TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Blue Buffalo is lookin' good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blue Buffalo is lookin' good.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
After reading many, many threads about how to choose a good quality canned food, I went to PetSmart last night. It's a good thing I have 20/20 vision because I spent nearly an hour reading the ingredients list on nearly every can of adult can food in the store! I purchased a few different brands, including Authority, Blue Buffalo, and Nutro.

Based on ingredients alone, Blue Buffalo is looking pretty darn good.

Blue Spa Select: Turkey & Chicken Entree
Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Broccoli, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Salt, Flaxseed, Cranberries, Blueberries, Taurine, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Vitamins [Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement], Minerals [Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate]

Blue Healthy Gourmet: Flaked Chicken Entree
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Water, Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Ground Brown Rice, Spinach, Flaxseed, Sodium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide], Salt, Vitamins [Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement], Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine

For our resident nutrition experts, does all that sound good? Is there anything in either of those that I should be concerned about?
post #2 of 14
I feed Blue Buffalo dry food, and I can recommend it as a brand. As for the wet food, the only one I've tried is the Savory Salmon. My cat ate it reasonably well, but it has carrot pieces in it, which she didn't like.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjhest View Post
After reading many, many threads about how to choose a good quality canned food, I went to PetSmart last night. It's a good thing I have 20/20 vision because I spent nearly an hour reading the ingredients list on nearly every can of adult can food in the store! I purchased a few different brands, including Authority, Blue Buffalo, and Nutro.

Based on ingredients alone, Blue Buffalo is looking pretty darn good.

Blue Spa Select: Turkey & Chicken Entree
Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Broccoli, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Salt, Flaxseed, Cranberries, Blueberries, Taurine, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Vitamins [Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement], Minerals [Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate]

Blue Healthy Gourmet: Flaked Chicken Entree
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Waterbroth is second why more water without flavor , Dried Egg Whites, Potato StarchWhy with grains , Ground Brown Rice, Spinach, Flaxseed, Sodium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide], Salt, Vitamins [Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement], Choline Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine

For our resident nutrition experts, does all that sound good? Is there anything in either of those that I should be concerned about?
Veggies are fine but this has LOADS
post #4 of 14
I finally found a 1/2 decent wet food here - it has 70% meat? Is that quite good Sharky? It's common for sachets here to only have 20-30% meat.

(Sorry to tack on to your thread! )
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I finally found a 1/2 decent wet food here - it has 70% meat? Is that quite good Sharky? It's common for sachets here to only have 20-30% meat.

(Sorry to tack on to your thread! )
70% is good but i ask what is the other 30%
post #6 of 14
The nice thing about the blue buffalo is that my cats seem to actually like it

I have had the same experience as many here in that my cats simply will not eat many of the better brands. So far, they like all the varieties of wet blue buffalo, a couple of merrick's and two flavors of natural balance...otherwise they are looking for friskies or fancy feast
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
70% is good but i ask what is the other 30%
71 % chicken mince or beef mince (2 flavours)
minerals
derivatives of vegetable origin
various sugars

It's called Natures Menu - the cats love it!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
My cats loved the Blue Buffalo I gave them last night!

I've had them on a strictly dry diet, so any canned food is a treat. They were literally falling all over each other trying to get to their bowls, once they heard the can open.

Right now I'm just giving them wet in the evening until the dry runs out. Then I will switch to wet in the morning as well.
post #9 of 14
I think Blue Buffalo and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul (what I feed) are very similar, except it seems BB is more expensive I tried the dry and my cats wouldn't touch it! none of them, it was like mass mutiny I think I had a few sample cans of the wet and they were not all that thrilled with it either But all in all, I personally think BB is a better than mid-grade premium food, but I think you can get better for the same price. However, it's really up to the cats, isn't it?

If anyone has a Pets Supplies Plus in their area, I really urge you to check it out, they have a much wider selection of premiums (for both cats and dogs)than either Petco or Petsmart, that's where I get my Chicken Soup too, neither of the big box stores carry it
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
I noticed that Blue Buffalo is very pricey. I only bought 4 cans of it. I also bought several cans of Authority and a few cans of Nutro. Maybe they will like the cheapest one!
post #11 of 14
Because of Charlie's UTI, I stick to the Wellness, Natural Balance, Iams, Max Cat, Avoderm, and Blue Spa now. The cheapest is the Iams & Max Cat, so where I save some on them, I have it for the others. These are all the canned foods. They wind up with a different one every other day.

I have to feed Royal Canin for Urinary in the dry. I know my food bill will be a bit more now that we have Jack, but may wind up with a few more in the Max Cat and Iams to counter the increase.

So far on this diet, Charlie has not had a UTI in almost 2 yrs (he'll be 3 yrs in September).
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
71 % chicken mince or beef mince (2 flavours)
minerals
derivatives of vegetable origin
various sugars

It's called Natures Menu - the cats love it!
Well the cats still love it but it doesn't love Fluffy
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Veggies are fine but this has LOADS
Just a comment on the veggies... I fed my kitty a holistic brand canned food that had similiar amounts of veggies in it, and he had horrible diarrhea from it. Switched to a non-holistic, with very little veggie/fruit and it wasn't an issue.

Although veggies are good for humans, they are not so good for the cat who is a carnivoire.... So just be watchful on any digestive issues
post #14 of 14
I fed my cats Blue Buffalo wet once and it stunk so bad I almost got sick. I usually have a strong stomach but it smelled awful - like a dirty diaper.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Blue Buffalo is lookin' good.