Hi guys, I'm back again

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many of you remember me from the summer. We had Murphy who ended up having 4 healthy kits... we found great homes for all of the kits, unfortunately Murphy had to have a few surgeries for a prolapsed rectum. The vet seems to think it was from kitten birth, as she was on quality cat foot. It ended up happening multiple times, and she had to be put to sleep. =O( SOOOOOOOO... then I had my 3 boys.. one of the kits from the litter, the Siamese and the Tuxedo cat. With the money that was put out in the surgeries for Murphy we were short on fundage for the boys to be neutered, but then again.. we had no females in the house, so it was not a huge hurry.

Here's where the turn happened. My son brought home this kitten. It is a female, and it was COLD outside so I felt bad. I took her to vet.. and they guesstimated her to be 3 months old or so. They said she would not need to be spayed just yet... so ok. They told me to wait 2 months and then schedule it. So, needless to say.. They guessed her age wrong, and she is now heavily pregnant. AND YES, before anyone jumps down my throat.. the boys are being neutered this next week. I am not really sure when she mated... so I am kind of new to this guessing thing. I pretty much knew wen Murphy had mated, so guessing the due date was fairly easy.

The past week to week and a half the babies have been MOVING all over the place... I can't notice any milk in, but her nipples are crusty... which is new. She has been VERY affectionate towards me the past 2 days, which is a bit new for her... She is meowing more... and she does the kneading thing ALOT.. along with purring. Any guesses on when she would be ready? I'm guessing within the next few days....

I never even saw her in heat or anything... it just blows my mind. BUT I have had her now for a while, so I know she had to have gotten pregnant here, and not outside before she was brought in. She is a beautiful tabby, named Ali, as she was found in an alley!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much girls. It was such an exciting time with Murphy, and I'm back in this same place.. but the waiting is OH so hard to do.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
female kittens are going into heat earlier than they used to. So it's a problem... with babies having babies.

So how old does the vet think she is now???

And as others here have taught me, cats are induced ovulators. Having the unfixed boys around was enough ... and when she mated with one of them, or he mated with her -- that triggered the release of eggs. And voila - babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

female kittens are going into heat earlier than they used to. So it's a problem... with babies having babies.

So how old does the vet think she is now???

And as others here have taught me, cats are induced ovulators. Having the unfixed boys around was enough ... and when she mated with one of them, or he mated with her -- that triggered the release of eggs. And voila - babies.
No one honestly knows how old she is now. Guessing 6 months? Meaning she would have been approx 4 months old when she got pregnant. I am not proud of the situation, nor had I planned for it. We took her in, and it happened. I tried to give her a good home, out of the cold.... and it turned out not the way I had planned. BUT, here we are, and she should be having the babies any day now. I'm hoping she and the kits will be healthy.... and they all have homes to go to already. The boys will be fixed next week.. and she will be fixed once kits are weaned and leaving the house approx 10-12 weeks.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How long has she been in your house? Cat gestation seems to be about 63 days, give or take a few days.

I'm sorry about your other momma cat. Hope things go better for this little one.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WhitePwny

No one honestly knows how old she is now. Guessing 6 months? Meaning she would have been approx 4 months old when she got pregnant. I am not proud of the situation, nor had I planned for it. We took her in, and it happened. I tried to give her a good home, out of the cold.... and it turned out not the way I had planned. BUT, here we are, and she should be having the babies any day now. I'm hoping she and the kits will be healthy.... and they all have homes to go to already. The boys will be fixed next week.. and she will be fixed once kits are weaned and leaving the house approx 10-12 weeks.
Oh, wow. Has the vet said whether or not there could be delivery issues with a mama so young? Or post birth care? Someone here once likened that to a 13 year old girl giving birth. that everything goes ok.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitten will be okay giving birth.

The boys will still be fertile for 2 months after neutering, so be sure to keep them apart from your girl until you get her spayed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be prepared for a c-section with her being that young. That's why we try to get people to understand to get them done EARLY. Males and females will breed as young as 4 months old and don't have to be in heat to breed or get pregnant.

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Be prepared for a c-section with her being that young. That's why we try to get people to understand to get them done EARLY. Males and females will breed as young as 4 months old and don't have to be in heat to breed or get pregnant.
Thanks!

I've seen my vet, and she thinks everything will be fine. She told me that cats in the wild have been doing this forever, and that she really thinks that Ali will do fine. I'm crossing my fingers. She told me we could do an US just to see how many, but I can wait to find that out. She is already separated from the boys, and she LOVES to be in here in my bedroom, so it's going to work out as far as keeping her away from them. Thanks alot.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they may have been doing this fine in the wild, but who's keeping track of all the cats that are dying giving birth or have complications and die later - no one counts those and the dead kittens.

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think people really keep track. I didn't come on here to be bashed.... or to be made to feel worse than I already do about the situation. I had three male cats here.. and I took in a stray OUT of the COLD so that she didn't DIE. Unfortunately, I was given bad advice from a vet about not fixing her yet... and she ended up getting pregnant. I received very good advice here before when I had Murphy and she had her kittens.

I said in the very first post here about Ali, that I was NOT proud of the situation, but it is what it is, and the babies will be here any day. I can't stress and then in turn HER stress. I know how much everyone on this board adores cats... and I figured I could lean in and get a little support on the feelings I'm having myself about this. I guess I was wrong.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Thats so exciting! hehe, I love the name choice! just remember to keep her separated from the males, so they don't harm the kittens, or get her pregnant again...
good Luck Ali!
Keep us updated!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder to all about the guidelines of this forum:

In the interest of reality and to promote our primary mission of cat welfare, the focus of this forum is to assist those who may find themselves having to care for a pregnant cat NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE UNDER WHICH THE CAT CAME TO BE PREGNANT or to hand-raise kittens.

Keeping this focus in mind, the rule is that NO ONE should be judgmental of anyone posting a request for assistance - please do not automatically cite all the good reasons why a cat should be spayed or neutered. This only serves to alienate those who might otherwise be helped here and perhaps forever turn them off from seeking our help - how can we reach people who won't come to our Forums for fear of being jumped on? Again, the FOCUS of this Forum is to assist those who, for WHATEVER reason, may find themselves the primary caregiver to a pregnant cat or orphaned kittens. It is NOT to focus of this Forum to judge anyone requesting assistance. In order to reach as many people as we can with the message of responsible cat care, we must always always always remember to treat everyone here with kindness, consideration and respect. We want to make this a safe, comfortable place for everyone, regardless of their circumstances, to ask questions and seek assistance.
I hope Ali has a safe delivery. Please keep her updated on her progress.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like you're just the victim of bad advice or bad vet practices. Most of the vets we deal with will do spays very young, even before 3 months, because we've had problems with brother/sister kittens in the same cage ending up expecting, long before we thought it was possible.

But now you know the meaning of the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished."

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It sounds to me like you're just the victim of bad advice or bad vet practices. Most of the vets we deal with will do spays very young, even before 3 months, because we've had problems with brother/sister kittens in the same cage ending up expecting, long before we thought it was possible.

But now you know the meaning of the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished."
Isn't that the truth.

She is just doing alot of laying around. Since I'm not sure on dates...we are thinking she's between 60 - 62 days today. So, I know it will be soon!

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today is much like the others, she is laying around... she hasd been a little cuddle bug. The babies look like they are trying to bust themselves out! Gosh, hopefully not too long now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should probably be prepared to help out if necessary, and mentally prepare yourself for a bad outcome. First litters of young mothers often have problems, including stillborns, etc.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good advice to prepare yourself, but I do hear lots of good things about successful births from young mommies, as well as them being good about caring for their young. My vet is very encouraging and has said that our Coral, who is now 8 months or so and is due anyday, should be just fine. I guess all we can do is prepare ourselves for any sort of outcome and hope for the best. She'll do great I bet. Don't worry too much. I gave up on the worrying and just want the kittens to come out now

Best of luck! My Coral has been less affectionate as well, which is weird. We'll see.

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My best friend's cat had her first litter and there was a still born, and one that died a few days after birth, I am very much prepared for there being issues. I have been in contact with the vet, and I have everything I need here to help if I am needed. I have to bring myself to believe that there are going to be at least 2 little healthy ones, as her belly is busy allll day long. These little guys are strong! It sure is amazing.

This is the second time I have gone thru this, and I was prepared for something bad last time, and Murphy gave birth to 4 healthy kits. I am doing the same this time.. preparing myself for the worst and hoping for the best. She is really cleaning around her nipples and I really do believe that the instinct is taking over. I do belive she will be a good mother. So I guess we will see in a few days. I'm kind of hoping today. =o)