Online Grocery Shopping

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use the service?

I've been doing more online shopping as time goes by, and started thinking that buying groceries online in the near future might not be a bad idea - especially considering all the health problems that are beginning to confine both me & my s/o. It's getting more difficult all the time for us to get out and shop.
So I thought that shopping online for groceries & personal supplies might be advantageous, but I didn't know that there was such a thing available - that is, not till today when I was talking to a friend of mine, and she told me there IS such a thing - so I checked it out. You can even buy groceries & the like from Amazon!
How cool is that!
I use Amazon a lot! So I'm seriously considering shopping that way from now on.

Does anyone else shop online for groceries? What do you think about it?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say I have but I'm familiar with online shopping through local grocery stores here were we live. I think it's a great idea and wish I'd thought of it because right now I'd be somewhere in Hawaii enjoying my earnings lol I do know that some use a warehouse and if out of an item they will substitute. I'd check to see how that works also. I might be doing the same down the road sometime!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done it numerous times when i was sick and needed groceries and meds. Safeway does it here, as well as a few other independent companies. Back in Chicago, I used Peapod, one of the independents. There's a fee, for delivery and all, but if your grocery bills are reasonably sized, it's worth it. You can schedule a window of time for them to show...

Amanda

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done it as well. The only issue I had was that there are certain items that I don't want substituted and are not always available from the delivery stores.

Other than that, their service was wonderful. They carry the boxes right into your house and put them on the kitchen counter for you.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't actually used the online service, but my favourite (independent) supermarket does this, and if that service is as good as the rest of their service, it would be great. I do know that they have a weekly schedule for deliveries by area, within which you can select a time window, and that there is a small service/delivery charge -- $10 I think -- which I'd certainly consider reasonable.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used online grocery delivery services on and off since our daughter was born almost 11 years ago. We used one in Boston when we had a new baby, two jobs, no car, and it was a lifesaver!

I'm three blocks from the grocery store here and we have a car, but it's $5 to have groceries delivered that I've picked out, $6 fee to order them online and have delivered.

I'd order online again in a heartbeat if I wasn't so close to the store. Love it. Hate shopping.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do my grocery shopping online every week and it's great!. I find Tesco which is one of the large supermarkets here is much better than the others, because everything you want is in stock so theres no substitutes. It's probably because my shopping comes from one of the huge stores instead of the normal sized supermarkets?

This is the one i shop from if anyones interested to have a nose around the aisles

http://www.tesco.com/

I get my shopping delivered on a monday between 3-5.p.m, and i usually do the following weeks shopping on the tuesday and add to it later on if i need something else.

It's great that you can do it at your leisure, and add or remove things up until the day before it gets delivered.

It certainly beats having to stand in queues, packing then the drive home to unpack it all

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've done it as well. The only issue I had was that there are certain items that I don't want substituted and are not always available from the delivery stores.

Other than that, their service was wonderful. They carry the boxes right into your house and put them on the kitchen counter for you.
Can you send me a link to where you've shopped from?

I'd be interested in seeing more about grocery shopping, I doubt I'd use it much though because I'm a sale shopper and picky on my fruits and veggies... but there may be times where I need something and not be able to go out to get it....

thx

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Can you send me a link to where you've shopped from?

I'd be interested in seeing more about grocery shopping, I doubt I'd use it much though because I'm a sale shopper and picky on my fruits and veggies... but there may be times where I need something and not be able to go out to get it....

thx
Chris, it's been over 6 years since I used this service so I honestly forget what they were called. You can google home grocery delivery for your area and you should be able to find the stores in your area that will deliver. Chambers and Ezgrocer both seem to deliver and may be in your area.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

It doesn't seem like the stores in my area offer this service
Try doing an internet search - sometimes it's not the local grocery stores per se that do it, it's a different company completely.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have online grocery shopping available here. I would use it though for things like canned, cleaning, frozen, dairy and dry goods. But I would still go and shop for my own meats and produce.

A few years ago when I broke my foot the manager of the local Safeway was nice enough to bend the rules and had one of his staff shop for me and arranged for delivery. The groceries were billed to my credit card.

I was happy with all of it, but there were mistakes IE: wrong cat litter and I wasn't happy with some of the produce selections. Otherwise it was fine.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen that offered at a local store and always wondered about it. I think it is a great service to offer for people that otherwise can't physically go to the store or that don't want to mess with it or don't have the time. I am picky about my produce and fish, would have to pick it out myself.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've used Amazon; try to get the free shipping deal. Be aware that things are not always cheaper there. I usually stock on Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea, because of the free shipping; but, when I have store coupons, which is often, I can get it a little cheaper then.

Also, beware the expiration dates! I stocked up on 2 cases of Kraft Easy Mac; never thinking they would send me ones that expired in less than 6 months! I never want to eat Easy Mac ever again!
(Even after a repeated diet of of it, I still had to trash some, as it expired). As far as I know, there's no way to check the expy dates before buying from them.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could never use I service like that as I love grocery shopping.

I could shop for everyone here!!

Also I buy certain items at different stores plus go to a meat market, cheese shop, my place of employment and in the summer the farmers market. So that wouldn't work for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

It doesn't seem like the stores in my area offer this service
Try this link:

http://shop.netgrocer.com/shop.aspx?...1&catL0=0&ns=1

What I did was key in "online groceries" in Google, and it brought up quite a few options. Amazon also offers the service too, but I'm not sure I'd shop through them that way b/c it seems as if they sell groceries & such in bulk. In some cases I wouldn't mind the bulk option, but I'm not so sure I want to purchase my food items that way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I ought to move back to Wisconsin!
Heck, I'd PAY you to go shopping for me!

It's not that I mind going shopping, I just can't handle it like I used to b/c of my back disability.
All that walking & standing just kills me now.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Also I buy certain items at different stores plus go to a meat market, cheese shop, my place of employment and in the summer the farmers market. So that wouldn't work for me.
I would only use it for dry goods and canned goods. I also go to special stores for fruit, cheese and specialty items. It was nice not having to lug home heavy cans of tomato sauce, big awkward cereal boxes, cases of water, and that sort of thing though.