Emptying the print queue

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to know how to do this. I have Windows XP on my computer which is hooked to an HP printer. I had a connect problem which I fixed and now there are about 30 pages of stuff in the queue I really do NOT want to have to print. Help! And Thank You!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
open your printer folder, then open the printer. you should see a list of pending docs - select all of them, then choose delete [i think it's the file menu, but might be one of the others - i'm at home on my mac right now].

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

open your printer folder, then open the printer. you should see a list of pending docs - select all of them, then choose delete [i think it's the file menu, but might be one of the others - i'm at home on my mac right now].
Thank you Laureen, you are quick and efficient! This is as I now remember it to be but not the way mine is working. Here is what I see when I open the printer:

HP Officejet J6400 series

When I try to open that to display the pending docs, what I get is:

I cannot click on the latter. But here is an interesting thing I found out. When I go to select a printer, I find the main one I use with the 34 page log jam, but I can also list that same printer as:

HP Officejet J6400 series (Copy 1)

I can then select the latter and bypass the problem and print for now. I don't know what this (Copy 1) is all about.

Yes, I sure do seem to remember things working like you describe them but I wonder what it is I am seeing.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Copy 1? Did you try to install it more than once?
Yes I did and that explains the (Copy 1). Duh me, thanks! So. to recap. I was able to unwittingly create a path around the log jammed printer, I still have the original problem. As Laureen states, when I select that original printer it should give me a list of documents that I can manipulate. But instead I just receive a status notice of how many documents are in the queue and no way that I can see to purge those stacked up documents.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you double checked your printer's manual?

Have you tried going to printer and faxes, double clicked the printer driver, cancel all documents in the printer menu?

Have you tried restarting the net stop spooler? (you can go through start/run or straight to command line to do this)

Have you tried deleting them in safe mode - from the system32 printers folder?

Also, get rid of that copy 1 when you have time.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Lee, you should be able to go to printer and faxes, right click on the printer with the queue, and delete the documents in the queue.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't it work to just uninstall the printer device driver, reboot, and allow it to reinstall on the reboot? I guess the question is, does the print job remain in the print spooler if the print driver is uninstalled? Is the spooler part of the driver or is it System?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Lee, you should be able to go to printer and faxes, right click on the printer with the queue, and delete the documents in the queue.
Tricia, I noted that you underlined right click. You must have read my mind. What can I say? I was left clicking.
Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ So it was simply you making it more difficult for yourself than needed? I do that sort of thing all the time.

Originally Posted by coaster

Wouldn't it work to just uninstall the printer device driver, reboot, and allow it to reinstall on the reboot? I guess the question is, does the print job remain in the print spooler if the print driver is uninstalled? Is the spooler part of the driver or is it System?
Had it came to that stopping the net stop spooler service and restarting it might have been easier.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ So it was simply you making it more difficult for yourself than needed? I do that sort of thing all the time. .
Well, heck, it's no FUN doing it the EASY way!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Well, heck, it's no FUN doing it the EASY way!!
Sure it is. I even found a batch file that could be made to easily clear it - sadly that is my idea of fun.

Seriously though, and I've told others this before, if you get stuck go to google. Provided that you do search the correct terms you can easily find answers. And a little tip, never forget to exclude things to narrow down your search.