Where is TOTW made?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Instead of emailing the company, I figured someone here would likely know.

On the Taste of the Wild website, I can't find a larger company name (as in Champion, re: Orijen and Acana) or anywhere stating where the food is manufactured. Anyone know more about the company that makes it? I believe they also make Chicken Soup food...

I've been thinking of switching the girls to this food, since it is a bit cheaper than Orijen and has sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, which Sharky says is better! With my recent paranoia about the Australian Orijen recall (they are fine, I'm just watching their every move), I'm figuring this might be a good time to make the transition.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the bag: Taste of the Wild Pet Foods Meta, Missouri.

Trademarks of Schell and Kampeter Inc. aka Diamond Pet Foods

From what I can see, they have 3 manufacturing plants all in the US.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah i was gonna say diamond pet foods...

this is dog info, it's from the whole dog journal recommended foods list. i would guess cat & dog would be made in the same place?

Diamond Pet Products ~ Meta, MO
NOTE: All of Diamond Pet dry dog foods are made at Lathrop, CA - Meta, MO - Gaston, SC
• Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
• Premium Edge
• Professional Pet Food
• Taste of the Wild

I agree the price of it is quite reasonable, mine wouldn't eat it though, buggers.. so i use chicken soup lol

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Apparently, suppliers don't have to include certain ingredients on their labels if their supplier added it prior to them getting it. That means that the fish meal can be preserved with ethoxyquin by the supplier.

I know this because Natural Balance does the same thing and they told me their suppliers add ethoxyquin to their fish meal to prevent decay while in transport. They said that they don't add ethoxyquin themselves and the heat used to process the food dissipates the preservative. TOTW basically said the same thing to my friend, who was feeding their food.

Whether or not it really dissipates is really questionable - if that were the case, I'm not sure why the FDA would set a limit on the allowable amount.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

Apparently, suppliers don't have to include certain ingredients on their labels if their supplier added it prior to them getting it. That means that the fish meal can be preserved with ethoxyquin by the supplier.

I know this because Natural Balance does the same thing and they told me their suppliers add ethoxyquin to their fish meal to prevent decay while in transport. They said that they don't add ethoxyquin themselves and the heat used to process the food dissipates the preservative. TOTW basically said the same thing to my friend, who was feeding their food.

Whether or not it really dissipates is really questionable - if that were the case, I'm not sure why the FDA would set a limit on the allowable amount.
Oh good, something new to worry about.

I just emailed Diamond to ask about ethoxyquin, so I'll see if they respond. Meanwhile, I did find this dog food web site http://dogfoods.angelfire.com/, which states:

TotW is manufactured by the Diamond company, like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and Premium Edge. This is their 'top of the line' food. There are three formulas, each of which are grain-free, and have several high quality meats in them. According to the company, they make their own fish meal from fresh fish that is kept stored at 35 degrees, so you can be assured that it does not contain ethoxyquin. I truly feel this is one of the best foods available right now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ethoxquin is added to ALL fish not coming from USA waters( and do you want fish from polluted US waters?? ... It is added on the ship so fresh does not = free of it ... Only Wellness to my knowledge has avoided that by using a approved substitute natural preservative

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Oh good, something new to worry about.

I just emailed Diamond to ask about ethoxyquin, so I'll see if they respond. Meanwhile, I did find this dog food web site http://dogfoods.angelfire.com/, which states:
i do know this is written on the dog food review site..

"As of today, the manufacturer is guaranteeing the use of ethoxyquin-free meat and fish sources in their foods and a statement to that effect has been placed on the front page of their website.

We therefore withdraw the comment above about ethoxyquin being present in this food (although it would apply to foods in the new formulas manufactured before this date)."

anyways, i have CS here in both dog, puppy & cat formulas it's going over well, also as i said in my other post the whole dog journal recommends their brand -diamond- and they choose only foods that use no chemical preservatives.

also found this on their site in reference to where the CS foods are made

"WHERE ARE THE CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE PET LOVER'S SOUL FOODS MADE?
Diamond Pet Foods owns its own manufacturing facilities. The Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul foods are made in all three of these plants, all of which are located in the United States. Our original plant and home of Diamond Pet Foods headquarters is located in central Missouri. The other two plants are located in northern California and South Carolina. No matter where you live, you will be purchasing food made in one of these three plants."

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Ethoxquin is added to ALL fish not coming from USA waters( and do you want fish from polluted US waters?? ... It is added on the ship so fresh does not = free of it ... Only Wellness to my knowledge has avoided that by using a approved substitute natural preservative
Thanks, Sharky. So, then, is it in virtually every food we give our cats? There are vastly different opinions that I"ve been able to find on the internet, but it sounds like no recent research of findings since 1997 http://www.petfoodindustry.com/ViewA....aspx?id=12892

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the entire response I got from Diamond, but in part it was stated that the preseveration systems used by their vendors is prioritory.

They go on to say that they cook at 240 degrees, which destroys antioxidants that are used in ingredients that they purchase, and that they use only natural mixed tropicals (A&E). Further, when it's used as an antioxidant, it begins to oxidize as soon as it's added, and heat and moisture expidate the oxidation.

Does anyone know if this is scientifically true? I admit to not having much trust in the FDA these days.

If it's okay to post the entire response here, I'll be glad to do that.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pet food companies who use fish meal transported by sea must have ethoxyquin used to prevent decay. Some pet food companies choose not to go this route and apply for a permit from the Coast Guard to have it brought in by alternative means. So yes, pet food companies do indeed have a choice in this matter and some do completely avoid ethoxyquin. Wellness and Eagle Pack are two examples. I believe Fromm does not use ethoxyquin at all either.

I honestly think that if ethoxyquin dissipates under heat and processing like some of the companies claim, then the FDA would not have ordered the max. allowable amount to be cut in half. Some of the companies who are completely ethoxyquin-free don't believe that it dissipates completely either.

Although this latter part is a very well-educated guess, the first part about obtaining permit is fact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all who gave me information on the OP. I picked up a small bag today. I was planning on doing a half-and-half deal with Orijen, but when I picked up a bag of Orijen today it went up another $3 in price, which means it cost me $60 including tax. Might be time to make a complete transition.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Pet food companies who use fish meal transported by sea must have ethoxyquin used to prevent decay. Some pet food companies choose not to go this route and apply for a permit from the Coast Guard to have it brought in by alternative means. So yes, pet food companies do indeed have a choice in this matter and some do completely avoid ethoxyquin. Wellness and Eagle Pack are two examples. I believe Fromm does not use ethoxyquin at all either.

I honestly think that if ethoxyquin dissipates under heat and processing like some of the companies claim, then the FDA would not have ordered the max. allowable amount to be cut in half. Some of the companies who are completely ethoxyquin-free don't believe that it dissipates completely either.

Although this latter part is a very well-educated guess, the first part about obtaining permit is fact.
Just an FYI Wellness and Eagle pack are owned by the same company and thus makes sence they use the same process ... DO you have info on the companies with the permits??

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

DO you have info on the companies with the permits??
Unfortunately, no. I wish I had a list of them, but I think we can only know for sure by e-mailing and asking them if their suppliers use ethoxyquin. One company I e-mailed didn't really answer that question either -- the rep just said they "don't add any into their foods". As you know, adding ethoxyquin in their facilities and using products that already contain it are two different things. It definitely gets tricky.

Although...I've been told that usually, if a company lists a product as "ethoxyquin-free" on their label or site, then that means their suppliers don't use it. But I don't know how true that is.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From the Eagle Pack website:

Anchovy and Sardine Meals (low ash / low magnesium)
The meals used in Eagle Pack formulas are harvested from pure waters and is naturally preserved. We buy a special premium grade that is cooked at moderate temperatures. Regular meals are cooked to almost burning temperatures, which greatly reduces nutrient values. Our darker fleshed fish are high in Omega 3 fatty acids, so beneficial to coat and skin health and the best DHA source. “Whitefish” (not used in Eagle Pack formulas), is a generic name for a number of species of white fish used in some brands. The species will vary bag-to-bag, formula-to-formula. They have minimal Omega 3 fatty acid levels. The nice white meat from whitefish go to the fish counter at your super market. The boney skeleton and head that's left goes to other pet food plants. Bone contributes to high ash levels. We use the meat from the Anchovy and Sardine, so ash amount is low. Most fish meals are preserved with ethoxyquin; our meal is preserved naturally. (DOT and CG permits on file)

The Wellness site only said the fish is naturally preserved, but did not mention the permits.

Hope this helps.

TOTW website says nothing about their fish sources being 'naturally preserved'. DogFoodAnalysis says they asked TOTW about ethoxyquin but didn't get a reply from the company.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

TOTW website says nothing about their fish sources being 'naturally preserved'. DogFoodAnalysis says they asked TOTW about ethoxyquin but didn't get a reply from the company.
The reply I got from them TOTW company was round about. What their vendors use as presevatives is "propriatery." But they then went on to tell me about the FDA limit for ethoxyquin, that they (TOTW) cook at high temperatures and only add natural perservatives, etc. So my take is that their fish is purchased from vendors who do use ethoxyquin.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

The reply I got from them TOTW company was round about. What their vendors use as presevatives is "propriatery." But they then went on to tell me about the FDA limit for ethoxyquin, that they (TOTW) cook at high temperatures and only add natural perservatives, etc. So my take is that their fish is purchased from vendors who do use ethoxyquin.
Yes, my friend got the same kind of reply from them. They did not answer the question, but instead, wrote that ethoxyquin is dissipated when food gets heated/processed. I would personally take that as a sign.

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, my friend got the same kind of reply from them. They did not answer the question, but instead, wrote that ethoxyquin is dissipated when food gets heated/processed. I would personally take that as a sign.
A sign of what? Is TOTW good or not good to feed our cats?!?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Poppy0109

A sign of what? Is TOTW good or not good to feed our cats?!?
That they do have ethoxyquin in their food.

Whether it's good to feed our cats I guess depends on how you feel about that. I think I'm going to stop based on that and also because Cindy was having some allergy issues. I don't know if the allergy came from TOTW or the increased amount of Nutro I had been giving her, as I started both at roughly the same time.