Ok, I'm freaking out now.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the last 2 months I've gone through test after test to find out what is causing the bad cramping every few months. I've had ultrasounds, cat scans, endoscopy, colonoscopy, and a D&C. Everything came back negative and apparently I'm healthy as a horse.

In the middle of all this, I got my first mammogram, just because I'm getting to that age (39) and I figured it would be good to have a base image to go by in the years to come. The mammogram was the LAST thing I was worried about. Well today, I get a call from the Gyno's office saying they have to schedule me for a breast biopsy. Apparently, there is an "unknown mass" and they want to find out what it is.

See, this is why I hate going to doctors....they always refer you to someone else.

In my mind, I know that a biopsy isn't a big deal. My mom had one when I was in college and it turned out benign. I'm just starting to feel like a guinee pig. I'm tired of being poked, prodded, stuck, drained, etc. And yes, I AM freaking out. To me, "biopsy" = the "C" word. I know that's stupid, but thats where my imagination goes as soon as I hear that word. The only good thing is hopefully, if it IS that, they caught it soon enough because my Gyno didn't notice a problem and I do monthly checks on myself.

If anyone can spare any calming vibes it would be great. I have to get ready to go to work and deal with stupid people all day, and I'm about ready to throw up.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*HUGS*

I know there is nothing I can say to ease your fears of the worst.

It is a great thing that you decided to do the baseline biopsy. At your age, it is unlikely that it is cancer. Just take several deep breaths throughout the day to calm yourself if you need to. I find this helps me a lot when I am stressed/worried. I take 10 seconds to breathe deeply and find that it calms me quite a bit.

You're going to be okay.

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Calming Vibes

Just keep repeating "everything is okay, everything is okay" and breathe!

Do you have moles on your boobs? My mom said they cover up her moles so they don't show up as a spot.

I've been having chest pains so my doctor did some tests...blood, EKG, 24 hour EKG...and it all came back normal. She did put me on anti-anxiety and pain meds, which are helping. It could just be my acid reflux or anxiety but I want to make sure, so today after work I go back to the doctor and I'm going to ask for my first mammogram. (I'm 37.) I'm scared, my mom says it hurts.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are having a tough time, I hope that you find out what is going on with the mass quickly, and that they can stop the cramps.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many many vibes.... I also had a biopsy when I was about 27, and was freaking out, but it turned out to be a huge lump - they removed it and everything was fine, it was benign.
There is a huge, huge chance that it's going to be benign, so think positively, and try to not worry about it too much. I know it's hard, but worrying about it will not make an inch of difference - whatever it is, it will come on the biopsy, wanting or not.
You will be fine...
Hugs and vibes -

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it is, keep in mind that they caught it.....and however it turns out, you were pro-active, and you do self-exams. Take one day at a time, don't try to project into the future, until you hear definite news. A biopsy is a scary word, and a scary thing.....take someone with you. I did and we went out for Mexican food and margaritas afterwards.

The waiting afterwards is the worst, but, once again, take each day as you're waiting, try to stay calm, and share your feelings with close friends.....talk about it.

I've been there....if you'd like to PM me, feel totally free to do that.

Sending good vibes to you!!!! And big hugs!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i had one biopsied when i was in my 20s [needle aspiration] & it was nothing. i've since had to have at least 1 ultrasound - i evidently have 'lumpy boobs'
but none of them have been anything.
my mother had a lumpectomy when she was in her late 40s/early 50s. the lump [which she felt] was obviously cancerous. it was diagnosed via mammogram.
so if mine are nothing, even w/my family history, yours most likely is, as well.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dottie has a lump in one breast that every doctor wants to re-test, etc., every few years. It's nothing, always been there, but they just don't get it.

As far as the unexplained cramps are concerned, my first out-of-the-box wild guess would be endometriosis. Almost impossible to diagnose without surgery.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 3 lumps before.
I was 22 when i had the first lump and was very scared.
Then I had 2 more before I was 30.
The dr said what they were but i do not remember the name.
My mom had one and it was breast cancer.
Prayers for everything to be ok with you.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know you, but I'm offering up all good thoughts & prayers!

Endometriosis was my first though as well. The most common surgical procedure to diagnose is through a laparoscopy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! You guys are great!
. You'll be happy to know I'm calmer now and my "freaking out" meter is down to a 4 instead of a 10. It just really threw me for a loop this morning. I just had a D&C done on Friday to check for polyps or cysts and the doctor said that was completely normal, then I get the phone call this morning about this. I swear, I want my 20 year old body back!!!

You all are right, worrying about it isn't going to help anything and will just give me an ulcer (oh heck, might as well throw one of those into the mix too
j/k).

Originally Posted by Poppy0109

I've been having chest pains so my doctor did some tests...blood, EKG, 24 hour EKG...and it all came back normal. She did put me on anti-anxiety and pain meds, which are helping. It could just be my acid reflux or anxiety but I want to make sure, so today after work I go back to the doctor and I'm going to ask for my first mammogram. (I'm 37.) I'm scared, my mom says it hurts.
Actually, I was surprised that my mammogram wasn't near as painful as I thought it was going to be. I won't lie and say it was a pleasant experience, but it was just uncomfortable. The worst part was having some stranger fiddling with the "girls", but the technician was very nice and we spent the whole time talking about our pets so she took my mind off it.

I would recommend, if you can, schedule it the week AFTER your period. I don't know about you, but my boobs usually get so sore the week before and during that it hurt sometimes to wear a bra. If anyone even THOUGHT about smooshing them at that point I would probably deck them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

I don't know you, but I'm offering up all good thoughts & prayers!

Endometriosis was my first though as well. The most common surgical procedure to diagnose is through a laparoscopy.
Thanks! And, you know me now.

Question, would endometriosis show up with a D&C and hystdoscopy (sp?)?. I had that done on Friday but I don't know if the doctor has gotten the results back from the D&C yet.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Thanks! And, you know me now.

Question, would endometriosis show up with a D&C and hystdoscopy (sp?)?. I had that done on Friday but I don't know if the doctor has gotten the results back from the D&C yet.
Those can verify whether there is a source of bleeding or the presence of polyps/fibroids, etc., but a laparoscopy is the only way to definitively confirm & diagnose endometriosis.

It must be a real weight to have these two things happening at the same time.
Don't you be worrying too much! You have a lot friends here rallying behind you and to have a
!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having gone thru about 30 biopsies and a lumpectomy, my advice to you is this: request that you have an ultrasound before you have a biopsy. What the ultrasound will show that a mammogram will not is whether or not there is blood flow to the lump. The type of biopsy that they will perform is often dependent on that. If no blood flow, then they do a simple needle aspiration. If there is blood flow, then the biopsy will be done with a larger "needle" and done via a real time ultrasound.

The needle aspirations? Piece of cake. I got to a point that it hurt more to inject the nerve deadoner than it was to do the aspiration, so I'd tell them to just do it.

PM me if you want more details. Some are personal enough that I won't post in open forum.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never having had to face this yet, I can understand you would have been freaking! I'm so glad you've gotten so much great advice, and I'm glad you're feeling better about it all now.

all is well! (And that they get to the route of the cramps!)

Laurie

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it wonderful how much we can learn from each other here?

I found a lump several years ago and was terrified -- but I had it removed about 9:00 one morning, and by 1:00 I was sitting at a restaurant having lunch with my mom. Better yet, my phone rang during the salad with news that it was perfectly benign!

I hope your biopsy goes just as smoothly, and with the same great news.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I forgot to add: the vast majority of lumps turn out benign. But you can't rest comfortably until you find out for sure.

The things that contribute to them: caffeine and chocolate. I'm sorry to break that news to you.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You could just have fibrocystic breast disease, which sounds awful--but all it is are little benign cysts (I used to have it years ago). I think they are like grape clusters. They would swell, and cause soreness. Caffeine aggravates them; they told me to lay off chocolate, nuts, and coffee/tea/soda (I didn't!).

You may need to go for ultrasounds every so often. I think I read that women with this may have more of a chance of getting cancer, but I think what they mean is that, should you have a cancerous lump, you may not suspect it due to the cysts, so that could be a big problem.

I hope all goes well--most likely, nothing is wrong, and they are just being cautious--and, if you DO have a tumor, this is the time to take care of it--you are fortunate to have found it at this stage. My best friend had the same thing happen (but she's much older than you), and it was cancerous, but she's fine. She had the tiny lumps removed; they gave her 6 weeks of radiation, and now she takes a chemo pill every day (at home). You would never know she has cancer; her life is normal, and the prognosis is very, very good.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear to hear all this! I hope the news is good news! I'll be praying for you. Lots of
and