on the stores either but I will put it on my list.

Originally Posted by laureen227

i made Chip a denim pillow filled w/catnip out of the cutoff portion of some jeans i was hemming. very tough stuff, denim - maybe make him some toys from denim?
it's my experience that home-made toys are tougher & longer-lasting than store-bought ones. plus, no 'bitable' parts!
I wish I was handy! I am totally useless that way!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

I could find only Rosie the Rat?? Is it that one? By the looks of it Pyry would love that but it might need some plucking for sure. I wonder if that is available on the stores either but I will put it on my list.
Oops, "Rosie RAT" is correct. I have CAT brains sometimes with this crew!

http://catniptoys.com/Merchant2/merc...uct_Code=275-7

I haven't looked for this in the pet stores. Ordering was easier for me. The last one I bought got taken before I could get the small pieces off. It is still in one piece! It has been very durable and has incredibly soft fur. When all the kitty slobber dries after playing, it is just as soft. Best part is how inexpensive it is.