Jake keeps trying to escape..will he ever stop or is it too late??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sneaks outside in split seconds as soon as a front door gets opened. Well, I've always been there to catch him but I am so worried that he will never stop trying, if it continues like this chances are he will one day succeed. Today he went in the garage and I couldn't get him out, he kept hiding under one of the cars for a really long time

So I think the reason why he wants to escape so much is because ever since he's been tiny, my dad has always taken him outside while holding him in his hands, and showing him squirrels and birds and walking with him in our fenced yard. My dad is not one to go against nature so easily and keeps insisting it's not normal for a cat to never see its prey..He does agree it's too dangerous because of cars to let Jake out, BUT he will not stop taking him out in a safe way, while holding him tight in his hands. So, is it possible now that because Jake knows what it's like outside, he wants to go so badly?? All the cats I've known have been afraid of the outdoors. My boyfriend's cat will not attempt going out even if a door is open for hours.....I soo wish Jake was like this!!! Am I too quick to blame my dad for this, or is it a bad idea to let a strictly indoor cat know the outside? In order to prevent him from escaping I now put him in my room and he stays in there while no one is at home...This helps some, but it's going to be really hard to keep him in for his entire lifetime....
Any experiences with a cat this willing to go outside?? Suggestions??

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one that we jokingly call the "door-darter" because he darts for ANY door to try to get on the other side. This is one of my orphaned boys that has never lived outside. He has succeeded in escaping and freezes flattening his body low once he makes it out. Almost like he is afraid and unsure.

I have tried all the suggestions I could find and he still darts for an opening door. He has been closed in a closet once because of this game of his.

I'm thinking like you, I wonder if it's a good idea to keep taking him out and conditioning that it's okay to go out. If your dad thinks he needs to see his prey, get a box or chair in front of a window. Mine love this and only one makes a break for the door. My former ferals could care less....they know what it's like outside.

About holding a cat in a safe way.....is there such a thing!

Read the thread about someone holding their cat and it got spooked jumping while she was trying to hold on. The cat had surgery for a broken leg and may loose it. It's impossible to hold them when they get frightened or really want down. Not safe for the holder of the cat either.

We just turn our back and look for him before we open the door. He is sneaky and has learned to walk under the dog's belly at the same time the dog is going out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a baby gate or two stacked on top of each other across the doorway so he can't get to the door.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are harness trained, they know once the harness is on they can go out and don't bother at any other times. The door can be wide open but if they're not harnessed they won't go through. Maybe you could get your dad to harness Jake up before going out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea he looks out the window. I mean some people will take their cats on a leash so I guess it's not a big deal to take indoor cats outside ...i dunno. Jake is only 4 months old so at this point i'm sure it's possible to hold him in a way in which he cannot escape, but when he gets older it will not be possible..My dad said he won't take him out anymore but i'm afirad the damage may be done already.
I don't see how a baby gate can help- we would have to open the baby gate to get out and when we do Jake can sneak right out ....

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Mine are harness trained, they know once the harness is on they can go out and don't bother at any other times. The door can be wide open but if they're not harnessed they won't go through. Maybe you could get your dad to harness Jake up before going out.
We cross posted- I will suggest that to him...he will likely say that it's torture though
I will most likely try it myself- maybe Jake will calm down a bit once he is allowed to go outside...
Jake is not very tame in general, he doesn't really like to be held and rarely likes to be petted- he will mostly run like crazy bite and play like a maniac
That's why I'm not sure he can be trained with a harness..But I will give it a try

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try it INDOORS first. A cat that is freaked out has a good chance of getting out of any harness or hurting themselfs.

Have a lot of treats ready-keep him busy with treats while you put the harness on. Have a wand toy out-to distract him from the harness, play with him untill he is tired and ignoring the harness. Let him walk around the house with the harness and NO LEASH. LoL, the cat might think that the leash is chasing him and run around like a wild banshee being chased by mountain lions! Don't leave the harness on in the house when he is not supervised, there are too many straps that could get caught on stuff.

Let Jake tell you when he is ready for the next step(s). Harness first, then attatch the leash, then practice "following" him (you don't walk cats, they walk you) around. Then you are ready to try outside!!!

Goodluck!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Drs. Foster & Smith have a sort of cage you can attach to the outside of a window, with a shelf inside; you open the window and the cat can sit on the shelf and feel the breeze and hear the birds.

Or, if you want something more elaborate: http://habitathaven.com/

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told my dad about harnessing, he was very excited! I am a little scared though, what if Jake gets out of the harness....
I opened the window today because it was a very pretty day out, and Jake sat at the window for hours. I even opened the front door a few times- he didn't move from the window despite the door being open
I am happy, maybe it wil help to let him out occasionally...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Here's what I was talking about.
That's interesting but it seems such a tiny little outside space for the kitty to have that i'm not sure it's worth the trouble of building...Well I'm not very crafty lol and even if I buy it i'm not even sure I will be able to assemble it
Thanks for the suggestion though