Any runners in the house?

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I am not a runner. I pretty much live a sedentary lifestyle. The only way I get any activity is by putting on my gym clothes and going for a walk or going to the gym.

I have been going to the gym and walking briskly (3.5-4.0 mph) on the treadmill for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week.

I'm trying to add running but I swear, I can only run for 2 minutes at a time!!

How long will it take me to get my stamina up?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You have to work up to it gradually. How fast are you going when you're running? Two minutes at time is really not bad, especially if you kick the pace up too much.

I started running about a year and a half ago in order to be on a team for a long-distance relay. I had no idea how to train and thought the relay was going to do me in for sure. A year ago my part of the relay covered a total of 10.2 miles, divided into three legs of 3.1, 3.1, and 4 miles. I think I walked at least half of it, sprinting about 1/10 of a mile, walking 1/10 of a mile. It took me a long time to figure out how to pace myself so I could keep running longer.

This year's relay was last Friday and Saturday. My part was 21.2 miles total, with legs of 6.6, 7.5, and 7.1 miles. I actually did much better than I expected.

The difference was in the training. I run 3 days a week, with another type of workout every other day and one rest day a week. Six months before the race I started out doing just one mile, alternating running and walking. Once I got to the point that I was running at least half the distance I added another half mile or mile. Most of the time I stayed at the new distance for 2-3 weeks before increasing it again.

The last three weeks before the relay I was running 4 or 5 days a week, 5 miles one day and 7 miles the next. I definitely couldn't have done that a year ago.

My niece, who is a Marine, told me that the way to increase stamina is to do a distance run one day and sprints the next. Maybe I'll try that next year.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those who can run are lucky. If I were to even try running across my yard I'd be lucky if I didn't fall flat on my face the moment I stopped.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooo, oo, me me! When I was a kid, I HATED, nay LOATHED running. The happiest day of my high school career was the day after the last mile run my senior year - because I would never have to run again.

Then a few years ago, out of the blue I was bitten by the running bug. The key was to go slow. Yes, slow. People think when they run, they have to go as fast as they possibly can. Nope
Speed can come later.

Check out the c25k running program. It's what got me started. You mix a little bit of running in with more walking, and slowly increase the running you do until you can run a 5k or 30 minutes straight (depending on whether you do the program for distance or time).

For the running portion of the program, bump the treadmill speed up only to the point where you switch from walking briskly to running slowly. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you feel you need to.

Believe me, this program totally works. I've seen dozens of people do it who've gone on to become regular runners, myself included.

Best of luck!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also consider distance on a running/walking program. Don't increase your distance more than 10%/week.

I don't run but I do notice a difference of walking on a treadmill vs walking outside for time purposes when the distance is the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! I read the Couch-to-5K Running Plan and it has you running for one minute at a time, not two. That makes me feel better about the fact that two minutes at a time was KILLING me!

I'm going to print the chart and follow the running plan. It sounds like a good one to me.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

The key was to go slow. Yes, slow. People think when they run, they have to go as fast as they possibly can. Nope
Speed can come later.
That's my problem---or one of them
. It took me forever to figure out how to run slower. I still start out too fast and usually don't realize it until I start dying at the end of a quarter mile. One of these days I may learn how to pace myself from the beginning.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I am the same, I hate running. One time I went to the gym with my boyfriend, and I was too embarassed to reveal how terrible I am at running, so even though I was too tired, I kept on running for 20 minutes straight!!! And that was my first time ever running or doing any kind of physical exersise since probably middle school I was in terrible shape- sooo what happened was- I got dizzy, went to the bathroom and threw up, I thought I was going to die....lol even bigger embarassment. Anyway what I do now, is I use the elliptical. It actually burns calories fairly quick and you don't have to worry about getting too tired too quickly...I usually stay on the elliptical for about 30-40 minutes andI burn about 500-600 calories! It's pretty awesome..

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ut0pia, that made me laugh! i can't believe you threw up, and i can't believe you were able to push yourself to run for 20 minutes. good grief! i mean seriously, 2 minutes just about kills me. i'm such a wuss.

i haven't tried the elliptical yet. it looks like quite a work out, i see other people sweatin' their butts off on those things. when i get my stamina up a bit i might try it.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anjhest

Thanks for the tips! I read the Couch-to-5K Running Plan and it has you running for one minute at a time, not two. That makes me feel better about the fact that two minutes at a time was KILLING me!

I'm going to print the chart and follow the running plan. It sounds like a good one to me.
Yes, this is awesome. I haven't made it all the way up yet, but my fiance has. He loves running.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, the next day when I was by myself, I couldn't keep going for longer than 2-3 minutes either
It's kind of funny to me too when I think back

I actually find the elliptical wayyy easier than running...The first levels are probably not too much different than walking, maybe just slightly more intense..

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this thread up to check on whether there has been any progress. Anjhest is the program you found working for you? I've decided to try to start running myself. I just figured out that if I run in my neighborhood for 30 minutes before my shower for the day, I will save so much time rather than going to the gym like I do now. So my plan is to run/walk for 30 minutes Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Hopefully I will be able to extend the time and learn how to run for longer periods of time. I am doing this program: http://running.about.com/od/getstart...ht/runwalk.htm
Today was my first day! I ran for about 3-4 minutes then I went to a brisk walk for another 20. I am so proud of myself that I took the first step lol I am usually very shy to run in my neighborhood because I am afraid of running into a neighbor..

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do like this program. It gives me a great workout without me feeling like I'm just killing myself.

I bought new shoes this weekend because I've been getting bad shin splints. I went running again today and it felt like there were knives in my shins. I got through the workout but I looked up some exercises to strengthen the muscles around my shins. I think that muscle weakness may be a contributor.

I'm pointing my toes as we speak.

I also haven't been diligent about stretching. After the pain I had on the treadmill today, I am spending a full 5 minutes stretching before and after each workout.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stretching is really good for you, so its awesome you're spending the 5 minutes stretching..I plan to add on some stretching work out on Sundays and Wednesdays to make my fitness complete
It will be a yoga session so it will serve for both stretching and muscle work out....I am really freaking out about staying fit right now because summer is soo close and I was just trying on some of my summer clothes and realized I need to flatten my tummy a bit.
Anyway, about your shins I think it could be that you are stepping on your toes first...That happens to me all the time when I'm on a treadmill and i'm trying to make sure I keep up with it...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Anyway, about your shins I think it could be that you are stepping on your toes first...That happens to me all the time when I'm on a treadmill and i'm trying to make sure I keep up with it...
If one isn't walking normally it's not something that can just be corrected by thinking about how you are stepping. It suggest a gait problem - several things can cause this: uneven leg length, SI joint issues, back problems, nerve damage, etc. One of the common types of abnormal gait is called drop foot - the front of the foot comes down first and to compensate the thighs are raised higher in stepping.
Whatever the cause, it should be assessed by a doctor as there may be some things that can help. It's important to make sure you aren't injuring yourself more trying to force into a run without proper support.

And if anyone wonders why I know this - I do have a very abnormal gait due to back and SI joint arthritis.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking about how it can happen through the use of a treadmill. It happens to me only when I'm on the treadmill, because I feel like if I step toes first I will outrun it quicker lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I was talking about how it can happen through the use of a treadmill. It happens to me only when I'm on the treadmill, because I feel like if I step toes first I will outrun it quicker lol
Ah, treadmills and I don't mix, so I can't remember how I walk on them... I remember how I fell off one though!

I walk on the front of my foot, when I don't have shoes on I don't even touch my heel to the ground at all when walking. Not quite to the degree of foot drop but it makes it difficult for me to run for any length of time (without tripping and falling on my face).

It's still a good suggestion, though. If you (or anyone else reading) is passed their mid twenties there's almost a certainty that there is some back problems. This can greatly affect everything else, and sometimes something as simple as some orthopedic inserts (prescription ones) for shoes can fix gait problems.