I could use some school advice

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned some of this in the thread about math that floating around here a few days ago and I could use some advice. I ended up getting a low "C" on this last test. My average for the term is a borderline "B" at the moment. I need to decide by Monday if I want to try and stick it out the rest of the term or take the course over next term.

This is what we have left to go over for the term:
Systems of linear equations in two variables
Problem solving and and business applications using systems of equations
Polynomials, polynomial functions and factoring
Quadratic formula
Quadratic functions and their graphs
Polynomial equations and their applications
Radical expressions and functions
Rational exponents

If we get to it, these also:
Equations quadratic in form
Polynomial and rational inequalities

How difficult is this stuff?

Should I raise the white flag now or talk to my instructor and see when our third test is? If it's before the final date for a withdrawal from the course I can take it and see how I do before making a final decision.

I'm all cornfused.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What were the topics on the first test, the one you said you got a C in? I dont know what to tell you because those topics that you have left can be easy and they can be hard, it all depends on the way the material is presented and the way the professor is!!! It's a really hard decision whether or not to drop a class. Is getting a good grade in this class detrimental to your GPA and future?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last test was on:
Functions
Graphs of functions
The algebra of functions
Linear functions and slope
Point-slope form of the equation of a line.

They are more involved than what I learned in algebra 1 and 2 but no overly difficult. I already knew how to do Slope-Intercept form but we had for other forms added to that. I can do the homework but for some reason I don't do as well when I test. I'm going to start my homework and see how it goes.

I don't want to screw up my GPA and this class is required.

starjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went back to school after about 30 years and all those good things you mentioned, I was learning just 2 semesters ago. Some suggestions: Get a study group and make the group no more than you and 3 others; talk to the teacher and let him/her know you're struggling; and see if your school has some sort of walk in math lab. The JC I go to has one, and I took advantage of it on a regular basis, and that was even with my study group!

Since this is a mandatory class, and you've gotten this far, you may as well keep going (that was always my logic). The only thing that would change that, if the teacher is really bad. As you know, really difficult classes are really difficult, but they can be absolutely impossible with a bad teacher!

AND the last most important advice I can give??? Remember, a C is a degree! You don't have to get A's.... (that's what I've been reminding myself regularly this semester, as I sit here and study my Macroeconomics!!!)

Good Luck to you! I totally feel your pain

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
The topics on your next exam are without a doubt more difficult than the ones on previous exams. I'm probably not the best person to give advice as I haven't touched algebra in eons.

Math is just all about practice, really. The questions on an exam extrapolate the same material just presented in a different way from your hmwk and the way the book presents it. So practice from several books till you get it down would be my advice.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually like math, especially when I'm getting it. The teacher is good, the class is a bit fast paced because our terms are only nine weeks long.

I've been working at the first section I posted. I'm doing alright but I'm having trouble with figuring out the next part of this section: Solving a Sytem by Substitution.

Here is the example problem:
y = -2x + 4
7x - 2y = 3

I know that for the top part of the problem the y coordinate is (0,4) for one of my lines. Where does the substitution method come in and how does it work? My textbook confuses me and the CD-Rom that came with it isn't much help either.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Here is the example problem:
y = -2x + 4
7x - 2y = 3
7x - 2(-2x+4)=3
7x + 4x -8 =3
11x-8=3
11x=11
x=1

LOVE Math!!!
I had forgotten how fun this stuff was
Last time I studied math was in 1991

The upcoming topics are easy, but harder than the ones you already learned... I would stick with it - especially if you like the teacher... In math it is all about the teacher...

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

7x - 2(-2x+4)=3
7x + 4x -8 =3
11x-8=3
11x=11
x=1

LOVE Math!!!
I had forgotten how fun this stuff was
Last time I studied math was in 1991

The upcoming topics are easy, but harder than the ones you already learned... I would stick with it - especially if you like the teacher... In math it is all about the teacher...
Thanks for help. I've been looking this over for the last hour and came up with the same number for x but I'm still confused. I have to graph the lines from the equations.

Would my coordinates for the first line: y = -2x + 4 be y(0,4) and x(2,0)?

Is the substitution method used to find the coordinates for the second line that needs to be graphed? Do I plug -2x + 4 for x to find my y coordinate when substituting? I'm puzzled as to how I come up with my second set of ordered pairs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for help. I've been looking this over for the last hour and came up with the same number for x but I'm still confused. I have to graph the lines from the equations.

Is the substitution method used to find the coordinates for the second line that needs to be graphed? Do I plug -2x + 4 for x to find my y coordinate when substituting? I'm puzzled as to how I come up with my second set of ordered pairs.
Going back on the substitution method, you will find y=2; x=1. So, essentially yes, you do substitute x to find the y...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarJam

AND the last most important advice I can give??? Remember, a C is a degree! You don't have to get A's.... (that's what I've been reminding myself regularly this semester, as I sit here and study my Macroeconomics!!!)
Exactly! I think a "borderline B" is an excellent grade!

Stop beating yourself up.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry, I forgot to answer the rest, as far as the line... Yes, they will always be relative. So, to build your graph, you substitute the value of the ys to find the xs, or vice versa. If the y=0, then x=2; if y=4, then x=0 your values are correct... We found x=1, and when that happens, your y=2. Keep going, and you will build your graph.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Exactly! I think a "borderline B" is an excellent grade!

Stop beating yourself up.
Thanks. All I really want to do is pass the class for the term. The minimum score to do so is a 70%, which is a "C".

Thank you to everyone who responded with advice and help. I know I can do this with enough hard work.

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Sorry, I forgot to answer the rest, as far as the line... Yes, they will always be relative. So, to build your graph, you substitute the value of the ys to find the xs, or vice versa. If the y=0, then x=2; if y=4, then x=0 your values are correct... We found x=1, and when that happens, your y=2. Keep going, and you will build your graph.
Thank you. I'm going to work on this some more today. Right now, I need to get some sleep.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I mentioned some of this in the thread about math that floating around here a few days ago and I could use some advice. I ended up getting a low "C" on this last test. My average for the term is a borderline "B" at the moment. I need to decide by Monday if I want to try and stick it out the rest of the term or take the course over next term.

This is what we have left to go over for the term:
Systems of linear equations in two variables

Problem solving and and business applications using systems of equations
Polynomials, polynomial functions and factoring
Quadratic formula
Quadratic functions and their graphs
Polynomial equations and their applications
Rational exponents

If we get to it, these also:
Equations quadratic in form
Polynomial and rational inequalities

How difficult is this stuff?

Should I raise the white flag now or talk to my instructor and see when our third test is? If it's before the final date for a withdrawal from the course I can take it and see how I do before making a final decision.

I'm all cornfused.
I hope I can be of some help. Intermediate algebra is what I'm taking right now. Online. In a word- YUCK. I really don't like it. I didn't do very well on the midterm, but I am passing- just barely. 75 is pass (it's pass/fail) and I JUST have a 75. Dropping the class isn't an option for me. I have to take this class- and college algebra for the nursing program I was just accepted into. If I don't finish college algebra by the end of July, then I can't start nursing school and everything gets bumped back (again) a semester.

Most of this "stuff" I've covered already in the first 8 weeks.

Linear equations- not bad. That's just solving equations.

Polynomials, polynomial functions and factoring- not too hard (for me anyhow). You just have to be real careful when you're factoring.

Quadratic formula- I know I did this the first time around in math 3. We don't hit quadratics until week 9.

Quadratic functions and their graphs-same as above.

Polynomial equations and their applications- these weren't too bad.

Rational exponents

These 2 things- I HATED them. I still can't solve a radical expression. So now I get to spend spring break going over them b/c I will see it again on the final.

Didn't like word problems very much either. I can solve some- but not all. You have to read the whole problem, and pick the information out from them.

I did rational inequalities- that's something else I have to review over Spring break.

Cheryl

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

I hope I can be of some help. Intermediate algebra is what I'm taking right now. Online. In a word- YUCK. I really don't like it. I didn't do very well on the midterm, but I am passing- just barely. 75 is pass (it's pass/fail) and I JUST have a 75. Dropping the class isn't an option for me. I have to take this class- and college algebra for the nursing program I was just accepted into. If I don't finish college algebra by the end of July, then I can't start nursing school and everything gets bumped back (again) a semester.

Most of this "stuff" I've covered already in the first 8 weeks.

Linear equations- not bad. That's just solving equations.

Polynomials, polynomial functions and factoring- not too hard (for me anyhow). You just have to be real careful when you're factoring.

Quadratic formula- I know I did this the first time around in math 3. We don't hit quadratics until week 9.

Quadratic functions and their graphs-same as above.

Polynomial equations and their applications- these weren't too bad.

Rational exponents

These 2 things- I HATED them. I still can't solve a radical expression. So now I get to spend spring break going over them b/c I will see it again on the final.

Didn't like word problems very much either. I can solve some- but not all. You have to read the whole problem, and pick the information out from them.

I did rational inequalities- that's something else I have to review over Spring break.

Cheryl
Cheryl, you're braver than I am. There's no way I'd even attempt to take a math course online.

I appreciate your input. Systems of linear equations don't seem too bad, I just need to practice them enough so I can do them well.

The one chapter in the book that we aren't even touching is Chapter 4 which deals which nothing but inequalities.

I make it through this I may take Stats 1 and 2 instead of Precalc.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm, I really beginning to think I did the right thing by jumping straight into calc instead of taking an algebra course for refresher

as far as your GPA, a B or even a C will not effect it as much as you think, Bryan. An F on the other hand

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Cheryl, you're braver than I am. There's no way I'd even attempt to take a math course online.

I appreciate your input. Systems of linear equations don't seem too bad, I just need to practice them enough so I can do them well.

The one chapter in the book that we aren't even touching is Chapter 4 which deals which nothing but inequalities.

I make it through this I may take Stats 1 and 2 instead of Precalc.
I'm regretting the decision to take it online right now. This class is HARD. The highest grade on the midterm was a 70- passing is 75. There are 6 people passing as of last week.

To top it off- I took on the job as group leader for this second project we have due in another week. Everyone was supposed to have their problems (it's a graphing unit) emailed on Saturday. I didn't get around to posting mine until Sunday- so I gave everyone else the benefit of the doubt. Well- as of yesterday out of 7 people- 4 had passed in problems. We have to review them, so I posted which ones to review yesterday. Yes- it's spring break this week- but the darn project's due on the 22nd, which is next week.

But- I took the first part of this class online, and it wasn't too bad. I also wanted to be able to work. True- it's not my favorite job- but I get $200 or so every 2 weeks, so it's not too bad. And I like the flexibility of online classes.

But since I have to pass, and I'm struggling with this class, I'm just going to have to take college algebra in a classroom. The campus is only a couple of minutes down the street from me. It's just going to be a pain b/c I have class for 4 weeks while my kids are out of school, so it may be hard to schedule their activities around my school schedule. And I'm going to have to give my notice to work sometime in May. I can't go to nights- they're just too late. Being up all night at a store doing an inventory- and then having to get to class and pay attention at 8am- well that's just not going to work.

Cheryl

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Hmmm, I really beginning to think I did the right thing by jumping straight into calc instead of taking an algebra course for refresher

as far as your GPA, a B or even a C will not effect it as much as you think, Bryan. An F on the other hand
My grade is actually a low "C", I think I mistakenly said "B" earlier in the thread. I should be getting ready for class right now but I decided this morning to withdrawal and take it over next term. It wasn't so much my grade but the fact I'm taking 14 credit hours and trying to work a full time job at night (7pm-3:30am). To top all of that off I've been having trouble getting my ulcerative colitis back under control since the reaction with the sulfa based medication. This way I can devote more time to my other three classes and work, which has also been suffering. I do best when I take around 9-10 credit hours (three classes).

I'm going to continue practicing what I have already learned in the class as well as work on some of the material we haven't covered yet just so I can become somewhat familiar with it.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My grade is actually a low "C", I think I mistakenly said "B" earlier in the thread. I should be getting ready for class right now but I decided this morning to withdrawal and take it over next term. It wasn't so much my grade but the fact I'm taking 14 credit hours and trying to work a full time job at night (7pm-3:30am). To top all of that off I've been having trouble getting my ulcerative colitis back under control since the reaction with the sulfa based medication. This way I can devote more time to my other three classes and work, which has also been suffering. I do best when I take around 9-10 credit hours (three classes).

I'm going to continue practicing what I have already learned in the class as well as work on some of the material we haven't covered yet just so I can become somewhat familiar with it.
That is an awful lot on your plate. Practicing what you already know helps. There's stuff in this class my husband says "you did this before". Yes. But it was several years ago, and as someone else said in this thread, with math you use it or you lose it.

The one good thing with this class is it's pass/fail. So even if I JUST pass, it will just show as a P (or something like that).

College algebra will be a grade. But, as long as I make a C in it, I'll be fine. School's already weighted my other prereqisites. So I'm in.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

That is an awful lot on your plate. Practicing what you already know helps. There's stuff in this class my husband says "you did this before". Yes. But it was several years ago, and as someone else said in this thread, with math you use it or you lose it.

The one good thing with this class is it's pass/fail. So even if I JUST pass, it will just show as a P (or something like that).

College algebra will be a grade. But, as long as I make a C in it, I'll be fine. School's already weighted my other prereqisites. So I'm in.
Best of luck with your algebra class. I don't believe any of the classes I'll end up taking are pass for fail, they are all your normal letter grades.

I went and talked to the professor after I withdrew and explained why I did it. He understood why and said that if my schedule permits I'm more than welcome to show up and sit in the class to help me prepare for next term. He's a very good teacher but he's the classes he's teaching next term are in the morning and don't mesh with my schedule. Early registration for the spring term starts on Friday but for some reason the math classes don't the instructors names next to the classes yet. I'm hoping my Algebra 2 teacher will be teaching Intermediate next term, I'd sign up for her class in a second.