Neutered...but still wandering...

joey_jo_jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, let me start by saying that I know many people will recommend that my cat be an indoor cat. I've heard it and would prefer not to hear it any more. I'm respectfully, trying to find a real solution.

I have a I have an 8 month old Siberian. i had him neutered at 6 months of age. I love the little guy and want him to experience everything life has to offer. I know that this is not in my house, thus I do let him out for short periods of time.

Normally he is out for an hour or so at a time and then comes running back for a treat. despite being very nervous about him being out I know he would be miserable inside.

On a couple of occasions lately he has wandered off quite far where he has crossed a major street. (He, in both cases, actually ran to a horse betting establishment where the security officers called us to pick him up)

I'm trying to find out if anyone has any ideas as to how I might keep him from wandering off like this? I thought that being neutered would help in this regard but he seems to keep doing this. I know the easy answer is to just keep him in but frankly, I'd rather be kit by a car than kept indoors for the rest of my life.

I've checked out these RF collars but nothing seems to be made for cats, in a size that they can wear.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Please!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is nothing you can do to keep a cat from wandering.

Just curious, why do you think a cat cant experience a happy life inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joey_jo_jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No insult intended (in the event that you have indoor cats). I believe this for the same reason that an elephant would be happier in the wild, despite it's having a longer life span in a zoo. Can you imagine never again being able to feel the sun on your head or the smell of spring and the wind blowing....I can't. Again, all due respect...Just my belief...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand that and am not insulted by it. In the same respect, can I ask you some things.

But first, I want to say this, I have very tall cat trees throughout my home, so that my cats can climb high places. I have a sunroom for them to enjoy fresh breezes and can lay in the sun for hours. They have each other and play with each other, chasing, grooming and sleeping together.

On the other hand, the cat next to my name, was inside/outside cat. I had her for many many years. To this day, I have no idea where she is, what happened to her. Shes just gone. Its been 6 years and my heart is still broken.

There are trade offs, especially if you live by busy streets. You just have to ask yourself is it worth it. There are things you can do inside your home to mimic the outside plus keep them safe not just from cars, but from people, who do mean things to cats.

And I am not trying to insult you, just share my experience.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Joey_Jo_Jo

No insult intended (in the event that you have indoor cats). I believe this for the same reason that an elephant would be happier in the wild, despite it's having a longer life span in a zoo. Can you imagine never again being able to feel the sun on your head or the smell of spring and the wind blowing....I can't. Again, all due respect...Just my belief...
A major street with cars crossing at high speeds in not anything close to the wild.
Cats are extremely adaptable, and they are very happy inside.
Also, please consider that inside they live an average of 16+ years, while outside they live 3-4yrs...
A cat with diseases, that gets beat up in fights and run by cars is not a happy cat by any means.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Can you imagine never again being able to feel the sun on your head or the smell of spring and the wind blowing....I can't.
They can get that in front of a window, in an enclosure or out on a harness & lead.

You can't stop an outside cat from wandering.

I have 8 cat trees for my three cats so they are quite happy and entertained indoors, and they also enjoy several hours outside harnessed. They enjoy being outdoors, playing in the garden and it keeps them safe.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you decide you want your cat to experience the outdoors, then you are going to have to deal with the consequences whether it be him wandering, getting injured, etc.

I couldn't do it myself because I would feel so guilty if something happened to my cat because of my choice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has a neutered male that still roams far and wide. How far is your boy going? I've read that a neutered male will have a territory of about a square mile (which isn't a big as it sounds.....about 4 blocks in every direction from home). Which is about as far as my mom's cat goes. He's about 12 now and doesn't go as far as he used to, but he's no homebody. I don't know how you could keep him closer. If he likes the horse betting establishment it will be hard to prevent him from visiting (my mom's cat has picked out a church he likes. Fortunately they like him too).

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our one cat has an invisible fence that includes most of the yard around our house. He used to wander across the street, too. He got used to the invisible fence pretty quickly, and he's never left our yard since. Although the collar is big and probably uncomfortable, I think he prefers being out with an uncomfortable collar than being inside all day without a collar. It's expensive, but it allows the cat to enjoy the outdoors while keeping him safe.

joey_jo_jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds great. I wish I was able to do something like that where I live. I have a nice house but nothing that would allow for anything like that. I hear what you're saying. Since Magnus' last trip to the gambling house he hasn't been out at all. I think we're both sad. I'm going to try abd post his picture after this message.....He's a handsome boy!

joey_jo_jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This invisible fence sounds like it's worth looking in to. I also came across this: http://www.loc8tor.com. If it does what it's supposes to it might be good as well. I'm trying to find someone who has used it.

Originally Posted by Willowy

My mom has a neutered male that still roams far and wide. How far is your boy going? I've read that a neutered male will have a territory of about a square mile (which isn't a big as it sounds.....about 4 blocks in every direction from home). Which is about as far as my mom's cat goes. He's about 12 now and doesn't go as far as he used to, but he's no homebody. I don't know how you could keep him closer. If he likes the horse betting establishment it will be hard to prevent him from visiting (my mom's cat has picked out a church he likes. Fortunately they like him too).

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might look into a cat enclosure, or, if you have a fenced yard, look into installing a Purrfect fence.

Short of keeping him inside, or finding an enclosure system that suits you, there is no way to keep him from wandering.

joey_jo_jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you completely. I just can't help but feel that there are negative consequences to either option. I'm toiling over which is worse...This is why I'm trying to find a safe solution. BTW - your cat's are adorable!

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, let me start by saying that I know many people will recommend that my cat be an indoor cat. I've heard it and would prefer not to hear it any more. I'm respectfully, trying to find a real solution.

I have a I have an 8 month old Siberian. i had him neutered at 6 months of age. I love the little guy and want him to experience everything life has to offer. I know that this is not in my house, thus I do let him out for short periods of time.

Normally he is out for an hour or so at a time and then comes running back for a treat. despite being very nervous about him being out I know he would be miserable inside.

On a couple of occasions lately he has wandered off quite far where he has crossed a major street. (He, in both cases, actually ran to a horse betting establishment where the security officers called us to pick him up)

I'm trying to find out if anyone has any ideas as to how I might keep him from wandering off like this? I thought that being neutered would help in this regard but he seems to keep doing this. I know the easy answer is to just keep him in but frankly, I'd rather be kit by a car than kept indoors for the rest of my life.

I've checked out these RF collars but nothing seems to be made for cats, in a size that they can wear.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Please!
you have a lovely cat. I'm not sure if or how you could keep him from wondering, but perhaps if you took him on a long walk (like a leash, or in a cage he could see out of) farther then he is going he could get used to things and smells and would atleast be less likely to run into trouble? I have no idea if it would work or not, but I do know if I was in your place, I would feel better doing something. I hate feeling that helpless.

I do understand what you mean by having a indoor/outdoor cat. From the age of 4 all my cats have been indoor outdoor cats, and at times (when they were between the ages of 2 and 4) they would take off for as long as a week at time. I didn't have a problem until Mai Sai, now I'm trying to keep spirit inside, I don't think I could go through that again.

joey_jo_jo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been looking so sad since the last incident that I went out and got him a proper safe harness. It's going to be harness in the yard until we can find a better solution. He doesn't care for it either but, it's a beautiful day here and at least he can get some fresh air...

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried my cat on a harness, all she did was growl...

Anyway, just in case you're interested, the invisible fence was about $1000 for half an acre, plus you need new batteries every few months. The invisible fence people come in your house and show the cat how the fence works (ouch!)...it seems we weren't the first people to get a fence for a cat.