i said no to feline luekemia test...

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well i took princess to the vet the other day and she was a very good girl, im proud of her. She let them look in her mouth to check her teeth and took a pill and her shots very well.

her spay appt is march 19th and they also sd they might have to pull some teeth, because of her tiny little mouth she has some overcrowding going on.

They asked me if i wanted to have her tested for feline luekemia and i said no. They said if she had it id be putting my other cats at risk. I said that even if she does have it im not going to get rid of her. I told her if i changed my mind she can do it when i bring her for her spay.

what do you think? i new someone that had like 7 cats and found out 1 of hers had it and she refused to get rid of him and she kept having the other cats tested every year and they never got it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The descision is ultimately yours, but knowing whether or not she has it can certainly help keep her healthy for as long as possible.

I always test every cat that comes through my doors.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When ever I bring a rescued cat into my home I always get them tested for feline leukemia. That disease is contagious.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I brought in a pair of feral kittens that were supposed to have been tested for FeLV and they weren't. It was a mix up at the vets.

All of my cats were vaccinated for FeLV. When the kittens were about 9 months old, both of them got terribly sick and tested positive for FeLV. When I had the rest of my 11 cats tested, 1 of them was also positive. He contracted it from the kittens. He was negative when he came into my house so we know he got it from the kittens, in spite of the fact that he was vaccinated against it.

Vaccines are not 100% effective against the disease. In fact, under the right circumstances (just living together for a long period of time), approximately 10% of vaccinated cats will contract the disease.

Understand this before you make a decision on what you want to do. I always test a cat before bringing them into my home. It's heart breaking if a sick cat causes another to be infected with a life affecting disease. I lost both kittens and the adult to the disease.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not get the shot but wold get the test if the cat came from outside or the pound.
I did not get it for Sasha because she came from my brother and all his cats were neg and indoor only.
Where did you get your cat from?

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters. Getting a the leukemia test will give you a peace of mind and not put your other cats at risk. If your cat does test positive, you don't necessarily have to get rid of her. You can keep them separated or monitor them.

All my cats came from the street or high kill shelters and I got each one tested. All the test results were negative, thankfully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would not get the shot but wold get the test if the cat came from outside or the pound.
I did not get it for Sasha because she came from my brother and all his cats were neg and indoor only.
Where did you get your cat from?
i got her from a pet store and she already had some of her shots but i guess she wasn't tested for feline leukemia, she was in a cage by herself and is a pure bred persian.

thanks for all the advice, when i take her to be spayed i will have the vet do the test.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see pics of her.
The test is pretty fast.
I also get blood tests for my cats before they have surgery just to make sure everything is fine.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats; 4 were strays I'd rescued over the years and the last one is a cat I adopted from the Humane Society. None came into my home (kept quarantined by me) until they were tested for FIV and Feline Leukemia. Actually, my newest cat that I adopted from the H.S., Hobee, he's lucky (or I am?).....the only reason I've never been willing to adopt from there before, as much as I wanted to 'save a life' is because they don't do this testing; so you adopt at your own risk and that was too much of a risk for me. Sure, I could have gotten it done after adopting; at my own Vet on the way home but what if the cat was positive for either? then I'd be faced with a horrible decision to make.......it would kill me; to have to decide to return him to the H.S. or risk my existing cats being at risk (to me it's not much of a life to live it segregated from other cats in a home for years). But at least with Hobee, he was considered so sociable that he was allowed to be in a special room with other friendly cats and I guess for cats like this, they WILL test for FIV and FeLV before putting them with other cats..........had this not been the case, i wouldn't have even considered adopting him.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would love to see pics of her.
The test is pretty fast.
I also get blood tests for my cats before they have surgery just to make sure everything is fine.
here she is:

im terrible at taking pics of my cats, everytime i think i got a good one they will move or turn their heads as i take it!

Im going to look up professional pet photographers in my area.

I will get the little girl tested

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

She looks like a Himalayan to me, not a Persian.... But I could be wrong?
yes yes, you are correct, but i was told they are classified as a persian? On her papers shes listed as a seal point persian.

so i guess maybe its better to say shes a himalayan? idk!!! lol

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

yes yes, you are correct, but i was told they are classified as a persian? On her papers shes listed as a seal point persian.

so i guess maybe its better to say shes a himalayan? idk!!! lol
She is a Himalayan - they used to be their own breed (a cross of Persian and Siamese), but in the 80's the breed was merged to Persians, and became a variation... It is called Himalayan, though - Pure Persians don't have the point color, unless they are himmys

IMO, It is better to say Himalayan, because of the unique characteristics to the breed

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

She is a Himalayan - they used to be their own breed (a cross of Persian and Siamese), but in the 80's the breed was merged to Persians, and became a variation... It is called Himalayan, though - Pure Persians don't have the point color, unless they are himmys

IMO, It is better to say Himalayan, because of the unique characteristics to the breed
ok..thanks for the clarification...at 1st i was calling her a himmy and like i was doing all this reading and looking up online about them and it said how they are a persian

So im going back to himalayan lol

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

i got her from a pet store and she already had some of her shots but i guess she wasn't tested for feline leukemia, she was in a cage by herself and is a pure bred persian.

thanks for all the advice, when i take her to be spayed i will have the vet do the test.
Good call on doing the test... especially if she came from a pet store. You would be highly amazed at the real conditions that you find in many pet stores.

We have a pet store here that about a year ago almost all of their puppies had to be put to sleep because they all contracted Parvo from an infected litter. They never tested anyone nor did they get any shots even though they said they have full sets of shots.

Worse yet is that even after this tragedy this sham of a pet store is still in business selling puppy mill puppies and kittens that they get for free from classified ads.