TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cats Are Fine, It's HUBBY That Can't Adjust to Wet Food!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cats Are Fine, It's HUBBY That Can't Adjust to Wet Food!

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I mean, seriously?!

I've noticed that since I've switched from dry to wet, my husband has avoided feeding time altogether. I've shown him the canned food and told him how much they need (several times).

Well, this morning I had to leave in a hurry. He was in the shower and after I got up I yelled to him to feed the cats. He asked "What do I feed them?!" in a panicked voice and I let him know.

When I got to work, he called me from home (I hear lots of yowling and crying in the background).

"Is this can of tuna the cat food? How much do they get?"

"No. The cat food is stacked at the bottom of the pantry."

"Well I've already opened the tuna."

Good grief! Why is this so difficult for him?
post #2 of 23


My bf can never get it right either. He will either give them twice as much as they need or not enough. I don't know why its so difficult
post #3 of 23
People always say that you can't train cats. I think training husbands is much harder.
post #4 of 23
That is TOO funny. Just let the cats know where the food is and they can get it themselves.
post #5 of 23
I would write up a short "instructions for feeding wet food" for him and let him use that..........oh wait..........guys don't like to read the instructions

Maybe let him help you feed them the canned food so that he sees exactly what you are doing.
post #6 of 23
Sometimes hands on is the only way guys learn. Have him do the feeding a couple of times while you watch. Only give him hints when he gets totally bogged down in the technical aspects (such as "how do I open this can?").

Edit: Oh yeah, tell him he can eat the tuna for his own lunch.
post #7 of 23
At least he tries. lol My husband plain refuses to feed the cat, even the dry food! Don't get me started on the wet food. lol
post #8 of 23
Don't let him watch you next time, make him do it. You can help but do not let him hand the can off to you, he'll ditch out of the kitchen faster than you can blink.

Luckily DH has no problem feeding the cats, he has no choice. If I'm at work he can't wait till I get home...the cats will not be ignored. And if I'm too sore/sick to do it he'd look like a complete you know what.

He's even had to scoop litter boxes a few times though he abhors this and will try anything to avoid it.

Only one way to handle it, force them. No if, ands, or butts. I consider the cats part of the family and thus a family responsibility.
post #9 of 23
My boyfriend gets 2-3 pages of instructions when I go away to cat shows (actually so does Mum). I always add in there "DON'T stand on the kittens"
post #10 of 23
I've found that men have a great tactic for getting out of stuff they don't really want to do anyway: Mess it up so badly that she'll never let you do it again!
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
My boyfriend gets 2-3 pages of instructions when I go away to cat shows (actually so does Mum). I always add in there "DON'T stand on the kittens"
Don't stand on the kittens It's like ... if you don't tell them, how would they know? LOL


A friend of mine had someone snap a pic of her getting the can, another showing her opening it, and another how much she was putting in the bowl. She hung all three snapshots on the front of her fridge. I laughed so hard when she told me the pics were instructions for her DH so he didn't get lost
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil maggie View Post
Don't stand on the kittens It's like ... if you don't tell them, how would they know? LOL


A friend of mine had someone snap a pic of her getting the can, another showing her opening it, and another how much she was putting in the bowl. She hung all three snapshots on the front of her fridge. I laughed so hard when she told me the pics were instructions for her DH so he didn't get lost
Absolutely. When I had a litter really young that need feeding I said give 1/2 cup goats milk - well my 1/2 cup was different then his 1/2 cup he read it as "1/2 a carton" - the kittens were only 4 weeks old at that time

I love the photo instruction cards. Great idea!
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjhest View Post
I mean, seriously?!

I've noticed that since I've switched from dry to wet, my husband has avoided feeding time altogether. I've shown him the canned food and told him how much they need (several times).

Well, this morning I had to leave in a hurry. He was in the shower and after I got up I yelled to him to feed the cats. He asked "What do I feed them?!" in a panicked voice and I let him know.

When I got to work, he called me from home (I hear lots of yowling and crying in the background).

"Is this can of tuna the cat food? How much do they get?"

"No. The cat food is stacked at the bottom of the pantry."

"Well I've already opened the tuna."

Good grief! Why is this so difficult for him?
Makes me appreciate the 24/7 regimen my cats are on...
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I've found that men have a great tactic for getting out of stuff they don't really want to do anyway: Mess it up so badly that she'll never let you do it again!
I'm inclined to think that's what is going on here! For some reason he doesn't like it...
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Yeah, he definitely doesn't like doing it for some reason. This morning he got up and totally ignored the cats while he was getting ready. I heard him say, "Mommy will feed you when she gets up."

WHATEVER!

I got up, got ready, told him to feed the cats, and left.
He demanded to know what was wrong with me but really, this is getting ridiculous. He has not fed the cats their wet feed even once since I switched!
post #16 of 23
Well, give him credit for trying

My DH is responsible for the dry feeding of the day. There is a measuring cup in the food container and he gives them exactly that amount each day. He's got that one down

As far as the wet goes, I cut the can up into the appropriate number of servings and those times I'm not available he knows to give each of them a wedge. He does, however, complain about the smell and make gagging sounds
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjhest View Post
Yeah, he definitely doesn't like doing it for some reason. This morning he got up and totally ignored the cats while he was getting ready. I heard him say, "Mommy will feed you when she gets up."

WHATEVER!

I got up, got ready, told him to feed the cats, and left.
He demanded to know what was wrong with me but really, this is getting ridiculous. He has not fed the cats their wet feed even once since I switched!
Yeah - don't let him get away with it! Cheesh! Men can be such big babies sometimes!!!!
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjhest View Post
This morning he got up and totally ignored the cats while he was getting ready. I heard him say, "Mommy will feed you when she gets up."
Mommy has other plans!
post #19 of 23
I think this is the best thread title ever
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
At least he tries. lol My husband plain refuses to feed the cat, even the dry food! Don't get me started on the wet food. lol
my guy To a tee. I am solely In charge Of cleaning And feeding. He has The hard job Of 'schmoogle-ing' Our Made-up Word For kisses, Rubs, Cuddles, And being picked Up and carried Around (calvin )
post #21 of 23
Hmmmm.... I know I said "that's just like guys", but I do have to brag a little bit about my BF. He had a cat for nearly 19 years. Lived by himself (perennial batchelor). He fed the cat, cleaned the litter pan, brushed and groomed, cleaned up cat yak and hair balls, and I firmly believe, that if was wasn't still grieving and if he got another cat ... or two... he would have no problems picking up where he left off. If we had these cats together under the same roof, I am sure he would share the chores. And not just "schmoogling!!" Tho he is good at that, too!!
post #22 of 23
LOL, very funny ladies.

Let's see how many of you are willing to deal with the dead birds, mice,
snakes and baby squirels your little furballs bring home (for those of you
who allow your cats outside, that is.)

Harley-cat once dragged home a 3-4 pound rabbit she caught. I buried it
in the back yard, but the next day it was on the back porch, and both
the cat and the rabbit were covered in mucky Georgia red clay. And
the smell!! YUCK!!!

Then there was the time she tried to bring a live chipmunk into the house, to
train her kittens how to hunt.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Möbius View Post
LOL, very funny ladies.

Let's see how many of you are willing to deal with the dead birds, mice,
snakes and baby squirels your little furballs bring home (for those of you
who allow your cats outside, that is.)

Harley-cat once dragged home a 3-4 pound rabbit she caught. I buried it
in the back yard, but the next day it was on the back porch, and both
the cat and the rabbit were covered in mucky Georgia red clay. And
the smell!! YUCK!!!

Then there was the time she tried to bring a live chipmunk into the house, to
train her kittens how to hunt.

I did it ALL when my ex and I lived together. He decided he didn't like Petunia so he wouldn't do anything for the kitties . I never had a chipmunk in the house, however I had a live bird and a live rat along with various dead animals.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cats Are Fine, It's HUBBY That Can't Adjust to Wet Food!