Distemper and rabies shots, side effects?

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had distemper and rabies shots on Friday morning. Saturday night she vomited, as well as this morning (Sunday). Can this be a normal side effect of the shots? Today is the only day the Vet Office isn't opened...so I can't call them.

As soon as she does it, she wants to eat...but I recall hearing maybe they shouldn't eat right afterwards...

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let her eat ... she might be experiencing a bit of nausea from the shots, but if she's vomiting, it might also be hunger pangs, which makes anyone feel nauseated.

Typically, we want to wait at least two weeks between giving different vaccines, for instance, give the Panleukopenia (what people refer to as distemper) shot then wait a couple of weeks before giving the rabies shot. Getting so many shots all at once can be an overload on the immune system. For kittens, this may be particularly rough.

If she hasn't improved by Monday or stops eating, then call the vet and ask his/her opinion.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've not had that experience, but mine are usually very lethargic for the rest of the day and eat very little compared to their normal intake.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my little girl 20 years ago, they gave her a combination of 3 shots each time, and she was always ill for about 24 hours after--sometimes vomiting, but always extremely lethargic. I suspected that the 3 shots at once was too much for her, but I thought that bringing her in for the shots separately would be very stressful for her as well.

It wasn't until I moved here and found my current vet who, when I mentioned this, told me that since she was completely indoors and never around other cats, she only needed the rabies shot. From then on, no problems. I was so annoyed that I didn't find out about this sooner. In trying to do the best for her, I caused her such discomfort.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is 20? or is this another cat? If you do have a senior cat vaccination protocols are a bit different for them. Some people choose to forgo them altogether after a cat is so old.

But if you read through the health section lately it seems like a lot of us have been having vaccination issues lately no matter the cat's age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

When I adopted my little girl 20 years ago, they gave her a combination of 3 shots each time, and she was always ill for about 24 hours after--sometimes vomiting, but always extremely lethargic. I suspected that the 3 shots at once was too much for her, but I thought that bringing her in for the shots separately would be very stressful for her as well.

It wasn't until I moved here and found my current vet who, when I mentioned this, told me that since she was completely indoors and never around other cats, she only needed the rabies shot. From then on, no problems. I was so annoyed that I didn't find out about this sooner. In trying to do the best for her, I caused her such discomfort.
My cat is an indoor cat as well, so the Vet said I should get the distemper shot and the rabies shot. I didn't want to take her repeatedly to the Vet either, because she really is terrified of the whole ordeal - however, if had read posts on it beforehand, I would've suggested her getting only one shot, which is what my Vet suggested for next time, once I told her about my cat vomiting.

My cat is more timid of me now, and she was supposed to get a dental cleaning this month - but now she is having an attack of allergies (sneezing) so I might be cautious to wait until she is better. Every vet visit I have to take her on, I wish I could be given some pain medication as well!

littlebutters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm freaking out right now.  I brought my 9 year-old little boy to the vet on Saturday for his annual physical.  They gave him the distemper shot.  He seemed fine until Sunday morning when I realized he wasn't begging me for his breakfast (which is his daily routine).  He had a few licks of the canned food and didn't touch it for the rest of the day.  I put out some dry food which was left untouched.  He was extremely lethargic for the whole day.  Then around dinner time, same thing - few licks then walked away.  Now it's Tuesday afternoon and he has still eaten next to nothing!  He is still very lethargic and not himself at all.  He doesn't have any vomiting or diarrhea which is a good thing, but this is day #3 of no food!  On my way to work this morning, I called the vet to ask what I should do.  Naturally, they asked if I could bring him in (because the receptionists don't know a thing).  I'm worried that they are going to try to say it's some sort of other illness and not a side-effect, but I know that's completely untrue!  I'm also worried they are going to charge me an absurd amount of money for something that they caused!  If anyone has any advice in the meanwhile until his appointment this afternoon, it would be great.  I just need him to be ok.