update for Mons (cat eating cat litter)

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dropped him off for his blood work today. Mom picked him up from the vet. The news is not good so far. She said the vet didn't want to say what he think it is until the blood work comes back, but he was very serious about his condition. Last time she took him for me (I took him the previous two times), the vet was rather upbeat. This time she said the vet appeared so sad that she almost cried. I've been doing some research and I have a feeling about what we're about to be told.

Besides eating the cat litter, he lost some more weight. He's now only 4.0 pounds at over 8 1/2 months. He'll be 9 months on the 15th.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds scary. I'd almost rather have the vet say what the possibilities are to give me time to prepare.
that it's something treatable even if it is serious.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little baby. Sending many prayers for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he's supposed to call my mom or I (he's actually my cat, but my mom has been involved with his care and is really close to him) tomorrow as soon as the results come in. According to what my mom said she was told, he'll discuss treatment plans then. We are both very nervous.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to make you say it out loud (or should I say, type it), but what are you worried that it might be?

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chronic renal failure

he's young, but there's nothing else that explains his downhill condition well enough

at the least he's probably anemic due to the research I've done.

I told my mom if she's the one that talks to them to get a copy of the blood results. tomorrow is a busy day at the credit union (I'm a teller there) so I probably won't have much of a chance to speak with them.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just remember that other cats that were diagnosed with CRF when young went on to live good lives for many, many years. CRF can be managed.
Please, post his numbers here when you get them. There are many members on this board that have dealt with this with their cats and will give you advice and moral support. Me for one.

for Mons.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Please, post his numbers here when you get them. There are many members on this board that have dealt with this with their cats and will give you advice and moral support. Me for one.

for Mons.
I will. Unless I have to (I usually get done close to 6:30 on Fridays and the vet closes at 7), I've asked mom to request a copy of the lab results. In a way, it's a good thing she likes this cat (she's not as close to my other cat, Luna) because she's willing to take him without a bribe. Of course, I have to fork over the dough for the visits
. She wasn't too thrilled when she called me about his $173 vet bill. You can imagine how I felt as I withdrew the money from the savings for our trip next month which may not materialize depending on the costs for Mons' treatment. I try to save money, but the kitties just won't let me.

We've done some discussion already regarding how far we are going to go with his treatment. I've told mom hopefully that it doesn't come to the $$$, but the number one priority regarding whether we go through with it, is about him and his quality of life. That's why we're planning to gather as much information as we can regarding his specific prognosis and what his options are.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that is what I was thinking it might be.
There are a lot of treatments for it.
My Coco has it.
Can you post his numbers when you get them?
I lost a a few yong cats to arf.
I can help yo if its crf.
I order some of Cocos meds online becase it is alot cheaper then the vet.
Do not give up on him.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no, we do not plan on giving up on him. Mom already asked will he be in pain. I already told her what I learned so far through the research I've been doing on here and elsewhere.

His problem is how much weight he loses. He does not have much weight left to lose. If we can get him from losing more weight, we will be more optimistic.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom spoke with the vet today (he wanted to speak with her) and the vet was obviously upset. He made her have a seat. From the blood results so far, he believes he has FIP. Before he releases the results, he is requesting that the lab do one more test. But it looks very bad for him. He believes Mons has the wet form.

Edit: He has fluid in the lungs.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
February 21-22

They are supposed to call us Monday to either give us the results of the other test (if there's enough serum left) or have us bring him back to get some more. My mom is extremely heartbroken. Officially he is my cat - I adopted him - but she's the one that sleeps with him since he has not been here long enough for me to let them be together in my room without me being awake to monitor them.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am not sre if it can spread that fast from a cat show.
Prayers for him.
My Yoshi lasted 8 months.
that's not what I meant - it's obvious now that he came from the shelter that way. I just found out from a couple of coworkers familiar with the shelter (actually more like a rescue) that they have a reputation for sick cats. Stupid me thought he was small due to crappy food.