One of our kittens has a urinary tract infection

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few days ago when cleaning the litter box I noticed some dark red/brownish waste, thought it might of just been the poo rubbing off on the crystal kitty litter. Both kittys were playful, and acted them self. I kept an eye but didnt notice anything, the next morning I saw it again, then I kept an eye on the kittens. I watched our (7 week old) kittys and noticed Duffy (the male) going to the box, saw him pee then walk away and saw the blood!

Took him to the vet and left him so they could get a sample, they said it looked bad and they havent seen it often in kittens this young. The urine was VERY bloody and red, dark red. I feel bad because I wish I took him a day ealier when I first noticed it.

Anyways he is on antibiotics, the day we took him in he was laying around quite a bit and not eating as much as usual. Now he seems to be eating better, and is defently more playful!

We give him the antibiotics, try to make him drink as much water as we can and feed him more then our usual amout of wet-food.

Any more tips, or reasons why he might of got this?! He did have a slight URI or cold so the vet said his immune system might of been down. Do you think this will lead to lots of problems with him in the future?

Thanks,
Matt

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is pretty young for a uti.
Can they do a ultrasound of the bladder?
Tha would show what is gong on.
There could be something else going on with the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

That is pretty young for a uti.
Can they do a ultrasound of the bladder?
Tha would show what is gong on.
There could be something else going on with the kitten.
They didnt suggest that, so im not sure, they did blood work and gave us antibiotics. Young thats what they told me too. We love these kittens and we are fostering them but we are in love with them and want to keep them, we havent signed the adoption papers yet so were hoping the shelter can help us with the fees.

Im just worried this kitten might have major problems when he grows up if he is already having this problem at such a young age?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Its hard to say.
My Meeko almost died when she was 3 months old and she will be 9 in June.
From what?

Also Duffy is much better even more playful and her urine is a bright yellow.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko got very sick before I got her and had severe anemia and a heart murmur. She also had a infection and weighed one pounds.
We were called to take her to the er vet and they saved her.
Her sister died.
I am glad Duffy is better.
I would watch him though because urine infections tend to come back once it happens.
My Coco has had them since Aug 2006 on and off.
She is now on Baytril an will stay on it forever.