Is my SPARKY going to die?

bebo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I am a new member here in this forum. I've joined the site because it is all about CATS. Well I am not a very well experienced pet's owner but I have to be because now I have a new member in my family Sparky a male Persian kitten. He is three months old. Lonesome to some extent but he loves to be around people, not that much playful, but a very selective eater in my opinion which is a disaster!

He is my first experience with pets. That's why I tried my best to do some reading about cats and kittens from A to Z. How to nurse them and how to feed them, etc but still I don’t feel enough confident! My background is limited and I lack experience but I am willing to change this. Moreover, I need to take some actions otherwise my kitten is going to die.

REALLY my Sparky is going to die out of hunger, unless I do something about his eating habits. He needs to gain some wait. He is very skinny! Believe me guys I can feel his bones. His appetite is not good at all. I tried offering him some food but he doesn't eat at all he only drinks milk. That’s it only milk and nothing else. No wit food and no dry food only milk! I WONDER why he doesn't feel hungry!

Yesterday when I woke up I went to check on him and when I looked at his litter I found some blood with his loose yellow stool so I immediately called my niece and she advised me to take him to the clinic. So I took him to the "Tahliah International Veterinary Clinic." Because my niece told me that they are the best. There they examined him physically. Also they gave him an injection for the diarrhea and a vitamin tablet." Poor Sparky!

Everyone there was so angry at me thinking that I am a careless owner, who doesn’t take good care of her pet. And this is wrong I am caring but he is stubborn. The doctor simply told me that I have to feed him by force. Furthermore, he advised me to give him some soft food. I tried to feed him boiled chicken breast because he is so afraid of solid food and he ate AT LAST but so little. I hope my Sparky isn’t badly sick or has a bacterial infection! I pray for him to get will soon.

I hope my words are correct and clear because English isn’t my language.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your English is fine. I don't have any advice on how to get your kitty to eat but someone will be along shortly that will be able to help you. Hope you can get your kitty to eat soon.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty is not feeling well
Are you giving him cows milk? if so this may be why he has diarrhea, most cats are lactose intolerant.did they check him for parasites? I hope you can figure out what is wrong with your kitty,and I hope he starts feeling better real soon!Hopefully someone else will come along with more advice!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How old was Sparky when you got him? What were the previous owners feeding? Did they say anything about problems getting him to eat?

What kind of milk are you giving him? Cow's milk is bad for cats. I don't know about goat's milk. Can you get kitten replacement milk, at least until you can get him started eating solid food?

How does he take the milk? From a bottle? Lapping it from a bowl? If he's lapping it, you might try pureed baby food meat--without garlic or spices. Mix a little in with the milk so it's still soupy. Gradually increase the amount of baby food so that eventually that's all you're giving him, without the milk. He will need some vitamin/mineral supplements since baby food does not have complete nutrition for cats. Ask your vet about the supplements.

Once you get him eating the baby food you should be able to start changing him over gradually to kitten food, again by mixing it in with whatever he's already eating.

Good luck with your baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sparky was born in 14-12-2008 so he is approximately three months old. I am his first owner. My husband bought him from a Pet Store in town. This is his 8th day with us. Regarding his eating I used to give him low fat caw milk. Now the doctor advised me to stop giving him wit food for some white and instead turn to dry food and to continue doing so in order to stop the diarrhea. He also advised me not to change a lot in his eating formula because this was the reason behind the continuous diarrhea.
\t\t
Today I took him to the clinic again but to another doctor. I explained to him my kitten's health situation. He checked his ears and he found some black worms in it so he gave him a cortisone injection I think and a vitamin tablet. Later on he put some kind of solution in his ears to kill all the worms. Tomorrow he will clean his ears and see if his situation develops or not. I hope it does. I bought some Royal Canin for him and I hope he eats some of it if not all of it.

Well thank you all for your concern and help. I appreciate it a lot. See you around.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is you are a very good and loving mom to this baby, and I hope you can find the food he'll thrive on. It's hard even when there are a lot of choices to pick from, and cats can be very stubborn regarding their food, even the little kittens. Please keep in touch to let us know how you're all doing.

If he won't try the dry food right away, maybe wet a little of it with water to make it a little more mushy. Just remember not to leave wet food out for very long (I take it up in about 30 minutes), because wet will spoil faster than dry kibble.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What he found in your kitty's ears was probably ear mites. They aren't really worms and they are not that unusual.

The others have given you some good advice. Stop giving cow's milk. Goat's milk is OK usually.

If you can heat up some canned food a little bit (not too hot of course) to make it more smelly for the kitty and try getting the kitty to eat it from your fingers to start with. Changing to dry food will not necessarily stop the diarrhea. Wet food is healthier for kitties but most of us feed both wet and dry.

I'm glad you found this website. Folks here will try to help you as much as we can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bebo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you a lot Darlili for your sweet encouraging words. It was all what I needed to hear. You also Yosemite I am glad I am here in this forum. It is my second home.

Well I am trying to be more patient with him. My mom advised me to start experimenting with him different kind of foods of different flavors. I hope this works with him because actually, I prefer home made recipes than canned food. Lets us hope I find his favorite.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep in mind that canned (and dry) cat foods have several important nutrients added back in that are destroyed in cooking, the main one being taurine.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am sure your Sparky will be OK now he has a caring owner like you. But as others have said, do not feed cow milk - it can give kittens diarrhoea. I use goat milk for sick kittens very successfully. You can beat it up with an egg yolk (not the white) for extra nutrition. Apart from finding the right food, it is important that your kitten is in good general health, and that you treat him regularly for worms and fleas, as these can also cause stomach upsets. Your vet will advise you as to the best products available locally. Good luck with him and do show us a picture if possible.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't switch his food every day like your mom suggested, that can cause major stomach upsets with dirreha. When you need to switch cat foods it has to be over a 2-3 week period, mixing in a little of the new food each time-increaing the amount over time.

Good luck, keep us updated!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

I wouldn't switch his food every day like your mom suggested, that can cause major stomach upsets with dirreha. When you need to switch cat foods it has to be over a 2-3 week period, mixing in a little of the new food each time-increaing the amount over time.

Good luck, keep us updated!
Switching food slowly to prevent diarrhea is more important for dry food. Wet food doesn't seem to have the same issues if switching them around. And, even then it will depend on your cat - Bijou and Mika have never had any problems with me switching their dry food abruptly.

I do think it is worth repeating that if you decide to cook food for them you will need to do some research and buy the additives required to make it a healthy diet for your cats. Taurine, as mentioned above, is very important and will need to added for sure. I'm not sure what other supplements need to be added but please do your research before taking on this commitment.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitten was born December 14th, he is not 3 months old. He's only 7 weeks - he should honestly still be with his mother at this age.

You must get a good kitten formula for him, ask your vet if you don't know where to find any. His young age is why he isn't interest in as much foods yet and why he's so tiny. Once you get him on a formula you can start mixing a little wet canned kitten food in with it so that it makes a gruel, feed him this and slowly make the mix with less and less formula in it. He should be ok by 12 weeks old to finally go off formula - but if he's still a little under weight let him have it for a couple weeks more.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The OP isn't in the US - and I believe the range of foods she has access to is more limited than here And, while in a perfect a kitten should be with mom longer, even here you see a ton of 6 week olds up for adoption.

To me it sounds like she's doing the best she can, and way more than a lot of people would, no matter where's she located - already two visits to the vet to make sure she's doing everything as well as possible.. I'm sure she'll be pestering her vet for the best foods available to her - I think she said she already picked up some Royal Canin. Certainly if love can help nourish her kitty, that cat is going to flourish!

And, if kitty were born on December 14, I'm counting 11 weeks and some days, no?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

The OP isn't in the US - and I believe the range of foods she has access to is more limited than here And, while in a perfect a kitten should be with mom longer, even here you see a ton of 6 week olds up for adoption.
I merely pointed out the age because this is the main problem, it is not easy for a new cat owner with no experience with young kittens to take this on. It's difficult enough for one who has it!

And whether in the US or not, it does not make my feeding suggestions invalid. I've taken in several orphan kittens that have ranged from a few days old to 3-4 weeks or older - this is something I have experience with. Also, if anyone has kitten/small animal formula it should be the vet, hence why I suggested asking the vet. This is the best way to get weight on a young kitten, short of finding a female cat to nurse it.

Another thing I left out, younger kittens need several feedings. 2-3 times a day will not be enough for one so young! I suggest the OP looks through our pregnant cat and kitten section for more tips.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A kitten born on Dec. 14 would be 11 weeks old now, so almost three months. That means the OP got him at about 10 weeks, but there's no way to tell when he was actually taken away from his mother.

Bebo, it sounds like you're doing the best you can for your new baby. It has to be confusing when you're getting conflicting opinions from a lot of different people. Have you found anything yet that he'll eat? I wouldn't worry too much about his weight. That will increase as you get him eating and get the diarrhea under control. Also, some kittens are just smaller than others. All of mine were between 3.5 and 4 pounds at 12 weeks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

A kitten born on Dec. 14 would be 11 weeks old now, so almost three months.
I don't know why I put 7, I must be losing it. I was talking about cranial nerves elsewhere... the 7th one in fact, maybe that's why?

Either way, asking the vet for more help could not hurt.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that you are not in the US, but can you get something similar to KMR. It is a milk replacement powder that when added to water makes a milk like liquid. Given that you kitten is still young it would be a good thing for him. I wish you the best of luck. I know there is nothing scarier than a sick kitten. I also commend you for taking him to the vet, that was the best thing to do. Hopefully your vet will be able to help, and be understanding that you need help to get you kitty healthy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
here's a link to a recipe for a homemade formula, btw, if you think that's something that would help Sparky...
kitten glop
scroll down the page until you reach it.