What To Do About Guests With Allergies

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I swear, every single person I invite to my house claims to be allergic to cats. You can't know me and NOT know that I have cats, so I think it is their responsibility to deal with the allergy, not mine.

Minka and Leo hide under the bed, so no one ever meets them. But Taxi is very curious about company and likes to approach them and sniff them (usually their face). He also head butts everyone's hands.

My house, my cat. If you don't like it, leave! I'm not going to lock him up unless we're eating. If it makes you sneeze, pop a Claritin D before you come over. That's my attitude.

How do you guys deal with this?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anjhest

I swear, every single person I invite to my house claims to be allergic to cats. You can't know me and NOT know that I have cats, so I think it is their responsibility to deal with the allergy, not mine.

Minka and Leo hide under the bed, so no one ever meets them. But Taxi is very curious about company and likes to approach them and sniff them (usually their face). He also head butts everyone's hands.

My house, my cat. If you don't like it, leave! I'm not going to lock him up unless we're eating. If it makes you sneeze, pop a Claritin D before you come over. That's my attitude.

Just have some Claritin available in the house, and if they don't want it... oh well... The door is their best friend!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my friends are "allergic" as well. Funny, as not one has EVER sneezed or been otherwise symptomatic OR complained of symptoms after they left! I do try and sweep up the hair before guests come, but otherwise do nothing special.

I can say, though, that I am allergic to cats that live in other homes. When I go to my neighbor's who is a breeder of long haired cats, I definitely feel it. However, WHO could resist holding those docile bundles of fluff? I go home, shower, use some eye drops and forgettaboutit!

Cally

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do a good vacuuming and trust that if they are allergic that they will have the brains enough to bring an antihistamine with them. I won't lock my cats up for someone visiting me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Just have some Claritin available in the house, and if they don't want it... oh well... The door is their best friend!
Maybe I should have a bowl of Claritin pills instead of M&Ms!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just like that! Make sure they know you have cats. After that, it is THEIR responsibility to take an allergy pill if they insist on visiting anyways. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Maybe I should have a bowl of Claritin pills instead of M&Ms!

It depends on who it is. DH and I will do a vacuuming and sweep; and maybe vacuum the couches too. DH is allergic to cats himself so it's kind of a normal part of our cleaning. FIL is also allergic and lives out of state; so when he does come to visit I do a better cleaning and use some of that Febreeze Allergen Reducer. It seems to help a little. We also keep the girls out of our bedroom and when we have a guest room; it'll probably be off limits to them. But that's mainly for family and important guests. I feel the cleaning beforehand is being considerate enough. DH takes Claratin and we always have Benadryl on hand if someone needs it.

There can be an upside to it though. DH and I have an old friend who can really drive me crazy sometimes; while other's he not so bad.
When he's in town we visit him elsewhere or at a restaurant now. He won't stay with us because of his allergies (which are pretty severe; he swells up good!). So we get to see him; but not so much that he gets on my nerves or anything!

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If it makes you sneeze, pop a Claritin D before you come over. That's my attitude.

That's pretty much my thing. Pop a pill, suck it up, and no complaining.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I do a good vacuuming and trust that if they are allergic that they will have the brains enough to bring an antihistamine with them. I won't lock my cats up for someone visiting me.
That's my take on it too. Not many of my friends are allergic, but most of them take something if they're worried about it...and if anyone's over and reacts unexpectedly or forgets, they can help themselves to my allergy stuff.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My mom always keeps insisting that not locking up your cats when you have guests is bad taste. She likes Jake and isn't freaked out by him at all, but she always says that when she goes to visit people with animals she is always freaked out by their cats and dogs because she doesn't know them. My mom isn't an animal lover, she had some bad experiences with animals as a child, like getting bitten, etc. But if it's someone who is visiting over night, that's a different story...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend is allergic to cats and she still comes over occasionally. She lives too far away or else she'd come over more often. She knows she can't pet the cats and we try to keep them off her. We also have to shut the bedroom that she sleeps in, so they don't go in it and jump on the bed and all her stuff. Otherwise she's fine around them.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a blanket I keep over my couch to catch extra hair, so whenever I have guests I take that off and it removes most of the cat hair. I vacuum really well when I know somebody is coming, and I always have allergy pills in the medicine cabinet as well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am going against the general comments. I love animals, but I also respect those that don't or have problems. Our pastor is allergic to cats. He cannot spend a long time in our house and our cats dont shed..........the DOG sheds. He takes meds if he has to visit us.

But when he is here, the animals are sent downstairs to stay for a short visit. IMO most visits are short and I don't understand why you cannot make a few adjustments for a couple of hours.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

But when he is here, the animals are sent downstairs to stay for a short visit. IMO most visits are short and I don't understand why you cannot make a few adjustments for a couple of hours.
I have not run into a situation where my cats needed to be confined for the comfort of my guests, but if it was necessary I would definately do so.