Need tricks for cleaning Bugsy's Chin

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His chin is filthy! And he has a big, wide, and long chin area as well, to make it worst.
I tried to take the little black thingies by hand, but it is so many of them, there is no way... He is also a very Feisty, STRONG boy, so whatever I do, I need to do fast.
How do I clean that area? Is there anything that melts that stuff, so I can wipe it off? Can I wipe it with a non-alcohol toner?
Any ideas??

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try a flea comb or a brush if the cat likes that... My cats loved to be groomed so when they come home with burs in the fur thats what i do... What do you think the black stuff is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms cat love

You could try a flea comb or a brush if the cat likes that... My cats loved to be groomed so when they come home with burs in the fur thats what i do... What do you think the black stuff is?
Tried both - it takes some, but not all the stuff....
Kitty acne/black heads....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

sounds like kitty acne... do you use plastic dishes or placemats?
Yep, I am pretty sure it is acne. He eats in a ceramic bowl. I am not sure where he ate at the rescue place - he has been with me for less than 2 months, and got here like this....
Any ideas on how to clean the damage that is already done?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can switch to glass or stainless steel for acne prone cat is best because even ceramic dishes with the smallest crack, even you cant see, can still hold bacteria. Wash his dish every single day (if you dont already).

I saw someone on here say their vet advised them to use stridex pads without the alcohol but I would ask your vet about that. Im not sure if it has additional chemicals that could harm a cat. I have also heard that you can dilute peroxide with lots of water (undiluted in very bad for a cats skin tissue) and that could help.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My orange boy gets acne once in awhile; I wet a cotton ball/square in a mixture of warm water and peroxide and get his chin wet, which helps loosen the "zits".

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet advises phisoderm scrubs on the chin using a cotton ball.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou had one about a month ago. I put peroxide on a cotton ball and then wet it more with water to dilute the peroxide. It went away within a week.

I also second changing to glass or stainless steel bowls and also no plastic mat under the bowls. I bought about 12 stainless bowls at the dollar store and he gets a clean one for every fresh feeding and the dirty ones go in the dishwasher. I refilled his dry food dish without washing it a couple times and sure enough he got a zit!

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I also second changing to glass or stainless steel bowls and also no plastic mat under the bowls.
I use all glass bowls, but I'm wondering why no plastic mat? Assuming they don't eat off the mat.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella's acne pretty much went away when we started using the stainless steel bowl (I use a small size bowl meant for cooking). I clean it every day with hot soapy water.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok - I will put him back on a stainless steel bowl.