My 5 year old is sick

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Raina to the Doctor today. She has had one cold after another, since the middle of January. She is well for 5-7 days and sick again. Fever, cough, runny nose, she is just not well. She is really pale. He checked from head to toe. He could find no sign of infection. He said there are so many virus going around. Most likely she is just catching one after another. her body isn't getting a chance to recover, before another starts. He has seen several cases like this recently. The kids ended up with pneumonia. He put her on Biaxin incase there is a sinus infection, or something brewing. She has been running a temperature of 101-102. He said to watch her carefully. if her temperature goes any higher. or she gets sicker to bring to the ER.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he run a test for herpes?
Also - please consider giving her an L-Lysine supplement. You can buy it at any pharmacy, crush the pill and add to her wet food. If she doesn't eat wet, the vets office should have a paste available...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Umm, I think she's talking about her 5 year old human child.

Healing for Raina and calming for you, mbjerkness.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I hope she feels better soon! My son recently had Influenza B, so I know it is tough having a sick kid. I wouldn't consider a 101-102 to be very high, though. Greyson's temp was upwards of 104 at some points, but I don't even consider going to the ER until it is in the mid 104+ range. Even at 101-102 I don't medicate unless there is pain involved (my son had horrible headaches b/c of the flu, otherwise he would have been left to battle it out) until it reaches at least 103+. The fever is there for a reason, and needs to be left alone so it can do its job and get rid of whatever she is fighting.

My friend that I've known since preschool is a Pharmacist and I asked her if she would suggest anything to give him since the meds (phenergan with codeine) wasn't working, and she told me to get him Delsym which is over the counter.

Good luck, though. I hope this clears up soon and she starts to feel better!!

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yikes! That happened to me my first year of college. Every time I got over one virus/flu, I got hit with another. I was missing classes constantly and had to come home all the time.

Someone finally suggested I have my tonsils taken out and that was the miracle cure. I didn't get a cold for almost 5 years!

Have her doctors discussed that option?

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she feels better! the DR told us there is a few different vioruses floating around right now, my kids have each caught them one after another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Did he run a test for herpes?
Also - please consider giving her an L-Lysine supplement. You can buy it at any pharmacy, crush the pill and add to her wet food. If she doesn't eat wet, the vets office should have a paste available...
It is my human child
. The reason the doctor doesn't want her to run a fever above 102 is she starts babbling then has a seizure. This is going to sound like am a horrible Mother, She won't get off of me. She has never been a clingy child. I can hardly go to the bathroom without her. Right now she is having a little sleep so I get a little break. She is basically glued to me.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

It is my human child
. The reason the doctor doesn't want her to run a fever above 102 is she starts babbling then has a seizure. This is going to sound like am a horrible Mother, She won't get off of me. She has never been a clingy child. I can hardly go to the bathroom without her. Right now she is having a little sleep so I get a little break. She is basically glued to me.
All my kids are like that when they are sick!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said she's 5. Is she in school for the first time? Because when my kids started school- it was NOT fun. One cold after the other. And, they're going to give each other everything under the sun b/c if she's anything like my kids- all they did at school at the end of the day is give each other hugs

On a more serious note, my youngest wound up with mono when she was in
2nd grade. I asked her later if they were "sharing" things at lunch. She said "oh yeah mom- we like to share ALL of our food". SIGH. Needless to say, the teacher had a long talk with the class about sharing drinks and other food that you've already taken a bite out of right after my dtr came down with mono.

Cheryl

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Though carolinalima was a bit off on the species, checking for herpes isn't a bad idea. There's 8 different types that affect humans. "mono" or Epstein-Barr is type 4, cold sores come from type 1, chicken pox/shingles is type 3, 6 causes rash and high fever in children, 7 is similar to 6 and also can be commonly found in children.

I have a person on another forum to blame for this info sticking in my head - her mother had/has type 5 CMV and she worried about her constant exposure to it, thus was discussing types of herpes virus. Most people have been infected or exposed to 6, 7, 3, and 1, so it's something interesting to think about.

In any case, if blood tests haven't been done it might be time for a few.

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope your daughter starts feeling better and her immune system gets stronger so she can fight off those bugs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

It is my human child
I hope she feels better!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her cough is terrible, She kept me awake most of the night. No fever this morning. She seems to be in better spirits today. She ate a little bit of toast. I found out from her teacher, another little boy in her class was the same way, he developed pneumonia. It is probably the same kid the doctor was talking about. We live in a very small town.
My 18 year old daughter gave, Raina her Nintendo DS and a few suitable games to play.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's starting to recover a little bit.
Is she suppose to go back to the doctor? More until she's completely well and big
for you!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you letting her sleep propped up or laying flat/one pillow? When I get bronchitis/respiratory infections I've found that propping myself up helps me sleep some. Even if that means she has to sleep in a recliner or with several pillows it's worth a try.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Are you letting her sleep propped up or laying flat/one pillow? When I get bronchitis/respiratory infections I've found that propping myself up helps me sleep some. Even if that means she has to sleep in a recliner or with several pillows it's worth a try.
I wish I could prop her up. I slept with her once in a hotel room, It is like an all night wrestling match. She is all over the place.

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Sorry I had to laugh I was imagining her at the vets office!

I hope she's feeling better soon
I need to specify human or fur child.
She must have an infection because the antibiotics are working. She is coughing much less. She still sounds like her lungs are full of liquid, but her breathing is much better.
I got some sleep last night

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

You said she's 5. Is she in school for the first time? Because when my kids started school- it was NOT fun. One cold after the other. And, they're going to give each other everything under the sun b/c if she's anything like my kids- all they did at school at the end of the day is give each other hugs

On a more serious note, my youngest wound up with mono when she was in
2nd grade. I asked her later if they were "sharing" things at lunch. She said "oh yeah mom- we like to share ALL of our food". SIGH. Needless to say, the teacher had a long talk with the class about sharing drinks and other food that you've already taken a bite out of right after my dtr came down with mono.

Cheryl

You didn't say if Raina is in a kindergarten or preschool... When our daughter started kindergarten here, she was sick constantly, it was unbelievable. I started asking some questions about hygiene at the school and it turns out that the kids NEVER washed their hands before snack or lunch. Even though there were posters up and the newsletters were always talking about hand washing, teachers never brought it up and the kids didn't think of it on their own.

The WORST part, though, and what was keeping many of the kids sick that year, was the music teacher's bowl of jellybeans. After each class, she let each student (she taught the entire school) dig for their favorite color of jellybean. All the little unwashed hands handled all the jellybeans! The school had its worst attendance that year ever.

I hope your daughter make a speedy and full recovery, and I hope you are getting some rest, too.