What Breed of Kitty Do I Have?

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Her name is BA, and she's got a bobtail, but that still doesn't help me to figure out what breed she is..
We got her from some guy in Parkersburg WV, and all he knew was that his cat got pregnant and some came out bobtail (which were the black, white, and grey kittens) and the rest came out with "regular tails".

(btw, that's the first picture I took of her, she was 6 weeks.. now she's 5 months! She's getting so big, and I treat her like she's my baby! When my boyfriends gone she gets upset and hides from me, then when he gets home she sleeps with us.. and sometimes she sleeps on my face..
She's like a puppy sometimes too! She loves to give kisses esp. to me.. OHH, back to my point, my boyfriend always tells me she looks "mangy" in this picture, and she did then.. But then I gave her a bath and now she looks prettttty! okay, thats all!!)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you post a more recent picture? Kitties change an awful lot in the first few months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm trying to get my newer pictures on my computer, but all I have right now is my phone, and it's taking forever for them to get to my e-mail.

BTW, how do you get an avatar?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's cute - a domestic longhair (or semi-longhair) mix. Bobtail cats are not that unusual in the cat population.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a domestic longhair to me - cats aren't like dogs, most cats aren't any breed at all, they are direct descendents of wild cats with little or no interference by humans selectively breeding them. Most cats aren't any breed at all except being 100% natural cat.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

check up "Manx cat" / "Cymric" and "Japanese Bobtail" on google or wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_(cat)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_bobtail

If the unknown father belonged to one of these breeds it would explain the stumpy tails.

Breeding manx cats belongs into the hands of an experienced breeder as mating one manx cat with another will lead to semi-lethal and kittens are usually spontaneously aborted before birth.

Christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samlovesba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not even joking in this one, but if you look at the Manx pictures on the wiki site, the Black and White looks EXACTLY like BA's brother!! haha, that is so cool!

Actually here's the picture

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

Hi,

check up "Manx cat" / "Cymric" and "Japanese Bobtail" on google or wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_(cat)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_bobtail

If the unknown father belonged to one of these breeds it would explain the stumpy tails.

Breeding manx cats belongs into the hands of an experienced breeder as mating one manx cat with another will lead to semi-lethal and kittens are usually spontaneously aborted before birth.

Christine
Manx cats are a fairly uncommon breed originating in a particular area and they have a breed standard which goes far beyond not having a tail, and they need a pedigree to be registered as Manx. Not all tail-less cats are Manx. Any moggy can be born tail-less or with a short tail because the tail-less gene is not restricted to Manx cats, or bobtail cats (just as the colourpoint gene is not restricted to Siamese it can occur in any Moggy by chance) - being tail-less or short-tailed does not in any way mean they are Manx or have Manx ancestry (or Japanese Bobtail), Manx are actually a fairly rare breed and it's a million to one against any tail-less or short-tailed cat having Manx in their ancestry unless they are part of a Manx (or same goes for Japanese Bobtail) breeding programme.

Tail-less/short-tailed turns up regularly in domestics as a result of a fairly common genetic mutation - it doesn't mean they are "part" any breed, or have any particular ancestry.