What are your experiences with due dates?

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was due over 10 days ago according to one vet who we saw on Feb.11, and 5 days ago according to another vet we saw on Feb. 16. I called one of the vets and they said to give her till Monday and they will re-evaluate her.

Otherwise, all the kittens are moving and our cat, Coral, is doing great. My question is, has anyone had a vet tell them a date that far off? I called the vet office and of course they said that the vet isn't usually off by more than a few days. I'm getting very anxious and very tired of waiting.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are generally "on time" with their due dates. You need to ask yourself when the first time you felt the babies moving. They start moving at 2 weeks before the due date. It's pretty much very close to that. Vets are people too and are known to be wrong sometimes. I think you're just going to have to wait and see. I waited for signs as well for both my pregnant cats and they were both different in the signs. One had vaginal discharge and one did not. One had milk come in on time, and one did not...so it's hard to predict sometimes unless you know the date of mating. Nesting was very sporadic for both girls too, so I just tried to keep a very watchful eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has had milk for almost a week and other than that, not much has happened. She did start digging at the towels in her box today, but I have learned to not get too excited with everything she does. She has been sleeping a lot today and isn't eating as much, but still eating.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we don't know the actual date of the breeding, the we have to rely upon physical signs and behavioral changes to guide us. It is extremely difficult for anyone, vets included to just look at a cat and predict a due date.

The normal gestation period for cats is anywhere from 62-68 days, depending on the cat. You have to also keep in mind that cats are individuals. I had one queen who delivered spot on 63 days in each and every litter and then I know others who will drag things out to 65 or 66 days.

If you are feeling a lot of movement in such a way as it appears the kittens are doing the mambo in there, then you are very close. Milk usually comes in 5 to 8 days before delivery and you may or may not see a cat cease eating before delivery. In fact, my queen came out of the delivery crate and ate between delivering kittens! Then she would have a contraction and go running back to the crate ... gotta love 'em!

My guess is that if she is digging around more in her nesting box, shows any signs of being anxious, needy, displays lots of vocalizing and constantly wanting you closeby, then get ready for kittens within about 6 to 12 hours.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It eases my mind a bit to hear peoples stories. I can picture Coral doing the same thing with eating. That's so funny! She has been clinging to me a lot, but she's always like that. Today was the first time she dug at the towel in her box, so maybe that's something? We'll see. I will definatly post about the experience. She has been meowing a bit tonight too, which she is not a meower. Lots of signs tonight. Also, do cat's like humans, "drop" in a sense? I notice today that she almost seems like the cats have moved and she doesn't look at big as she has for the past couple of weeks.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you don't know the breeding date it seems like it's as much a guessing game for the vets as it is for us. When I took Goldy in the vet thought she would deliver in 2-3 weeks, probably closer to 2 weeks. It ended up being 4-1/2 weeks! I was a total wreck the last two weeks.

Yes, the babies will move down the uterine horns, or "drop". She'll look slimmer from above but her belly will be hanging down more.

for a good delivery---soon!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's even with an ultrasound. I thought that was almost spot-on, but I guess not. Sounds good. I still am hoping for tonight. She has been meowing and following me around like crazy. Why do they do that? I feel like she wants me to sleep in the bathroom with her tonight. I love her lots, but I love my bed too. She usually sleeps in bed with us, but she's staying close to her box tonight. Another reason why I think it's the night.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do not know the exact days that a cat bred, then its harder to predict due dates. Most cats will have them between 63-68 days. My queens went 64-69 days - average 64-66. But we know when they were bred.

I can see 5 days difference but not 10.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was sure it would be last night. She even climbed on me in the middle of the night and was being really weird. It's good to know that it can happen to someone else too. 11 days off now. It seems like such a long time to be off with such a short gestation. I'm just keeping a close eye on her and am not holding my breath, though I am losing tons of sleep!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is called being on "Kitten Watch". Sleep deprivation, anxiety, a feeling of impending doom *smile* You'll get through it and be just fine, I promise.

When those little babies do arrive and start to run hither and yon all through your house, it'll make up for all the sleepless nights you had waiting for them ... unless, of course, they go running through your house at Oh-God-Thirty AM. *LOL*

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He he...thank you for the encouragement. You're so funny! I keep thinking, this is the day, this is the night...every single day and night. I guess it just shows that we care.

mishirish

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I took Patience in, the vet estimated she had 4 weeks until delivery. I was extremely surprised when she delivered 12 days later. =p And she had six kittens, so it wasn't like it was a small litter. A guess is a guess!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! I was certain she would have them when you listed all those signs!
Well, it should be soon!!!
Good Luck Coral!

You'll have to show us some pictures when their born!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I thought so too. I can't believe she hasn't had them yet. I check her every 30 mintues and am planning my daughter's 3rd birthday party, so I was hoping it wouldn't happen this weekend. Now though, I just want it to happen, whenever the time. Last night she was being really anxious, meowing lots, and wouldn't leave my side. Today, she's back to her normal self! Weird.

That's funny that the vet was so off and with so many kittens! That must have been quite the shock having them come so early.

Do you think she's not delivering because she doesn't like the space that I'm giving her? The past few days, when I open the door to the bathroom, she comes bolting out. I only keep her in there when I'm going to be gone for more than 30 minutes or so, so it's not like she's stuck in there all the time. I wonder if I make another set-up as well in our closet, she will maybe like that better?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco had on the worse day it cold have been.
She had on moving day so i had to leave her behind until the kittens were weaned.
She was so huge you wold see the kittens kicking her from across the room.
I hope your cat has soon.
I was told it would be three kittens but she had 5.
The last two were dead.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Coral. I feel like she's smaller than she was a few days ago, thus my question about do kittens "drop", or start moving towards the birth canal. I just took this picture. I have one of her from 3 1/2 weeks ago too, but I think it's on my husband's computer, so I'll have to bug him to get that one. but I'd love to compare! Ignore my feel
I need a pedicure!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That probably means she'll have them during my daughter's party
Wouldn't that be entertainment! Ha ha. Yeah, we can see the kittens moving from across the room here too. It's so weird. How far along was she when you could see the kittens moving from across the room?

maizeysugah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MY cat is acting so strangely today, roaming from room to room. She hasn't been at all affectionate, either. It's like she's avoiding me. I found her in the food pantry at one point and took her to the room where I have the box prepared, but she just bawled and clawed at the door until I let her out.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I've had her for 50 days now, I've been able to see kittens kicking around in her belly for like two weeks. It's so frustrating!