A question (or two) for those in the medical industry

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When/if you wear surgical/scrub hats, what type do you prefer?

Also, how much do you spend on them, and/or how much would you pay for unique ones?

I'm looking at making them to sell. I have plenty of cottons, some cat fabrics, some other stuff.

Amanda

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I wore them I liked the bouffant ones with the cordlock in them. I would pay between $10-15 for them.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in the O.R., and I just prefer the disposable bouffant ones that the hospital supplies. I have to admit, the fabric ones have become very popular in our O.R. The women seem to prefer the bouffant ones, and the men prefer the 'surgeon' style cap. We have a gal who makes them and sells them for $12 or so, depending on the fabric. This is what hers look like, except the women's style that she makes has a wider forehead band. http://www.ssb2.net/users/5521/colt_glow.jpg She usually uses two different, but complimenting, fabrics for the forehead band and bouffant part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on making them to sell, hence my questions. I thought up another question after I posted the poll and was on my way to class.

When you buy them, do you get just one, or buy a few so you always have one or two clean?

Thanks!

Amanda

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in our OR they only use the disposable ones. I've seem surgeons on the ward with what looks like cloth caps, but when they are in the OR they use the disposable ones.

Some things that sell really well to those in the medical profession, well to nurses anyway, are cloth stethoscope covers. I have a couple of them that I change around. They're more comfortable than having a rubber tube resting against your neck.

Also, what about making uniforms. When I first started nursing I used to make all of my own uniforms because there were only a couple of uniform places here. One store had only stripped uniforms! I felt like I had just gotten out of prison. The other was way too pricey! So I started sewing my own. I found many asked where I had bought my uniform and when they found out I made it (sans pattern), some asked if I could make them some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Here in our OR they only use the disposable ones. I've seem surgeons on the ward with what looks like cloth caps, but when they are in the OR they use the disposable ones.

Some things that sell really well to those in the medical profession, well to nurses anyway, are cloth stethoscope covers. I have a couple of them that I change around. They're more comfortable than having a rubber tube resting against your neck.

Also, what about making uniforms. When I first started nursing I used to make all of my own uniforms because there were only a couple of uniform places here. One store had only stripped uniforms! I felt like I had just gotten out of prison. The other was way too pricey! So I started sewing my own. I found many asked where I had bought my uniform and when they found out I made it (sans pattern), some asked if I could make them some.
I just don't have enough space to set up making uniforms. Small stuff is good. Stethoscope covers would be easy enough. I can make up a pattern for those easily enough. If I had a dedicated sewing space with a large cutting table, yes. Maybe I'll work up to it and maybe do some special order scrubs. I have a pattern (same with the hat)... so stetho covers and hats... I'll do mock ups of each in one of my marble fabrics (boring compared to the other fabrics i have).

Thanks!
Amanda