Wow, bad day already.... whine re chronic pain

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy smokes.... I hurt something fierce today.... It's awful.

The weather is changing.... we were at -15 to -20.....and today is supposed to be -2.....tomorrow in the +. The pressure is dropping and humidity increasing.

YUCK.

My dr refuses to give me stronger painkillers, and what I'm on I've grown tolerant to....so the recommended dosage does nothing for me.

Even my hottub is NOT helping today..... That is a very bad sign.

It doesn't help that I only got bout 3hrs sleep last night.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Feel free to whine with me.... I know there's a lot of weather oriented chronic pain sufferers here.... go ahead and whine...

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My biggest whine is the length and bitterness of this winter. I HATE IT!!! I do experience sore legs when the weather is changing. I have other health issues as well, but they're under control. I am sick of whining about it too, as it doesn't do anything about the situation. I am not dying, and I tell myself that alot and am grateful for still breathing.

There are a lot of stressful things going on in my personal life right now that don't help any situation. My son just relapsed with his drug addiction so I am super upset. I am off to Mexico in a couple days, how am I suppposed to enjoy myself when all I am going to do is worry that my son (in Grandpa''s care) might try to blindside us again??? Gawd, he makes me so mad!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

My biggest whine is the length and bitterness of this winter. I HATE IT!!! I do experience sore legs when the weather is changing. I have other health issues as well, but they're under control. I am sick of whining about it too, as it doesn't do anything about the situation. I am not dying, and I tell myself that alot and am grateful for still breathing.
very true... I try not to whine, because it really does not do anything. Although it does help me vent my frustrations over my situation. Kinda like screaming into a pillow you know.

There are a lot of stressful things going on in my personal life right now that don't help any situation. My son just relapsed with his drug addiction so I am super upset. I am off to Mexico in a couple days, how am I suppposed to enjoy myself when all I am going to do is worry that my son (in Grandpa''s care) might try to blindside us again??? Gawd, he makes me so mad!
You are definately going through alot right now.

I really hope you are able to enjoy your trip a little bit. Honestly, worrying in this situation is the same as whining. It really doesn't accomplish anything aside from wrecking your trip. There's absolutely nothing you can do while you're away.....try to remember that.

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh my knees are killing me I can barely get down the stairs at campus today. And sitting, pft.. no thank you that requires bending them ..ack.

One of these days I'll be able to afford to see a doc to try to fix the issue till then on with living with it. *shrug*

Hope everyone else feels better today

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the cold, which is why I would never willingly move north.

I hear you about the problems with pain meds. I must be very tolerant to them or a very poor metabolizer because I have nothing that can really help with the pain - I've felt pain on morphine... and was also rather clear headed/lucid for coming out of anesthesia less than 5 minutes earlier. I have three different pain meds in the medicine cabinet and none of them do anything, aside from the percocets which make me vomit.
So I don't even bother trying them anymore.

NSAIDs, acetaminophen(metabolizes differently then narcotic pain meds do), and icing the affected joint is all I'm left with for now.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get terrible headaches when the weather is changing. It all centers around the problems I have in my neck. My Dr gives me muscle relaxers and vicoden on the really bad days. Sometimes they don't help much either. The older I get the worse my neck gets.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been relatively nice here lately, which is good because my RA took me totally off painkillers and plaquenil. She thinks I'm a drug seeker.
I couldn't sleep because of my hip last night, but that's because I rode horses, and I'll be darned if I'm gonna let that stuff stop my life!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hear you about the problems with pain meds. I must be very tolerant to them or a very poor metabolizer because I have nothing that can really help with the pain - I've felt pain on morphine... and was also rather clear headed/lucid for coming out of anesthesia less than 5 minutes earlier. I have three different pain meds in the medicine cabinet and none of them do anything, aside from the percocets which make me vomit.
So I don't even bother trying them anymore.

NSAIDs, acetaminophen(metabolizes differently then narcotic pain meds do),and icing the affected joint is all I'm left with for now.
I've been prescribed - Vicodin, Percocet, Percodan, Oxycontin and yes, morphine is a joke for me too. This past year my gastroenterologist won't allow me to take any pain meds, even asprin. That's ok with me since none of it seems to help anyway. Nothing left to do except tough it up, wince, bite my lip and use lots of ice packs.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Maybe you should be checked to see if you metablize these drugs. If you don't it can make potential overdose and side effect more likely.

Originally Posted by kluchetta

It's been relatively nice here lately, which is good because my RA took me totally off painkillers and plaquenil. She thinks I'm a drug seeker.
Because everyone seeking recreational drugs goes for plaquenil?

Hair loss, liver damage, immunosurpression, and eye damage, oh boy! That makes it the most fun drug ever.
Sorry, I get a bit annoyed at stupid people in the medical profession. I suggest you ditch this person and find someone with an actual brain - and that knows how to use it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fibromyalgia. It was -39 last thursday it was +4 by Saturday. The whole winter is has been from one extreme to another. I rarely take pain med because I have 3 kids to care for. Were we live, I have to drive them to and from school. My 5 year old has been sick on and off since January. She has been hanging on me. I am in agony today.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Do you, and anyone else reading, have an electric blanket? It won't solve anything, but they sure to feel nice when it's chilly out.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

^Maybe you should be checked to see if you metablize these drugs. If you don't it can make potential overdose and side effect more likely.
I don't have to worry with overdose and had metabolized the drugs fine. I've taken them for so many years that my system got too use to them. I've since gotten a stomach ulcer and colitis and not allowed to have any drugs. I've been drug free for a year except for nicotine but I'm in the process of quitting

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

try marijuana. relieves the pain, makes you feel happy, and increases your appetite.
Great idea! You have any you could spare?

Here's another debatable issue: Should they legalize it?
sorry

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the fibromyalgia sufferers, if you haven't tried Rhodiola, please do. My counselor suffers from fibromyalgia and while she hasn't seen a naturopathic doctor for it, she's worked with the knowledge base of the owner of the health food shop. Rhodiola at like 2x the recommended on the bottle dose has been helping her quite a bit. Of course, they know so little about the pathology of it, so it may help some and not others. But it's safe, in general helps boost memory, so it's worth a try.

For the rest of you, my heart goes out to you all! My hubby suffers from a rare brain disease that is essentially (so far) not treatable. He has not had one minute of pain free time for over two years now. It has completely altered our lives. But as an example of how much pain this man can tolerate now, a year ago Thanksgiving he fell on ice and broke his foot and severely sprained his ankle. He "thought he might have hurt himself." It was so purple it was scary, and it blew up to three times it size. A toe was CLEARLY broken. He "just popped it back into place." He did let me alternate ice and heat on it that evening. He limped on it for a day before he finally agreed to go to the emergency room. That was nothing compared to these pain spells that bring him to his knees about 8 times a day.

I know this is a totally different pain than most of you experience, and though pressure systems can affect it, it isn't really affected by the weather. It has made me so much more aware of the problems people can have with the quality of their lives from pain and how difficult it can be to find Doctors that care more about you than about the FDA/DEA. I know there ARE such things as drug seekers out there, and it can be difficult for docs to tell the difference - but PAIN IS DEBILITATING! As to your doctors... all I can say is, keep looking. Hopefully you'll find someone that cares.

Relief vibes to you all!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

^Do you, and anyone else reading, have an electric blanket? It won't solve anything, but they sure to feel nice when it's chilly out.
I love my electric blanket. I warm my bed every night for about an hour before I crawl in. That and my bathtub are my best buddies. I have been annoy Dh to buy me a hot tub. My neighbour allows me to use theirs, but it is five houses down. They have 5 kids it just doesn't work very well.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

It has made me so much more aware of the problems people can have with the quality of their lives from pain and how difficult it can be to find Doctors that care more about you than about the FDA/DEA. I know there ARE such things as drug seekers out there, and it can be difficult for docs to tell the difference - but PAIN IS DEBILITATING! As to your doctors... all I can say is, keep looking. Hopefully you'll find someone that cares.
I am so sorry to hear that your husband has to go through that every single day. We should all be thankful if we do have respite from dealing with it, many don't have such luck.

As for doctors, I think the biggest problem is that so many of them have a heavy patient load (they're own fault). This means they spend so little time with most of us that they don't know enough to judge our character - we're just a name and medical file. It's also easier for a doctor to say the person is a drug seeker or it's "all in their head" than dedicating more time. Time is money, and they can get more out of 2-5 patients than they can one in the same amount of time.

mbjerkness - You have nice neighbors.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a hot tub! But my luck I'd get in then not be able to get out and end up cooking myself

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

try marijuana. relieves the pain, makes you feel happy, and increases your appetite.
Actually I did, when I first started having chronic pain.

It did nothing for the pain, and frankly I don't need a larger appetite LOL.

But I know for some people, it does help dramtically. I'm just not one of those people.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

For the rest of you, my heart goes out to you all! My hubby suffers from a rare brain disease that is essentially (so far) not treatable. He has not had one minute of pain free time for over two years now. ........

That was nothing compared to these pain spells that bring him to his knees about 8 times a day.

Laurie
I'm sorry your husband has to go through this..... that's just awful. But I want to thank you for posting. It helps for me knowing that it could be worse (then I don't do the poor me pity thing). I wish noone had to suffer like your husband does. I can not even imagine how my life would be if I had 8 knee dropping spells a day. I'm quite thankful, that I only get that bad 2-3 times a week (less when the weather is stable)

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I love my electric blanket. I warm my bed every night for about an hour before I crawl in. That and my bathtub are my best buddies. I have been annoy Dh to buy me a hot tub. My neighbour allows me to use theirs, but it is five houses down. They have 5 kids it just doesn't work very well.
If you were close, you'd be welcome to use mine too

As for doctors, I think the biggest problem is that so many of them have a heavy patient load (they're own fault). This means they spend so little time with most of us that they don't know enough to judge our character - we're just a name and medical file. It's also easier for a doctor to say the person is a drug seeker or it's "all in their head" than dedicating more time. Time is money, and they can get more out of 2-5 patients than they can one in the same amount of time.
I think you hit it right on.

Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I wish I had a hot tub! But my luck I'd get in then not be able to get out and end up cooking myself
LOL. That's why most tubs shut off after 20mins.... to remind you to get out. I'm glad mine does because there has been times I've stayed in too long, and felt awful getting out...(dizzy, nauseous).

It helps too that we only run ours at 100F....most people run them 102-104F.