counter surfing

corteo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My five month old cat Fungo jumps up on the counter and tries to eat food off of it. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep him off? Thanks.

Corteo

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The way we dealt with it was by never leaving food out when we weren't in the kitchen. But they still were curious about the counters. Whenever they jumped up on them, we'd blow a short, sharp puff of air in their face, say NO firmly, and place them on the ground. They learn pretty quickly you don't want them up there - but it may not keep them off!

The next thing we did, though it was a PIA for us, was cover the counter with boxes. Instead of cereal boxes, mixes, etc. in the cupboards, we completely covered the counters with them for about three weeks. There was no where to jump up. Like I said - it was a PIA for us. But by then, they lost interest, and the counters had become a non-event.

Someone else went the other way - completely cleared the counters of everything and put NOTHING on them for several weeks. The counters became "uninteresting," and that stopped the counter hopping.

Another friend put strips of aluminum foil (not taped down) along the edges - so when kitty jumped up, the foil felt weird, it would skid on the counter, and it freaked the cat out, so jumping up on the counter was just not FUN. (To do this you have to make sure there's nothing dangerous for them to run into or crash over).

But as to the food? Other than prepping for meals, simply don't leave food out on the counter! It's just too tempting.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corteo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I will try your methods. BTW my counters look like industrial kitchen counters from the foil LOL.

Corteo

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

maybe I'm stating the obvious- but always keep a pot of cold water near the hot plates of your cooking range, which you can place over cooktops while they're cooling down after cooking.

A cat can burn its little paws on a hot cooking range top
, especially if he's use to walking on the cold surface when you're not around and jumps up on it after you've been cooking. You'd think that a cat would be smarter than to get itself burnt- but then again enough cats get their whiskers singed by candles.

Our cooking range here in Germany is electic and an even ceran surface, which is flush with the counter tops. Maybe your range is different- if so please disregard my post.

Christine

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Someone else went the other way - completely cleared the counters of everything and put NOTHING on them for several weeks. The counters became "uninteresting," and that stopped the counter hopping.

That worked for Ku Ku.

She used to try jumping up every time I started cooking.
Even after I cleaned off everything, she still did not stop trying. I even caught her wondering around on the counter several times while I stepped away for a second! My guess is, she probably thought that that's where WE automatically get food from or something..."a magic counter" for food, lol.

Anyways, I stopped leaving any food - and I mean ANY FOOD including spices, herbs, condiments etc anything edible - on the counter except for the time of cooking. I'm sure she did jump up while I wasn't around but I believe she learned there was absolutely "no goodies" for her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get plastic carpet runners from the hardware store and cut them to fit your counter space. Turn them upside down so the little plastic nubs are on top. When kitty jumps up, she'll jump on the nubs which will be an unpleasant (not harmful) experience. Should take care of it in short order.

beccajean4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used a little squirt gun for my counters everytime I catch them I give them a little squirt and they jump down they eventually catch on that when they do that they get a little wet and dont like it so they stop... unless your cat likes water. I have soaked Thandor and he loves it... so its just getting him down everytime

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have read recently the squirt guns are a bad idea - kitties are likely to get ear infections from water spray, and they begin to associate you with an unpleasant experience, and lose trust.

We just haven't had that much luck with the squirt bottles anyway. Wet kitties can misbehave just as well as dry ones, we've learned.

The plastic carpet runners are cheap, and they seem to work on my fish tank at least; I assume they would help on the counters too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yelloweyes

I have read recently the squirt guns are a bad idea - kitties are likely to get ear infections from water spray, and they begin to associate you with an unpleasant experience, and lose trust.

We just haven't had that much luck with the squirt bottles anyway. Wet kitties can misbehave just as well as dry ones, we've learned.

The plastic carpet runners are cheap, and they seem to work on my fish tank at least; I assume they would help on the counters too.
You are right. Do not spray kitties with water. If they get an ear infection and it isn't treated quickly it can become bad enough to cause deafness.

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another thing you can try is putting double-sides tape on the counter where they jump up. They don't like the sensation on their paws, and will quickly learn to avoid it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else I tried when Hannah was constantly on the counters was to save Coke cans (or whatever you drink). Rinse them out and fill partially with dry beans. Tape the hole closed and line them on the counter, near the edge. Hannah would jump up and into the cans making a horrible ruckus that would scare the living daylights out of her. She quickly learned that was not a place for kitties! (And it was quite entertaining, too!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corteo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I will try your methods. Also I don't think that the food off the counters will work, since I recently noticed that he also jumps on the counters to look out the window. And the foil didn't keep him off long.

Corteo