Laser-point toys?

triv85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the general opinion on these? I imagine a cat would get more thrill from literally catching something (small mice toys, etc.) when playing as opposed to only getting excercise.

But they still look like they enjoy running around like mad, so I use one.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! Maia definitely enjoys the occasional laser pointer, but she knows where its coming from and could care less if shes not in the mood!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora loves it. She even knows the sound of it when we pick it up (all of them, we have 3, have key chains attached), and will IMMEDIATELY go into hunt mode. She'll chase it for ever, and we usually get tired of it before she does. When we stop, she'll spend quite a while afterward looking around the room for the "spot". She's an addict. LMAO

"Hello, my name is Nora, and I'm addicted to laser pointers."

"Hi Nora!"

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Triv85

What's the general opinion on these? I imagine a cat would get more thrill from literally catching something (small mice toys, etc.) when playing as opposed to only getting excercise.

But they still look like they enjoy running around like mad, so I use one.
The cool thing around here is that I can sit in my comfy chair watching TV and at the same time give the cats a good workout. There is about a 30 foot hardwood area that I can simply sit there and wave the laser back and forth and they will chase it back and forth until my hand gets tired. I've got it down now so that the cats do not crash into the wall at the far end.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Squeaky has almost no desire to chase after a feather on a string or anything other than the laser. I read that at the end, throw a mouse or some other little toy when you take away the laser, so they experience the thrill of actually catching something, but the Squeakster is totally not interested in it. She just wants to chase the laser for hours

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Nora loves it. She even knows the sound of it when we pick it up (all of them, we have 3, have key chains attached), and will IMMEDIATELY go into hunt mode.
Mine do that too
No matter how quietly I try to pick it up.

We also have a Ba-Da Beam, which they could care less about. They only like the hand held one.

I switch to a feather teaser at the end so they can catch something and not keep looking for the dot.

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ricky Bobby used to love the laser, until he figured out the red dot comes from the thing I have in my hand.
Now he'll chase after it for like 2 minutes before he gets bored. And I know he knows it comes from the actual pointer, it's a mouse shaped one, and he'll look at it in my hand and see what direction the nose is pointing in, then he'll look in that direction on the light. He's more interested in knocking it off the counter and batting it around the floor than he is in chasing the laser.

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We like to sometimes make it "disappear" under doors or other things and watch the kitties stalk them there. If we restart it in another place, they still think there's one under the door too.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two have to be in the mood to play the laser pointer game. I suspect it's because they have gotten wise to the fact that I tend to use it mainly to get them out of rooms I don't want them in at bedtime

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cammy doesn't care for too many toys, but she goes nuts for the laser pointer. I don't do it anymore, because I feel kind of bad but Jon loves playing with her with it.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat loves the laser, then go with the laser. Genever goes nuts and won't stop chasing it until my boyfriend or I get tired of it. It's her favorite toy besides attacking feet under blankets.

happynadia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat loves it and it's one of the few ways my daughters can "interact" with the cat. Leela has been with us for almost 6 years so she was the queen of the house. Our DD's are 3 and almost 2. They love pointing that thing and having Leela run around for it.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I borrowed a laser from a friend who said "you have to try this, the cat will love it". I tried it and Maggie looked at the light dot, looked at the laser then at me and gave me a 'get real' look