Cats Are Fine, It's HUBBY That Can't Adjust to Wet Food!

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean, seriously?!

I've noticed that since I've switched from dry to wet, my husband has avoided feeding time altogether. I've shown him the canned food and told him how much they need (several times).

Well, this morning I had to leave in a hurry. He was in the shower and after I got up I yelled to him to feed the cats. He asked "What do I feed them?!" in a panicked voice and I let him know.

When I got to work, he called me from home (I hear lots of yowling and crying in the background).

"Is this can of tuna the cat food? How much do they get?"

"No. The cat food is stacked at the bottom of the pantry."

"Well I've already opened the tuna."

Good grief! Why is this so difficult for him?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My bf can never get it right either. He will either give them twice as much as they need or not enough. I don't know why its so difficult

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
People always say that you can't train cats. I think training husbands is much harder.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is TOO funny. Just let the cats know where the food is and they can get it themselves.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would write up a short "instructions for feeding wet food" for him and let him use that..........oh wait..........guys don't like to read the instructions

Maybe let him help you feed them the canned food so that he sees exactly what you are doing.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Sometimes hands on is the only way guys learn. Have him do the feeding a couple of times while you watch. Only give him hints when he gets totally bogged down in the technical aspects (such as "how do I open this can?").

Edit: Oh yeah, tell him he can eat the tuna for his own lunch.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least he tries. lol My husband plain refuses to feed the cat, even the dry food! Don't get me started on the wet food. lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let him watch you next time, make him do it. You can help but do not let him hand the can off to you, he'll ditch out of the kitchen faster than you can blink.

Luckily DH has no problem feeding the cats, he has no choice. If I'm at work he can't wait till I get home...the cats will not be ignored. And if I'm too sore/sick to do it he'd look like a complete you know what.

He's even had to scoop litter boxes a few times though he abhors this and will try anything to avoid it.

Only one way to handle it, force them. No if, ands, or butts.
I consider the cats part of the family and thus a family responsibility.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend gets 2-3 pages of instructions when I go away to cat shows (actually so does Mum). I always add in there "DON'T stand on the kittens"

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

My boyfriend gets 2-3 pages of instructions when I go away to cat shows (actually so does Mum). I always add in there "DON'T stand on the kittens"
Don't stand on the kittens
It's like ... if you don't tell them, how would they know? LOL

A friend of mine had someone snap a pic of her getting the can, another showing her opening it, and another how much she was putting in the bowl. She hung all three snapshots on the front of her fridge. I laughed so hard when she told me the pics were instructions for her DH so he didn't get lost

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Don't stand on the kittens
It's like ... if you don't tell them, how would they know? LOL

A friend of mine had someone snap a pic of her getting the can, another showing her opening it, and another how much she was putting in the bowl. She hung all three snapshots on the front of her fridge. I laughed so hard when she told me the pics were instructions for her DH so he didn't get lost
Absolutely. When I had a litter really young that need feeding I said give 1/2 cup goats milk - well my 1/2 cup was different then his 1/2 cup he read it as "1/2 a carton" - the kittens were only 4 weeks old at that time

I love the photo instruction cards. Great idea!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anjhest

I mean, seriously?!

I've noticed that since I've switched from dry to wet, my husband has avoided feeding time altogether. I've shown him the canned food and told him how much they need (several times).

Well, this morning I had to leave in a hurry. He was in the shower and after I got up I yelled to him to feed the cats. He asked "What do I feed them?!" in a panicked voice and I let him know.

When I got to work, he called me from home (I hear lots of yowling and crying in the background).

"Is this can of tuna the cat food? How much do they get?"

"No. The cat food is stacked at the bottom of the pantry."

"Well I've already opened the tuna."

Good grief! Why is this so difficult for him?
Makes me appreciate the 24/7 regimen my cats are on...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I've found that men have a great tactic for getting out of stuff they don't really want to do anyway: Mess it up so badly that she'll never let you do it again!
I'm inclined to think that's what is going on here! For some reason he doesn't like it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he definitely doesn't like doing it for some reason. This morning he got up and totally ignored the cats while he was getting ready. I heard him say, "Mommy will feed you when she gets up."

WHATEVER!

I got up, got ready, told him to feed the cats, and left.

He demanded to know what was wrong with me but really, this is getting ridiculous. He has not fed the cats their wet feed even once since I switched!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, give him credit for trying

My DH is responsible for the dry feeding of the day. There is a measuring cup in the food container and he gives them exactly that amount each day. He's got that one down

As far as the wet goes, I cut the can up into the appropriate number of servings and those times I'm not available he knows to give each of them a wedge. He does, however, complain about the smell and make gagging sounds

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, he definitely doesn't like doing it for some reason. This morning he got up and totally ignored the cats while he was getting ready. I heard him say, "Mommy will feed you when she gets up."

WHATEVER!

I got up, got ready, told him to feed the cats, and left.

He demanded to know what was wrong with me but really, this is getting ridiculous. He has not fed the cats their wet feed even once since I switched!
Yeah - don't let him get away with it! Cheesh! Men can be such big babies sometimes!!!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This morning he got up and totally ignored the cats while he was getting ready. I heard him say, "Mommy will feed you when she gets up."
Mommy has other plans!

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

At least he tries. lol My husband plain refuses to feed the cat, even the dry food! Don't get me started on the wet food. lol
my guy To a tee. I am solely In charge Of cleaning And feeding. He has The hard job Of 'schmoogle-ing' Our Made-up Word For kisses, Rubs, Cuddles, And being picked Up and carried Around (calvin
)