I have an unwanted cat visitor at night - any suggestions?

tomsaunders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I already own a cat, and he's very friendly - just not very territorial if you understand.

My cat is two and a half years old, white, British shorthair male (neutered). He's the friendliest cat around. The problem is, there's another cat coming in my catflap every night and eating the food. I'm not sure what sex he/she is or it's age, but it certainly isn't put off by my cat's territory.

I live in a flat, and there's only one entrance for the cats. Recently I've got up in the night and this little black cat gets spooked and runs out of the catflap before I can see it. Last night, and the night before, I got up to find my cat (Hank) sitting watching the other cat roam around my flat. I was a little disappointed that he didn't hiss or anything. When the other cat saw me, he made a sharp exit and my cat had a bit of nerves about him.

Is there anything I can do to help my cat keep his territory to himself? I don't really want another cat coming in (and especially eating the food) because he may even be a stray, with diseases.

My cat is fully vaccinated by the way, and I never see this cat except in the middle of the night.

I hope somebody has a suggestion?

Thanks,

Tom

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you do something to help the little black stray? Maybe get a rescue involved? He is coming in b/c he knows there is food there and he must be hungry.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Could you do something to help the little black stray? Maybe get a rescue involved? He is coming in b/c he knows there is food there and he must be hungry.
Yeah I agree! most definatly you should try to help this kitty! put up fliers and see if it is someones cat and if not contact local no kill shelters and see if they will take him or her.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are special pet doors that only open for your own pet. Your cat wears a radio collar, and the collar sends a signal allowing your cat to go in and out; strange cats not wearing the collar are kept out. Just search the term "radio controlled pet door" and you'll find lots of examples.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Or, better yet, lock it permanently. Indoor cats live longer and healthier lives. Free roaming cats have also contributed to the endangered and threatened status of several species of bird.