They grow so so fast.....

meegz_123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone
I don't know if anyone remembers me...but you all have been a great help
I love this site!!
My kitties are 6 weeks on Monday March 9th. What is the ususal age they can be given away at? They are all pretty much weened off Gidget (the momma) and eating hard and soft food, using the litter box...well all but 1 little guy...but 1 outta 7 ain't so bad
also drinking water too. I have heard anywhere from 5-12 weeks...thats quite the span. So what do the experts say?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meegz_123

Hey everyone
I don't know if anyone remembers me...but you all have been a great help
I love this site!!
My kitties are 6 weeks on Monday March 9th. What is the ususal age they can be given away at? They are all pretty much weened off Gidget (the momma) and eating hard and soft food, using the litter box...well all but 1 little guy...but 1 outta 7 ain't so bad
also drinking water too. I have heard anywhere from 5-12 weeks...thats quite the span. So what do the experts say?
I think it's 12 weeks... 5 weeks is definitely way too early. 10 weeks might be fine... I am sure you will get responses from experienced breeders in the site

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My last litter was 10 weeks old, first litter in the summer at 8 weeks. Both different mothers and both different in the way they were at the "end". My first litter was of 8 kittens and were easy to wean, this last one held on to mom for a while longer. Definitely 6 weeks is too young, mom needs to socialize them more and they need their littermates to learn important skills they'll need for new homes.

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say that 12 weeks is the best, but 10 weeks isn't too bad either. Much younger than that is too young though. Kittens that are seperated from mama and littermates too young miss out on essential learning and developement.