What to Feed a Senior Cat

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have read all these threads about wet VS dry and making sure that cat food has a low grain content and a high protein content...and I'm feeling very educated. I'm ready to slowly introduce my cats to Natural Balance or Wellness Core (I'm going to PetSmart today to investigate).

However, two of my cats are almost 12 years old and I have it in my head that they're supposed to have senior cat food (currently they are getting the Science Diet dry food for senior cats).

What is it about senior cat food that is different from adult cat food? Do I even need to worry about this? Both of my senior cats are still somewhat active and very healthy...so I don't feel like weight is an issue with either one of them.

Help!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get the idea of senior cat food out of your head!

Think of it this way, would an older wild cat eat anything different than a younger wild cat? No they'd have the same diet.

The difference in most senior foods is that they have less protein and fat which raises the carbs in the food--they usually have less calories as well.

The only thing I would do for a senior cat is have a yearly blood panel done.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks! That is all I needed to know. I'll just find a nice, healthy cat food and slowly introduce them all to it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some senior foods also have glucosamine and/or chondroitin for joint health.
Great if you have an obviously arthritic cat, or a cat diagnosed as having joint issues.

Instead of feeding a senior food, I feed adult maintenance food and supplement my senior with Cosequin and a heated bed.

Never supplement without consulting your vet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Great if you have an obviously arthritic cat, or a cat diagnosed as having joint issues.

Instead of feeding a senior food, I feed adult maintenance food and supplement my senior with Cosequin and a heated bed.

Most senior foods increase antioxidants as well, some also increase fatty acids without increasing overall fats... If feeding a senior cat dry IMHO if you can feed a senior dry as the lower protein and fat will stress the kidneys and liver less than typical adult food .. If feeding wet and dry IMHO I would feed adult dry and wet

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

We just found out Nabu has arthritis.
It's quite visible on x-rays. After talking with the vet, we are switching to Wellness Indoor (it has glucosamine in it) - but currently mixing it with Purina Vibrant Maturity (has glucosamine) and the remainder of a bag of California Natural (which is all life stages).

Nabu doesn't like to take pills or take stuff mixed in his food. I am using Happy Hips Treats from Catswell for him too.

Previous to this we were feeding just regular adult food.
His wet food is the same, Friskies or Fancy Feast. We've tried changing that, but that's all he wants. So he gets what he wants.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by anjhest

It's official. My head is spinning!
Sorry ... Lets see if it can be simplified , When was the last senior panels done?? was or is anything out of normal range ?? Anything borderline??

Natural balance IMHO is fine for most seniors as the protein and fat is low to mid normal adult

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Sorry ... Lets see if it can be simplified , When was the last senior panels done?? was or is anything out of normal range ?? Anything borderline??

Natural balance IMHO is fine for most seniors as the protein and fat is low to mid normal adult
Thanks for the simplification.

It has been 2-3 years since the senior panels were done. I have made an appointment for March 30th to have those done again.

I bought cans of Blue Buffalo, Nutro Natural Choice, and Authority from PetSmart the other day. I'll feed them those for now. There is a PetCo just outside of town, I'll go there to purchase Natural Balance.

As far as Natural Balance, is there a senior formula? Or do you suggest just the adult formula?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NB has an all life stage thought in formulating ... ie only their light formulas say adult all others say kitten and adult