Royal Canin SO or Purina UR??

mummyof12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always fed a good quality dry and my vet recommended both of these for Pokey my himalayan that had a urinary blockage 2 weeks ago. He likes the purina but I have always known it to be a lesser quality food any opinions???
Thanks,
Barbara

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without looking at ingredients, I'm guessing the Royal Canin is better.

If I'm not mistaken, I think wet food (fish-free flavors) is supposed to be much better for cats with urinary issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mummyof12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love for him to eat the wet food but he is not cooperating!! I ordered a couple of cans of feline c/d chicken to see if he will eat it. So far we have tried the purina and royal canin rx canned and he isn't thrilled. He will lick at it the first time and not touch it again.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
My (black) cat, KiKi, is on Royal Canin Uninary S/O - both dry and canned - prescription from the Vet. The vet wanted him only on the wet, but he soon became almost constipated, so I introduced the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry as a treat (after I talked with the Vet) - we call them "cookies"

Our experience has been that when the cats become hungry enough - they will eat the canned food.

Our Furbabies would eat nothing but dry if they had a choice - but, for their good health - it's tough love - and no dry food - not even a few "cookies", until they're hungry enough to eat their canned food.

Is the canned food refrigerated? KiKi seems to prefer it cold ??, the others, on another canned food (Trader Joe's) prefer it warmed.

The reason for "no fish" - it's the magnesium in the fish that causes crystals.

KiKi was diagnosed with Struvite crystals. The Royal Canin S/O is suppose to do a balancing act so that both the Struvite crystals, and the Calcium Oxalate crystals won't be formed. Adding another food will disrupt the corrective process that the prescription food is intended to accomplish.

I'm sure there are others in this forum that can either correct, or explain better about the crystals better than I am able. Anyway - if your vet says to use a formulated, prescription diet - I hope you'll be able to follow his/her advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mummyof12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pokey has struvites. He will eat the diet but isn't hot on the wet food. I have 13 other kitties and have dry out for them all the time (their food is elevated and Pokey being a himalayan won't do anything more than he has to to get to the food so it seems to be working. I leave his food on the floor and he has just been eating that. If I were to try to starve him out to try to get him to eat the wet food I think he would try to get to the other food so I don't think that will work. If I try to feed him in another room he won't eat either. He is a finicky kitty!! He just wants to be part of the family and eat with everybody else. I just wanted to find out if the royal canin is better. It looks better a bit more dense than the purina and a bit more greasy. I will pay the extra few bucks to have him eat a better quality food.
Thanks for the advice

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mummyof12

Pokey has struvites. He will eat the diet but isn't hot on the wet food. I have 13 other kitties and have dry out for them all the time (their food is elevated and Pokey being a himalayan won't do anything more than he has to to get to the food so it seems to be working. I leave his food on the floor and he has just been eating that. If I were to try to starve him out to try to get him to eat the wet food I think he would try to get to the other food so I don't think that will work. If I try to feed him in another room he won't eat either. He is a finicky kitty!! He just wants to be part of the family and eat with everybody else. I just wanted to find out if the royal canin is better. It looks better a bit more dense than the purina and a bit more greasy. I will pay the extra few bucks to have him eat a better quality food.
Thanks for the advice
Sharky is our resident guru on nutrition and will probably be along to give you some information.

As for starving a cat to make them eat, that's not a good idea and won't work for a lot of cats in which case it is dangerous. If a cat goes without food for 48 hours, they can go into liver failure and if they do, they will need to be force fed or they will die.

Now understand that is worse case scenario and not all cats will go into liver failure after 48 hours but it can happen and I would prefer not to find out my cat was one of the ones who would go into liver failure. Our Bijou was lost for 4 days and he was fine when we found him and brought him home. I don't think he had eaten in those 4 days as he was in a neighbour's yard hiding behind a bush and was terrified of their dog.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not starve the cat...

As for RX s ... RC has better ingredients but I have had luck with Purina in the past for RXs....

My main vet recommend s RC when she recommends Rxs .... old vet uses Purina ... I say try the RC if the Purina does not work ... With struvite you may be able to discuss non Rx options as several OTC foods are UTI certified

Is wet food an option ?? That is far easier to do with a prone cat

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

My (black) cat, KiKi, is on Royal Canin Uninary S/O - both dry and canned - prescription from the Vet. The vet wanted him only on the wet, but he soon became almost constipated, so I introduced the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry as a treat (after I talked with the Vet) - we call them "cookies"

Our experience has been that when the cats become hungry enough - they will eat the canned food.

Our Furbabies would eat nothing but dry if they had a choice - but, for their good health - it's tough love - and no dry food - not even a few "cookies", until they're hungry enough to eat their canned food.

Is the canned food refrigerated? KiKi seems to prefer it cold ??, the others, on another canned food (Trader Joe's) prefer it warmed.

The reason for "no fish" - it's the magnesium in the fish that causes crystals.

KiKi was diagnosed with Struvite crystals. The Royal Canin S/O is suppose to do a balancing act so that both the Struvite crystals, and the Calcium Oxalate crystals won't be formed. Adding another food will disrupt the corrective process that the prescription food is intended to accomplish.

I'm sure there are others in this forum that can either correct, or explain better about the crystals better than I am able. Anyway - if your vet says to use a formulated, prescription diet - I hope you'll be able to follow his/her advice.
I sure hope that no one thought I was suggesting to "starve" the cat, YIKES!, I certainly didn't intend to give that impression.

I'll have to be more careful in explaining about withholding food in any future posts.

I do know that they are able to go without food for 8 hours - especially if they're going into surgery - no food or water ? 8 hours before surgery - well, that's the directions that I've been given ... surely that's not "starving" ... eeeks - in the future I'll be more specific.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I read it, Mummy said <If I were to try to starve him out to try to get him to eat the wet food I think he would try to get to the other food so I don't think that will work. > - she didn't say she was going to let him go hungry - she was just pointing out that her baby is a stubborn little guy, prefers to eat with the family, and she's hoping for help in finding him something he'll happily eat that's ok for him.

I read it as she's trying really really hard to find the best food possible for him - IMO, whatever, after talking with the vet about allowable food formulas, I'd go with whatever he'll happily eat, even if it's technically not 'better'...for me, quality of life plays a bit role in my decision making.

karen burrell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks, that is helpful.  I was also worried about the Purina UR even though my vet recommended it, but so far he is liking it and I'm reassured that others have had good luck with it.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet Reccomended Royal Canin Urinary SO.... We have been feeding all 4 cats the food for the last 3 months... It does increase their water intake... Our cat had a Stone that we were actually able to dissolve with the Royal Canin and a Antibiotic... The choice is yours... One Pro on Royal Canin is that its Canadian made a friend of mine worked in the factory :)