Any Respiratory Therapists????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd post and see if any of you were respiratory therapists or new someone who was? I have an appointment on Wednesday with a local college (I'm going back to school soon to finish my degree). One of the majors I'm considering at the moment is Respiratory Theapy. In my area there's a 15 month accrediated program that will fit into my price range and schedule, and once I graduate it would give me a source of steady income/pay....something more than just survivable. Not to mention with the class schedule, I will be able to fit in work hours as well so it will be flexible with me working and going to school. It is also a field that I can always advance in down the road as well if I seek even more higher education in that field, so it definitely has possibility for me to move up income/job wise. I've done all of the research on pay/job demand etc in my area and it looks like a great field to get into (Even taking the economy into consideration.)

Origionally I was looking into Radiology, but I think I would enjoy the respiratory therapy more (I can certainly relate to patients having asthma/bronchitis issues...and I would love to help people.) Not to meniton, the radiology program is a good bit longer, more expensive, and makes almost the same amount of money! Seems like a no brainer to go for Respiratoy Therapy on several levels!

Anways I just wanted to see if any of you did that for a living.....do you enjoy it? How is the work/pay in your area?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a "Respiratory Therapist", but as a nurse we do a great deal of respiratory therapy. Respiratory is actually an area that I would love to work in, that or cardiac sciences.

As a respiratory therapist in a hospital you will be attending all of their code blues/99 calls in order to ventilate patients. You will also be going around doing blood gases on people, and giving ventolin/atrovent treatments by mask. In Manitoba respiratory therapists do not do "Chest Physio" where they pummel the back to help release secretions in the lungs: physiotherapy does that. It might be different in other places though.

I think it's a very fascinating field to be in.

If you are seeking to move, there really isn't a great deal of mobility with the job though.

If you are going to go to school for 18 months, why not extend it to 24 months and take Nursing? I think you would make a fabulous nurse! With nursing there is job stability, money and mobility.

Funny you should mention Radiology. When I was looking to go back to school I was interested in Radiation too. I wanted to administer radiation treatments to cancer patients. However, the only thing that stopped me from going into that field was the fact that technology isn't the same all over and therefore the mobility wasn't there should I want to move at some point in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm not a "Respiratory Therapist", but as a nurse we do a great deal of respiratory therapy. Respiratory is actually an area that I would love to work in, that or cardiac sciences.

As a respiratory therapist in a hospital you will be attending all of their code blues/99 calls in order to ventilate patients. You will also be going around doing blood gases on people, and giving ventolin/atrovent treatments by mask. In Manitoba respiratory therapists do not do "Chest Physio" where they pummel the back to help release secretions in the lungs: physiotherapy does that. It might be different in other places though.

I think it's a very fascinating field to be in.

If you are seeking to move, there really isn't a great deal of mobility with the job though.

If you are going to go to school for 18 months, why not extend it to 24 months and take Nursing? I think you would make a fabulous nurse! With nursing there is job stability, money and mobility.

Funny you should mention Radiology. When I was looking to go back to school I was interested in Radiation too. I wanted to administer radiation treatments to cancer patients. However, the only thing that stopped me from going into that field was the fact that technology isn't the same all over and therefore the mobility wasn't there should I want to move at some point in the future.
Linda thankyou for your insight!
I really appreicate it!

The respiratory therapy program is actually just 15 months....and I may be able to start this summer (if not, then definitely in the fall). I'm wanting to persue that one right now simply because time wise, it's 15 months start to finish- you don't have to have 2 yrs. of pre reqs. beforehand like you do with nursing (nursing around here is a 4 yr bachelors degree in most cases.....and honestly I just need something quickly given the divorce and all right now, so 15 months at this point is just much more practicle for me.) I'm thinking I would really love respiratory therapy because I will be able to relate to the patients....I've been there before having to go to the emergency room for ashtma attack or pnemonia/etc....and I know what it's like as a patient to be scared, so I think that would help make me relate to the patient more and provide them with better care hopefully.
My plan is once I graduate from the program in 15 months, then I can find a steady job and get on my feet....once I do that I can go back and take more classes to get my bachelors and well if I really love it I can always persue more schooling in that field....so for now, I can do that short term then go right into a job- then later on if I want better pay or to advance more in that field, I can have the option to persue more schooling once I get on my feet. That's my game plan so far anways lol!! I have a meeting on Wednesday with an advisor to discuss things and also with the financial aid people- so I'm just praying everything works out!

I don't think job mobility should be a problem for me as I'm not planning to move out of this area. And fortunately, in the Memphis area- there are hospitals and doctors offices everywhere you turn...I've done some checking around so far and it looks like it's a good field to get into job security wise, so that should help!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Linda thankyou for your insight!
I really appreicate it!

The respiratory therapy program is actually just 15 months....and I may be able to start this summer (if not, then definitely in the fall). I'm wanting to persue that one right now simply because time wise, it's 15 months start to finish- you don't have to have 2 yrs. of pre reqs. beforehand like you do with nursing (nursing around here is a 4 yr bachelors degree in most cases.....and honestly I just need something quickly given the divorce and all right now, so 15 months at this point is just much more practicle for me.) I'm thinking I would really love respiratory therapy because I will be able to relate to the patients....I've been there before having to go to the emergency room for ashtma attack or pnemonia/etc....and I know what it's like as a patient to be scared, so I think that would help make me relate to the patient more and provide them with better care hopefully.
My plan is once I graduate from the program in 15 months, then I can find a steady job and get on my feet....once I do that I can go back and take more classes to get my bachelors and well if I really love it I can always persue more schooling in that field....so for now, I can do that short term then go right into a job- then later on if I want better pay or to advance more in that field, I can have the option to persue more schooling once I get on my feet. That's my game plan so far anways lol!! I have a meeting on Wednesday with an advisor to discuss things and also with the financial aid people- so I'm just praying everything works out!

I don't think job mobility should be a problem for me as I'm not planning to move out of this area. And fortunately, in the Memphis area- there are hospitals and doctors offices everywhere you turn...I've done some checking around so far and it looks like it's a good field to get into job security wise, so that should help!
I can only tell you that the folks I met in respirology during my hospital stay and the ones that came to my house to check me out were lovely.

Here's wishing you the best getting into the program. I'm sure once you are qualified you will be an awesome addition to any team.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I can only tell you that the folks I met in respirology during my hospital stay and the ones that came to my house to check me out were lovely.

Here's wishing you the best getting into the program. I'm sure once you are qualified you will be an awesome addition to any team.
Thankyou Linda, I really appreicate that!
I'm glad to hear that you've had positive experiences with respiratory therapists in the past...that's good. I've always had really good experiences with them as well when i've needed to go to the pulmonologists office or the emergency room....for the most part it seems like there are some good people in that field, and that a job in that area can offer me a chance to really get on my feet and have stability and a good life for myself, so i'm hoping it all works out well.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with what you decide
!

I'm starting an RN program in August. It has been one LOOOONNNNGGG road. Between prerequisites, taking an entire year off after my dad passed away, etc. I am just ready to start! So I can understand where you're coming from that you want to do a 15 month program. No prerequisites at all? Wow.

I chose nursing b/c I want some flexibility with my career. I know I'm going to have to "pay my dues" in step-down/ telmetry/ med-surg etc until I get the job I want- which is working with kids. But I also want the option that if I want to get a higher degree (which I don't even want to think about right now- all I want is an RN so I can get a job that pays more than $8/hr) I can.

I'm not sure about job security either. At one point I was looking at OT assisitant, but to go upward you need a doctorate. I'm having a time just getting a 2 year degree I don't even want to THINK about a doctorate

And as far as radiology- I met several ladies trying to get into the program at the community college I'm taking my math class at. HARD program to get in. You had to almost have an A average in everything to apply for it. And there were only 30 or so spots a year.
Cheryl

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My best friend's sister is a Respiratory Therapist. She and I are friends too but it's been a bit since I've seen her. She seems to be pretty happy with her job. I don't know exactly why; but she's working at a hospital a couple hours from home. I think she chose to work there to get experience mostly because it's not like we don't have several hospitals around here. It's something I've been thinking I should look into lately. I know she said she has very good benefits there. Something she's really appreciating with having Chrons disease and she's pregnant now too.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The RT's at the hospital I work at do pretty much ALL of the respiratory care, but its different at every hospital. We also have travelling RT's. I don't know how common travelling RT's are but they ARE out there if you would decide in the future that you wanted to travel.