Pictures needed!! Feral cats.

stormy55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a project for the 4-H fair coming up in a few weeks I am making a poster display on Feral Cats. I have the text, etc. that I need for it, but I need photos. I've taken a few of the ferals I care for, but I would like a couple other photos as well. I was wondering if anyone has pictures of Ferals they know/care for that they wouldn't mind me using? If so post them here, or PM them too me...I don't need many, just 3 or 4.
Thanks!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I supposed you want a picture of them in the wild, not after they were tamed?

This is Larry. He lived in my feral colony for 11 years before he crossed. My feral colony actually ate on my front porch, and is pictured there:

Feral kittens. A storm was approaching and their mom carried her litter from the woods behind my house up to the house. A tornado went thru those woods a few hours later so I suspect she intuitively knew to move them. 3 are shown. She carried up a fourth kitten the following morning.

I'll have to dig deeper if you need more.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have these
Firefox's littermates

Apple

Apple's kittens

Lisa

none will let me close enough to get really good pix, tho

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww....this thread is making me sad....There was a feral kitten that I was feeding and working with where I worked. She was beautiful, tabby with white toes, belly stripe and chest patch. Around 5-6 months and came running every time I called her.....I worked at a plant nursery/garden center outside and she would hang out with me all day, she would eat right next to me, just wouldn't let me touch her. Every day she would get a little closer, even played with a branch with me eventually....Then I was forced to quit, the day before Christmas actually, because they owed me 3 weeks pay. I'm teared up right now thinking about her, this is the first time I have talked about it.......Unfortunately where I worked is not close to where I live and difficult to get to. I hope she is ok

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sadly, we lost many of the pics from the camera we had in 2002/2003 which is when we were caring for the largest colony.

But I found a few - not so good pics. Sorry.

Laurie

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And some more! If you need even more, I will look and see what I have

All the cats are now fixed (except ofcourse the new ones that just "show up" evey now and again, I think people are dropping them off here.) Most pics were taken right around when we moved in.I have also managed to socailize and adopt out many of them.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All those kitties are soo beautiful!
I've never in my life had contact with feral cats...Are there specific areas they hang around?? When I used to live in the city, I know my grandfather trapped a feral cat from somewhere in the woods far from the city. But, now that i live in the suburbs I haven't heard or seen ferals. Why is that? I want to trap ferals and spay and neuter them and feed them....I love contact w/ wild animals.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Utopia, they are there. Once you get involved - they find you!

You can search for rescues in your area to see if they need help:

http://www.pets911.com or you can search through rescues that have pets up for adoption at http://www.petfinder.com in your area - contact them to see if they know of any TNR orgs in your area (fostering is actually also a really helpful way to help rescue!).

You can sign up as a Feral Friend at Alley Cat Allies:

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=253

And you can sign up to be available for trapping as part of the Best Friends Network:

http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehom...ts/thenetwork/

We live in a rural area, and started by borrowing a trap from the vet. Once it became apparent that once you get involved, the cats find you... well - an investment in our own trap just made sense.

There's lots of info on both of those national rescue sites, more in the links in my signature line, and LOTS of help with every aspect of rescue in the Caring for Strays and Ferals forum.

Laurie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We live in a rural area, and started by borrowing a trap from the vet. Once it became apparent that once you get involved, the cats find you... well - an investment in our own trap just made sense.
That's exactly how we got started. Moved to the country and had feral cats living in the woods all around us. Once we started to put out food, we started to borrow traps because a lot of them started to hang out at the house. After 1 too many litters, I finally bought my own trap so that I didn't have to go out and borrow one every time a new cat showed up. I had the colony (at least that lived closer to our house than others) all speutered in 2004.

And who would've known
? The people that we sold that house too in 2006 called me about 2 days after they moved in and asked if I had left a mother and kittens behind. Nope! You just got some newbies. I then taught her about trapping.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Yes, but don't put out the food unless you're prepared to trap them and have them spayed or neutered!

Laurie
otherwise, you'll end up w/a population explosion!